Transfer Data to new Computor

gkroo

Firstly, I am totally a <deleted> when it comes to PC items so plse bear that in mind when replying. I currently have a very old DELL desktop (approx 12 years +) running on XP windows and I3 intel. I am considering purchasing a new laptop with WIN 10 installed and was wondering if it is fairly simple to transfer all my bookmarks and some files over to the new laptop or should I just take the old Tower and laptop to a computor whiz to get them to do this ?? Thanks for any assistance ??

Why not take hard drive, if you know how to remove - or the desktop less keyboard/mouse/monitor; with you to shop buying new computer and have them transfer what you want at same time - probably happy to do at little or no cost and likely safer then trying to do yourself.  

OP, if its just bookmarks and some files then its very easy. Just use a usb drive, copy paste etc. OR Copy to cloud storage (onedrive etc), use the same email for new pc and your files will re-sync. Any browser will have export/import bookmarks.

If you are scraping the old laptop then its easy to keep just the hardrive in a usb case/dock, copy files later.

5 hours ago, gkroo said:

VocalNeal, just checked "my computor" and it advises WIN XP 97.6GB total 75.8 GB free, Data D 833GB total 820GB free.

Is this the info you require ?

You are confused. The oldest i3 processor hails from 2010. So your PC cannot be more than ten years old.

You have a partitioned 1 TB HDD.

Even the oldest i3 processor is still more than adequate. Your issue is Windows XP and the 'slow' 1 TB capacity 'spinning disk' drive.

What you should do, is to have a 'fast' solid state drive fitted, leaving your existing 'slow' spinning disk' drive in place.

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/solid-state-drives-ssd/crucial/mx500-250gb-2-5inch-internal-ssd-ct250mx500ssd1-p034803/

All your files will remain on the original 1 TB drive, so you can access and/or manipulate them at any time.

The only thing that needs to be done is to export your Bookmarks/Favourites.

No need for a new laptop unless you actually want one. The PC will be fast and up to date once the SSD has been fitted and Windows 10 install. Total cost 1500 baht plus labour.

Normally I would suggest that you do it yourself, as it is actually really easy. But some people prefer not to do anything for themselves if they can help it.

18 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Related subject, not wishing to highjack the thread. Can anyone recommend a good laptop repair shop? Prefer Chatuchak / Nonthaburi area but anywhere in Bkk is ok. Thanks.

But you did anyway...

7 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

If you are in Pattaya i just upgraded my computer from xp to win 10,had it done by pattaya 2 u,just behind tukcom outside carpark ,not expensive and they transfered 10 yrs worth of stuff over ,did not lose a thing ,11 out of 10 for them.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Super easy job to do yourself....

Did you move to an solid state drive or are you still using the old style, slow mechanical storage?

2 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Can you repeat that in English pleaseemoji3.png havnt a clue mate ,how can you tell?

Did you ask them to fit a solid state drive or buy one for them to fit?

Moving from XP to Windows 10 without swapping to a solid state drive at the same time, is like putting new seats in a Citroen 2CV.

Fitting an SSD at the same time as changing the OS is akin to buying a new car.

Have a look at this video to understand the difference;

The one in the top left hand corner represents your PC with it's original mechanical spinning disc storage.

The one in the top right hand corner represents your PC, but with added RAM/memory.

The one in the bottom left hand corner represents your PC, but with a solid state drive fitted instead of the slow mechanical storage in yours.

The one in the bottom right hand corner represents your PC, but with added RAM and a solid state drive.

So you can see the difference having a solid state drive can make. It's storage without any moving parts. Much quicker and more efficient.

The problem when you don't listen to good advice to learn even just a little about the basics, you end up paying money for old rope.

How much did you pay them?

13 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Can you repeat that in English pleaseemoji3.png havnt a clue mate ,how can you tell?

He is asking if you replaced the old hard disk drive (HDD) with a newer solid state drive (SSD)?  These are normally used in laptops as much faster to respond and boot up but on desktops of a bit less value as often much less storage and in some cases will not work correctly with older software. 

You need to click on the video in order for it to begin playing.
If i click on the video i have downloaded to my movie file ,it plays straight away.but it takes ages sometimes to download a movie to the usb ,others are quick .but i have not a clue what they put in my computer except it now is windows 10 sorry .they did put a larger hard drive he said.

1 hour ago, ivor bigun said:

If i click on the video i have downloaded to my movie file ,it plays straight away.but it takes ages sometimes to download a movie to the usb ,others are quick .but i have not a clue what they put in my computer except it now is windows 10 sorry .they did put a larger hard drive he said.

I was referring to the video in post #14....

We tried to advise you on your own thread; https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1122149-good-computer-guy

but you really didn't do anything other than take it to a shop. So you are none the wiser and 2700 baht down.

You don't even know if they at least installed an SSD for that 2700 baht.

The way to find out is to Right Click on Local Disk C Drive and then on Properties and then on Hardware

Write down the letters and numbers you see written there described as disk drives and post them here.

This will tell us exactly which kind of storage they have installed.

OP: I suggest you do it yourself.  Use a thumb drive or external HD to copy to, then plug it into the new laptop and copy it over.  You can pick up an external 1Tb drive for less than 1,500b.  You can then use it to save your backups of your system. 

If you are comfortable with settings, you can even do a file transfer via wifi.

Yeah, the transfer will take time, but you can set it all up and then just let it run while you sleep, go out etc.  

This morning I had to move over 200Gb to an external drive, took about 2 hours.

BTW, going from XP to Win10 will take some getting used to, you may not appreciate all the new stuff and find it a bother, lots of people do.

