Don Muang Airport showing funds

Hi good morning,I'm on retirement extension with re entry permit.I will fly for few days to Australia.Do I have to show funds to immigration at Don Muang?IF yes,do I need cash or they let me go to ATM or how is that working.Do I have to show embassy letter with pension?Should I take marriage certificate(married to thai) or birth certificate(thai daughter) of daughter because immigration thinks I work here or whatever?I'm over 20 years in Thailand and never had to show anything but I read so many reports here of 'refused entry'.I start to feel scared to travel out of Thailand with all those negative post about immigration of Thailand

• Like 1

Better safe than sorry.

You probably won't need the cash or the papers you mention when you return, but - given that you live here & have family & possessions here (your life!) - it's not going to cost you anything to have the funds & papers at the ready in case you need them when you reenter Thailand.

1 hour ago, helloagain said:

If you have been here you should know what you need to show NOTHING APART FROM WHAT'S IN YOUR PASSPORT. Ive lived here 15 years and that is what i always show just that. 

In the past I agree,but now with all that changes nothing is sure anymore

• Like 2

The 20k requirement is only for tourists. If you have a valid non immigrant visa or retirement extension, you don't need to show funds (you have already done that in order to get the visa/extension). Likewise, you don't need to show proof of onward travel or a hotel booking, which again are only for tourists. The only thing you need to show is your passport with the appropriate visa/extension and reentry permit. That's it. 

I have lived in Thailand for 12 years and was actually in the process of renewing my visa [marriage extension and passport stamped 'under consideration' ] when I had to go to Australia.  Due to a family problem I have to stay here until mid November when both my visa and re entry have expired.  We are advised by Chiang Mai immigration that I should return on a tourist Visa  for 30 days, then go to Laos and get a type O visa , then return to Chiang Mai and re start the application for a Type O ext for marriage all over  again.  This will now expose me to all kinds of unknowns.  Insurance, proof of income.  What a pain.  No  credit for a long stay.  No flexibility.

Edited by peterpop

32 minutes ago, peterpop said:

We are advised by Chiang Mai immigration that I should return on a tourist Visa  for 30 days, then go to Laos and get a type O visa , then return to Chiang Mai and re start the application for a Type O ext for marriage all over  again. 

You can get a single entry non-o visa while in Australia. You can do it by mail to the embassy or the official consulate in Sydney or in person at one of the honorary consulates.

32 minutes ago, peterpop said:

This will now expose me to all kinds of unknowns.  Insurance, proof of income.

No insurance needed and no changes to the proof of income either.

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

Why are you guys spreading wrong information?

This document clearly says that people on a non-immigrant visa need to have 20k THB (or the equivalent in another exchangeable currency) in cash with them upon entering Thailand: http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2543/E/053/4.PDF

So if you want to be safe you carry 20k THB in cash with you (there are no ATMs before immigration), an IO can ask you for it (even though he will most likely not do this) and in case you don't have it he can deny you entry.

Have you ever heard about anyone on a retirement extension being asked to show funds at any airport? 

I don't think so. You seem a bit paranoid. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Have you ever heard about anyone on a retirement extension being asked to show funds at any airport? 

I don't think so. You seem a bit paranoid. 

Just because it's unlikely doesn't mean it's impossible.

So the people who say this is only required by tourists, either have a lack of knowledge (that's ok, nobody is expected to know everything),

or they know the official requirement, consider it to be unrelevant and thus give wrong information, which they should not do.

I think it's reasonable to give somebody who asks a specific question the full details, and not only some.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also have retirement ext + multi-reentry permit. Never been asked to show 20K at any time...but from now on I'm making sure that I do carry 20K thb any time entering the country. The way things are these days you never know when some IO tries to trip us up, so no big deal to have the cash on me.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

the op lives in Thailand, not visiting Thailand. He's here on an extension of stay, not on a visa. He's reentering Thailand, not entering Thailand. So no, there is no need to show funds, no need to show a return ticket, no need to show hotel booking or tell immigration what his plans for this visit, because it ain't no visit, it's a return home. 

That's the way I see it,too. The OP has already shown his funds when applying for the last extension. 

1 hour ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

But who doesn't carry a few hundred dollars,  pounds, or euro when travelling...for emergencies? Thats just common sense.

Why would you need to do that when you're on a retirement extension,and are on your way home? The OP is not a tourist, and he showed his funds when he applied for the last extension in Thailand. I used to withdraw some money from an ATM after immigration and customs. I sometimes didn't have more than 500 baht in my pocket,sometimes even less. 

3 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

the op lives in Thailand, not visiting Thailand. He's here on an extension of stay, not on a visa. He's reentering Thailand, not entering Thailand. So no, there is no need to show funds, no need to show a return ticket, no need to show hotel booking or tell immigration what his plans for this visit, because it ain't no visit, it's a return home. 

This might be your subjective feeling, but objectively (under Thai law) people on non-immigrant visas/extensions are considered to be "temporary visitors" (same as tourists), only people with permanent residency status are considered to be living in Thailand. The need to have 20k cash with you is an official requirement (usually not enforced, but it still exists), published in the document which i posted in my previous post.

