Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Brexit deal can be done by October 31, Ireland says after 'positive' Johnson meeting

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, sanemax said:

Is that the same Tommy Robinson who got attacked by Remainers ?

Attacked or lynched?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, elliss said:

 

  May i add ,  surely the Irish people both North and South , 

      must be allowed a free vote on their destiny , regarding  EU or UK.  in or out.

     Boris,  is a minority group..

 

Yes they are allowed under the GFA but Sinn Fein said some time ago it is a matter of timing. They have to get it right or it would be another 7 years.

A problematic brexit and every chance NI is history, probably what the UK is looking for with the blame on someone else.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, tebee said:

And the DUP are now damned if they support Johnson's deal, damned if they don't .

 

Truly Brexit is cursed - it will destroy all that embrace it .

 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/12/dup-options-johnson-eu-deal-reject-or-endorse-dilemma

Boris Johnson‘s hopes of securing a Brexit deal have been dealt a blow after the DUP‘s deputy leader warned that the plan reportedly being considered by UK and EU officials “cannot work”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-news-boris-johnson-deal-dup-nigel-dodds-ireland-a9153631.html

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sanemax said:

No they cannot .

The UK all voted already , and the vote has been caste .

Its also nothing to do with EIRE . Its the UK's decision .

If the Northern Irish want to vote on leaving the UK, that is a separate issue

All one and the same.

A reunification referendum would be a vote open to all of Ireland and under the cloud of brexit it would be based on NI leaving the UK and joining the EU.

People tend to forget that the EU was instrumental in putting together the GFA and have been funding the peace process since the agreement was made.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Boris Johnson‘s hopes of securing a Brexit deal have been dealt a blow after the DUP‘s deputy leader warned that the plan reportedly being considered by UK and EU officials “cannot work”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-news-boris-johnson-deal-dup-nigel-dodds-ireland-a9153631.html

Cannot work or he desperately doesn't want it to work?

 

Nigel Dodds tweeted, “Northern Ireland being held in the customs union without Great Britain is an obvious breach of the principle of consent in the Belfast Agreement. This would stir up problems in Northern Ireland long after Brexit is resolved.”

 

But it doesn't matter as that would no longer be the EU's problem and solely a British problem and a problem that could be much better handled if the DUP would admit to the folly of their leader's previous corrupt practices as First Minister thus getting Sinn Fein out of their funk and Stormont reopened. In fact isn't part of these 11th-hour deals entail having the concerned Irish parties review the border and Customs 'situation' every 4 years or so? It would be nice if NI started using their parliamentary palace before that. Right now there's a bunch of civil servants muddling along as there are no ministers to actually make decisions. But not much hope of that...

 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/11/northern-ireland-parties-play-down-stormont-being-revived-brexit

 

 

Edited by NanLaew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, sandyf said:

People tend to forget that the EU was instrumental in putting together the GFA and have been funding the peace process since the agreement was made.

They were? I must have missed that bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NanLaew said:

That's exactly why we've been spinning our wheels these last 3 plus years.

 

Elected MP's are entrusted to carry out the will of the people that elected them. End of.

 

Queue the ignorant, racist, old and uneducated Brexit voter spiel...

It might surprise you, but that is false. They are entrusted, most of all, in to decide what's best for the country they serve - i.e. 65 million people, not a minority 17 million. That's political democracy in action in the UK.

 

As for 'the will of the people' this is the 17 million minority who voted to leave the EU in 2016. As far as today's MPS are concerned, what a 17 million minority want is not a democratic rationale in 2019. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People's Vote Please - Deal vs Remain and the election and then we all get our lives back. Only an extremist or a political opportunist without the country's best interests at heart wouldn't want that. See you next Saturday in London. Don't worry no-one will get lynched we are nice people on the Remain side - but bring a milkshake  - to drink........ There maybe a few of these nethanderals roaming around though hopefully plod will sort them out and put Tommy back where he belongs.

 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/12/support-grows-for-new-brexit-poll-amid-fears-pm-plan#img-1

 

 

Image result for football lads brexit

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sandyf said:

All one and the same.

A reunification referendum would be a vote open to all of Ireland and under the cloud of brexit it would be based on NI leaving the UK and joining the EU.

People tend to forget that the EU was instrumental in putting together the GFA and have been funding the peace process since the agreement was made.

Would EIRE want unification ?

I've heard quite often Southerners stating that unification would be more trouble than its worth and they are happy the way it is and they dont want the trouble that unification will bring 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Would EIRE want unification ?

I've heard quite often Southerners stating that unification would be more trouble than its worth and they are happy the way it is and they dont want the trouble that unification will bring 

Yes why would they want the DUP in the their Parliament when we barely want them in ours. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

They were? I must have missed that bit.

Mr Mitchell said the European Union played a part in thawing relations between the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom which enabled the Northern Ireland peace process and was central to the Good Friday Agreement.

"I don't think the European Union was essential in the [Good Friday Agreement] talks themselves, but I believe the talks would never have occurred had there not been a European Union."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-42412972

 

When the EU received the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize, Northern Ireland’s peace process undoubtedly influenced the decision. EU policymakers were supportive of both civil society activists and programme managers throughout the worst days of “The Troubles”, when what was to become the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement seemed utopian.

https://www.newstatesman.com/2018/03/we-helped-negotiate-good-friday-agreement-we-cannot-allow-brexit-destroy-it

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could I take this opportunity to totally and unreservedly condemn this cowardly attack on a Conservative Brexit supporter offices. If I lived in South Warwickshire I would put the bay tree back in the pot and remove the sticker. Special Branch should get involved. That bay tree should have remained in the pot where it was no doubt quite happy. There are also ugly rumours of an empty milkshake cup left on the step as a chilling warning. I note that the Tories are trying to finger the LibDems for this in their hashtag call out if true then this is a stark warning of the social disorder alienated libdems are capable of. First they came for the gnomes and pot plants.....

 

 

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Mr Mitchell said the European Union played a part in thawing relations between the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom which enabled the Northern Ireland peace process and was central to the Good Friday Agreement.

"I don't think the European Union was essential in the [Good Friday Agreement] talks themselves, but I believe the talks would never have occurred had there not been a European Union."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-42412972

 

When the EU received the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize, Northern Ireland’s peace process undoubtedly influenced the decision. EU policymakers were supportive of both civil society activists and programme managers throughout the worst days of “The Troubles”, when what was to become the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement seemed utopian.

https://www.newstatesman.com/2018/03/we-helped-negotiate-good-friday-agreement-we-cannot-allow-brexit-destroy-it

Image result for eu nobel peace prize

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NanLaew said:


But it doesn't matter as that would no longer be the EU's problem and solely a British problem

With the EU on one side of the border and the UK on the other, it is never going to be solely a British problem.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Would EIRE want unification ?

I've heard quite often Southerners stating that unification would be more trouble than its worth and they are happy the way it is and they dont want the trouble that unification will bring 

"the way it is" - is going to change, just waiting to see how.

When things change, points of view also tend to.

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...