10 hours ago, bendejo said:

OP: I suggest you do it yourself.  Use a thumb drive or external HD to copy to, then plug it into the new laptop and copy it over.  You can pick up an external 1Tb drive for less than 1,500b.  You can then use it to save your backups of your system. 

If you are comfortable with settings, you can even do a file transfer via wifi.

Yeah, the transfer will take time, but you can set it all up and then just let it run while you sleep, go out etc.  

This morning I had to move over 200Gb to an external drive, took about 2 hours.

BTW, going from XP to Win10 will take some getting used to, you may not appreciate all the new stuff and find it a bother, lots of people do.

The OP's PC still has a lot of life in it.

It just needs the old style storage method swapped with the new, much faster and more efficient storage method.

No need for a new laptop, unless they actually prefer a laptop over a PC.

22 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

He is asking if you replaced the old hard disk drive (HDD) with a newer solid state drive (SSD)?  These are normally used in laptops as much faster to respond and boot up but on desktops of a bit less value as often much less storage and in some cases will not work correctly with older software. 

Your statements are almost completely erroneous.

SSD may not work correctly with older software??!! From whence did you pull that one out?? Are you writing of pre-1998?

Also wrong to suggest that they are of less value to Desktops. They are, indeed, of equal value.

You also fail to take into account that most Desktops will have the ability to support two or more drives, unlike many older laptops.

So with some laptops it is either or. With Desktops you can usually have both.

So you can leave the existing slow drive on-board for purely storage and add the SSD as the day to day usage Boot drive.

With the OP's device, he can add a Crucial MX 500 250 GB SSD(1390 baht) or 500 GB(1990 baht) and install Windows 10 to it.

He'll then have a super fast day to day experience on the SSD and the ability to use the 1 TB drive as internal storage. 500 GB + 1 TB.

The other thing you got wrong, is the capacity issue. You can pick up 1 TB and 2 TB Crucial MX 500 and up to 4TB Samsung EVO SSD. So clearly not right in your statement of much less storage.

The only issue is cost. That a 1 TB SSD may be more expensive than a 1 TB HDD. But that is not an issue, since you don't need a 1 TB SSD. You are simply adding another drive, not swapping like for like.

The other thing worth a mention, is that there are quite a few laptops that also have the capability of having two storage drives on-board.

Some will have an extra M.2. slot.

On 10/11/2019 at 10:24 AM, gkroo said:

Thank you all for yr feedback, I will probably just take the Tower with me when buying the new laptop and get them to transfer the required files. Thanks again !!!!!

Well if you are happy with that it is all what count, and the shop will be  happy as well. 

On the other hand every information given here is for sure very helpful for the ones who want to do things by themselves.

Always great when one can choose personally what suit ones best. 

1 minute ago, JamJar said:

If you choose to ignore the C drive....

I'm doubting very much there's anything more than his bookmarks which he can export. You can't say his computer is being stretched too far!

Do you ever do anything except confrontation and recommend SSD drives?!

57 minutes ago, JamJar said:

The OP's PC still has a lot of life in it.

It just needs the old style storage method swapped with the new, much faster and more efficient storage method.

No need for a new laptop, unless they actually prefer a laptop over a PC.

The interface has to support the speed of an SSD. Otherwise you waste money for perhaps only a little bit more speed. And the other question is your usage pattern. If you only browse on the internet then the speed of the disc might not be such a problem. But if you really want to have fast speed then there are certain programs that allow you to keep often used data in the RAM. RAM disks for instance will enable this but also certain cache software. No SSD will be that fast. The only thing you need is enough RAM.

On 10/12/2019 at 10:23 AM, ivor bigun said:

If you are in Pattaya i just upgraded my computer from xp to win 10,had it done by pattaya 2 u,just behind tukcom outside carpark ,not expensive and they transfered 10 yrs worth of stuff over ,did not lose a thing ,11 out of 10 for them.

11 out of 10 is that XP 

On 10/11/2019 at 3:08 PM, JamJar said:

You are confused. The oldest i3 processor hails from 2010. So your PC cannot be more than ten years old.

maybe the cpu/ board was upgraded and he never said  bit pompous there
plus maybe he is switching to a notebook for a reason doesnt w ant to be deskbound

On 10/11/2019 at 9:47 AM, Peterw42 said:

If you are scraping the old laptop then its easy to keep just the hardrive in a usb case/dock, copy files 

its a desktop try to keep up 

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

I'm doubting very much there's anything more than his bookmarks which he can export. You can't say his computer is being stretched too far!

Do you ever do anything except confrontation and recommend SSD drives?!

I do intelligence.

OP;

WIN XP 97.6 GB total 75.8 GB

Typical XP installation size; 1.5 GB 

So you think that Bookmarks account for the missing 20.3 GB?

Will you apologise? I doubt it. Because, I guess, it was just about trying to score a point over me. You failed.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt...

9 minutes ago, andy72 said:

maybe the cpu/ board was upgraded and he never said  bit pompous there
plus maybe he is switching to a notebook for a reason doesnt w ant to be deskbound

its a desktop try to keep up 

If, as you so pompously assert, that "maybe the CPU/ board (sic) was upgraded" then my comments would still completely valid.

It would hardly be a twelve year plus PC any more now would it?

It would have had to have had the Motherboard, CPU and HDD replaced and that is just from the information given. 

Why do some people insist on making fools of themselves? Best to think before you click that Submit Reply button.

If it is just about trying to score a point, you will have to put your thinking cap on beforehand.

Archived