This might be your subjective feeling, but objectively (under Thai law) people on non-immigrant visas/extensions are considered to be "temporary visitors" (same as tourists), only people with permanent residency status are considered to be living in Thailand. The need to have 20k cash with you is an official requirement (usually not enforced, but it still exists), published in the document which i posted in my previous post.

With the way you think, are you sure you are not in fact working for TI?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

31 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

With the way you think, are you sure you are not in fact working for TI?

I think you don't understand how TI works.

Other than me they don't refer to written rules, they just make up their own rules.

• Haha 1

On 10/12/2019 at 7:04 AM, sunnyboy2018 said:

But who doesn't carry a few hundred dollars,  pounds, or euro when travelling...for emergencies? Thats just common sense.

I used to years ago when the THB was more volatile and I preferred to use cash I bought here and knew exactly how much it cost me. Now I just travel with CC's and ATM.

On 10/12/2019 at 9:56 AM, jackdd said:

In the document you linked to it explicitly says VISA (transit / tourist / on arrival / non-imm). The OP is not entering on a VISA. He is RE-entering on an extension of stay, so the 20K does NOT apply to him, and unless he's on a wanted list for something, he won't be stopped / questioned by IO's. 

That said - if it makes you feel better / safer to travel with 20K cash when returning to Thailand - there is no law against it

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

In the document you linked to it explicitly says VISA (transit / tourist / on arrival / non-imm). The OP is not entering on a VISA. He is RE-entering on an extension of stay, so the 20K does NOT apply to him

You should read the whole document and not only the two english words.

In the parent section to the section containing the (non-immigrant visa) it says that these are the conditions for people entering the kingdom.

Then each of these sub sections names a reason, for example the reason "stay temporarily" (this is the translation of the official thai words อยู่ชั่วคราว which we commonly call non-o), and defines how much money is required. Even if somebody is "re-entering", he is still entering the Kingdom to stay temporarily, and this condition still applies. There is nothing which explicitly says that this only applies when entering the first time.

19 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You should read the whole document and not only the two english words.

In the parent section to the section containing the (non-immigrant visa) it says that these are the conditions for people entering the kingdom.

Then each of these sub sections names a reason, for example the reason "stay temporarily" (this is the translation of the official thai words อยู่ชั่วคราว which we commonly call non-o), and defines how much money is required. Even if somebody is "re-entering", he is still entering the Kingdom to stay temporarily, and this condition still applies. There is nothing which explicitly says that this only applies when entering the first time.

I read the whole document including the amounts required for each type of VISA upon ENTRY to Thailand (10K for transit single person or 20K for a family, 20K for tourist single or 40K for a family and so on). But AGAIN - the OP does not hold a VISA and does not ENTER Thailand. He LIVES in Thailand, went on a holiday out of Thailand and now he will RE-enter on an EXTENSION of STAY. NOT A VISA, NOT ENTERING. And as some other posters mentioned - there were NEVER any reports on cases of denied RE-ENTRY nor questioning of people with permit to stay.

3 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

But AGAIN - the OP does not hold a VISA and does not ENTER Thailand. He LIVES in Thailand, went on a holiday out of Thailand and now he will RE-enter on an EXTENSION of STAY. NOT A VISA, NOT ENTERING. And as some other posters mentioned - there were NEVER any reports on cases of denied RE-ENTRY nor questioning of people with permit to stay.

Why does someone get a new TM6 form when coming back to Thailand with a re-entry permit? You may recall that the TM6 form has an entry section and a departure section. If you never leave Thailand, why the need for departure and entry cards?

Historically, people coming to Thailand and given non immigrant permissions to stay (whether from visas or re-entry permits) have very rarely been asked to show money. That does not imply that it is not a documented requirement.

7 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

I read the whole document including the amounts required for each type of VISA upon ENTRY to Thailand (10K for transit single person or 20K for a family, 20K for tourist single or 40K for a family and so on). But AGAIN - the OP does not hold a VISA and does not ENTER Thailand. He LIVES in Thailand, went on a holiday out of Thailand and now he will RE-enter on an EXTENSION of STAY. NOT A VISA, NOT ENTERING. And as some other posters mentioned - there were NEVER any reports on cases of denied RE-ENTRY nor questioning of people with permit to stay.

As BritTim already mentioned, following your argumentation a new TM6 arrival card would not be required, so the next time you re-enter refuse to complete one and let us know if the IO just lets you in.

The law regarding TM30 or 90 day reporting also only talks about entering, so following your argumentation your landlord doesn't have to do a new TM30 when you re-enter, and it would also not reset your 90 day reporting timer.

As BritTim already mentioned, following your argumentation a new TM6 arrival card would not be required, so the next time you re-enter refuse to complete one and let us know if the IO just lets you in.
The law regarding TM30 or 90 day reporting also only talks about entering, so following your argumentation your landlord doesn't have to do a new TM30 when you re-enter, and it would also not reset your 90 day reporting timer.

Filling up a TM6 has nothing whatsoever to do with showing sufficient funds.
Someone that has an approved extension of stay has already proven that they have sufficient funds and also that they have/had the right visa to live in Thailand. For that reason, the IO will never bother to ask for proof of funds.
I used to travel in/out about 18 times a year for many years and was never once asked to show funds.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app