Jump to content
BANGKOK
moontang

Guide to using Amex Card in LOS...

Recommended Posts

On 10/11/2019 at 9:29 AM, moontang said:

But how do you pay your girlfriend's family? 

Amex Platinum Reserve?

 

Edit: saw your following post

Edited by MadMuhammad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 3:15 AM, bslmh said:

I use my Amex card from Europe at bigC, tops, foodland, Bangkok-pattaya hospital

and Rimping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 8:03 AM, Crossy said:

Many places like HomePro

Umm, Crossy, I just bought a new TV at HomePro in July on my Thai AMEX, but more to the point, the poster asked about an AMEX from the USA.

 

If the business from which you wish to buy or purchase accepts AMEX, they will accept them from any country. It just has to be a good card or have no blocks on it.  You might have to contact AMEX to get the purchase pre-approved.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Umm, Crossy, I just bought a new TV at HomePro in July on my Thai AMEX, but more to the point, the poster asked about an AMEX from the USA.

 

If the business from which you wish to buy or purchase accepts AMEX, they will accept them from any country. It just has to be a good card or have no blocks on it.  You might have to contact AMEX to get the purchase pre-approved.

Power Buy accepts Thai Mc and visa, but not foreign cards.  They get declined before they reach your issuer.  It appears to be a different process for Thai vs. Others.  Used US Amex at Tesco yesterday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 8:03 AM, Crossy said:

HomePro etc. don't accept it

paid with Thai AMEX yesterday. It's mostly the small businesses that don't accept amex due to their high fee

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

paid with Thai AMEX yesterday. It's mostly the small businesses that don't accept amex due to their high fee

 

After being turned down at HomePro Rangsit a couple of years back I've not tried it since. Policy may well have changed, it may even vary store to store.

 

Tesco went through a phase of not accepting it, some sort of banking issue.

 

It never hurts to ask at customer service of course.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

 

After being turned down at HomePro Rangsit a couple of years back I've not tried it since. Policy may have changed of course, it may even vary store to store.

 

Tesco went through a phase of not accepting it, some sort of banking issue.

 

been paying at homepro in BKK and CNX many years. In the past they'd tell me you can't get the shop's points when using amex, but haven't said that in the last year or so.

as for lotus, yes, they stopped accepting it a year or 2 ago. Last week I gave it a try and they took it

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, moontang said:

Power Buy accepts Thai Mc and visa, but not foreign cards.  They get declined before they reach your issuer.  It appears to be a different process for Thai vs. Others.  Used US Amex at Tesco yesterday. 

I have used my US visa card at Power Buy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, wimpy said:

I have used my US visa card at Power Buy.

How recently?  I was denied in July 2018, and needed a lot of stuff for a recent condo purchase.  Did well at Lazada, except for the floor safe with a crooked lock, that was returned.  Oh, it was powerbuy online, which offers deals not in their stores.  Did use it at Homepro online, recently. 

Edited by moontang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, moontang said:

How recently?  I was denied in July 2018, and needed a lot of stuff for a recent condo purchase.  Did well at Lazada, except for the floor safe with a crooked lock, that was returned. 

It has been a couple years. Maybe it has changed? They are part of Central group. Would think they would use the same credit card processor as Central, Robinson, Office Depot, etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wimpy said:

It has been a couple years. Maybe it has changed? They are part of Central group. Would think they would use the same credit card processor as Central, Robinson, Office Depot, etc...

Reminds me of trying to use a Citi card at Makro... It is the only one they accept.. but not us Citi.. and of course Citi is a US company.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slightly off topic.. I have had an Amex gold charge and Everyday (credit) both US issued for sometime.. the gold charge for well over a decade and the ED card for around 5 years.

I wanted a Thai-issued Amex (I work here with a valid WP) so I stopped by Amex’s office in the SP Building and applied..

While I had to meet the monthly minimum income test for a Thai issued card, they were able to use my US issued cards payment and cardholder history to function as a “credit referral” which made my approval quite easy.

I understand (but haven’t actually done it yet) that something similar may exist with Citi and their Thai-issued cards/application process and Citis’ US card operations.



Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, new2here said:

Slightly off topic.. I have had an Amex gold charge and Everyday (credit) both US issued for sometime.. the gold charge for well over a decade and the ED card for around 5 years.

I wanted a Thai-issued Amex (I work here with a valid WP) so I stopped by Amex’s office in the SP Building and applied..

While I had to meet the monthly minimum income test for a Thai issued card, they were able to use my US issued cards payment and cardholder history to function as a “credit referral” which made my approval quite easy.

I understand (but haven’t actually done it yet) that something similar may exist with Citi and their Thai-issued cards/application process and Citis’ US card operations.



Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

annual fee on Thai amex?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...