Guide to using Amex Card in LOS...

I just returned from the US, with a new Amex Card.. not happy about the 2.7% foreign transaction fee, but getting 200 usd bonus, if I spend 1000, with no annual fee.  I used it at King Power.. (liter of Jameson, 900 THB).. I recall them working at Tesco.  Whatabout 711?  Any other nuances?  Will there actually be businesses that only take Thai Amex?  MEA?  Been using us visa card.  Big C? 

I have used my Thai AmEx card at Tesco, PTT fuel stations and our local hospital.

Many places like HomePro etc. don't accept it but IIRC Index Living Mall do (it was a while ago).

We are not MEA, but I think the PEA app takes AmEx, I can't check as you can only get to the payment gateway if you have an outstanding bill.

27 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I think the OP has the wrong AMEX card. Mine is issued has an annual fee of $495 dollars. No foreign transaction fees. $300 spending credit at hotels, one free hotel night per year, and a priority pass membership (airport lounges). Pays for itself.

But how do you pay your girlfriend's family? 

Why on earth bother?  Since moving to Thailand, I have been able to get both a Capital One cc with 1.5% cashback, and a State Department Federal Credit Union card with 2% cashback.  No foreign transaction fee on either.  The SDFCU card hasn't arrived yet, but I have been using the CapOne card regularly for some years now without any problems.  I still have an Amex card, but I would never use it outside the US.

2 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Why on earth bother?  Since moving to Thailand, I have been able to get both a Capital One cc with 1.5% cashback, and a State Department Federal Credit Union card with 2% cashback.  No foreign transaction fee on either.  The SDFCU card hasn't arrived yet, but I have been using the CapOne card regularly for some years now without any problems.  I still have an Amex card, but I would never use it outside the US.

You feel it worthwhile to mention getting back 15 usd on a 1000 spend, maybe put on your bottle bottoms and read the part about me getting 200 back on a 1000 spend... only 1200% more.  Next. 

11 minutes ago, moontang said:

You feel it worthwhile to mention getting back 15 usd on a 1000 spend, maybe put on your bottle bottoms and read the part about me getting 200 back on a 1000 spend... only 1200% more.  Next. 

Right.  One time teaser of $170, not $200.  Do I have to explain to you what happens in the future?

On 10/11/2019 at 8:03 AM, Crossy said:

Many places like HomePro etc. don't accept it but IIRC Index Living Mall do (it was a while ago).

My local HomePro certainly accepts it, the local Index Living Mall didn't accept it, but started doing so recently, got an email when they came on board, I seem to recall that Index in Bangkok always accepted them.

Usually use mine at Gourmet Market, Lotus and Villa, hotels and for flights, building up points slowly but surely.

19 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Right.  One time teaser of $170, not $200.  Do I have to explain to you what happens in the future?

Did it occur to you that most of my charges would still be in the US?  Did it occur to you that I may just keep the card for emergencies, and use my other cards in LOS?  Did it occur to you that this thread is about using Amex in Thailand, and not what kind of consumer credit you and your partner use for hamburgers and coffee?  

1 hour ago, moontang said:

Did it occur to you that most of my charges would still be in the US?  Did it occur to you that I may just keep the card for emergencies, and use my other cards in LOS?  Did it occur to you that this thread is about using Amex in Thailand, and not what kind of consumer credit you and your partner use for hamburgers and coffee?  

Sorry, I assumed the benefit of a one-time bonus of $170 was too insignificant to be worth discussing.

4 hours ago, cmarshall said:

Depends on which Amex card. The gold card earning 4 points per $ on dining. Depending on the redemption, Amex points can be worth much more than 1.5% cash back.

On 10/11/2019 at 8:03 AM, Crossy said:

Many places like HomePro

Umm, Crossy, I just bought a new TV at HomePro in July on my Thai AMEX, but more to the point, the poster asked about an AMEX from the USA.

If the business from which you wish to buy or purchase accepts AMEX, they will accept them from any country. It just has to be a good card or have no blocks on it.  You might have to contact AMEX to get the purchase pre-approved.

4 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Umm, Crossy, I just bought a new TV at HomePro in July on my Thai AMEX, but more to the point, the poster asked about an AMEX from the USA.

If the business from which you wish to buy or purchase accepts AMEX, they will accept them from any country. It just has to be a good card or have no blocks on it.  You might have to contact AMEX to get the purchase pre-approved.

Power Buy accepts Thai Mc and visa, but not foreign cards.  They get declined before they reach your issuer.  It appears to be a different process for Thai vs. Others.  Used US Amex at Tesco yesterday. 

10 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

paid with Thai AMEX yesterday. It's mostly the small businesses that don't accept amex due to their high fee

After being turned down at HomePro Rangsit a couple of years back I've not tried it since. Policy may well have changed, it may even vary store to store.

Tesco went through a phase of not accepting it, some sort of banking issue.

It never hurts to ask at customer service of course.

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

After being turned down at HomePro Rangsit a couple of years back I've not tried it since. Policy may have changed of course, it may even vary store to store.

Tesco went through a phase of not accepting it, some sort of banking issue.

been paying at homepro in BKK and CNX many years. In the past they'd tell me you can't get the shop's points when using amex, but haven't said that in the last year or so.

as for lotus, yes, they stopped accepting it a year or 2 ago. Last week I gave it a try and they took it

11 hours ago, moontang said:

Power Buy accepts Thai Mc and visa, but not foreign cards.  They get declined before they reach your issuer.  It appears to be a different process for Thai vs. Others.  Used US Amex at Tesco yesterday. 

I have used my US visa card at Power Buy.

33 minutes ago, wimpy said:

I have used my US visa card at Power Buy.

How recently?  I was denied in July 2018, and needed a lot of stuff for a recent condo purchase.  Did well at Lazada, except for the floor safe with a crooked lock, that was returned.  Oh, it was powerbuy online, which offers deals not in their stores.  Did use it at Homepro online, recently. 

1 minute ago, moontang said:

How recently?  I was denied in July 2018, and needed a lot of stuff for a recent condo purchase.  Did well at Lazada, except for the floor safe with a crooked lock, that was returned. 

It has been a couple years. Maybe it has changed? They are part of Central group. Would think they would use the same credit card processor as Central, Robinson, Office Depot, etc...

3 minutes ago, wimpy said:

It has been a couple years. Maybe it has changed? They are part of Central group. Would think they would use the same credit card processor as Central, Robinson, Office Depot, etc...

Reminds me of trying to use a Citi card at Makro... It is the only one they accept.. but not us Citi.. and of course Citi is a US company.  

Slightly off topic.. I have had an Amex gold charge and Everyday (credit) both US issued for sometime.. the gold charge for well over a decade and the ED card for around 5 years.

I wanted a Thai-issued Amex (I work here with a valid WP) so I stopped by Amex’s office in the SP Building and applied..

While I had to meet the monthly minimum income test for a Thai issued card, they were able to use my US issued cards payment and cardholder history to function as a “credit referral” which made my approval quite easy.

I understand (but haven’t actually done it yet) that something similar may exist with Citi and their Thai-issued cards/application process and Citis’ US card operations.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, new2here said:

Slightly off topic.. I have had an Amex gold charge and Everyday (credit) both US issued for sometime.. the gold charge for well over a decade and the ED card for around 5 years.

I wanted a Thai-issued Amex (I work here with a valid WP) so I stopped by Amex’s office in the SP Building and applied..

While I had to meet the monthly minimum income test for a Thai issued card, they were able to use my US issued cards payment and cardholder history to function as a “credit referral” which made my approval quite easy.

I understand (but haven’t actually done it yet) that something similar may exist with Citi and their Thai-issued cards/application process and Citis’ US card operations.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

annual fee on Thai amex?

Archived