8 injured in pickup accident on HW 7

Rimmer

8 injured in pickup accident on HW 7

p1-N-Oct-06-03-8-injured-in-pickup.jpg

PATTAYA:--8 people were injured when a pickup loaded with construction workers overturned on Highway 7.

Driver Sombat Li, 54, told police that at 9 a.m. Oct. 6 on his way to delivering the workers to a construction site in Pattaya, a car cut him off. He swerved sharply to avoid contact and the pickup rolled.

The accident occurred at Part 5, Hwy. 7 KM 114 entering Pattaya City before the Pong sub-district tollgate.

Five woman and three men were injured in the crash and were taken to Banglamung Hospital.

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-10-11--

Zero sympathy for any of those injured who were squatting in the rear of the pick up, my 7yr old knows its a stupid & dangerous thing to do, but then i doubt if that registers with the victims. The one common denominator i have noticed with these incidents is that the drivers of the overloaded vehicles have to swerve to avoid another who allegedly has cut them up.

41 minutes ago, LoS itaint said:

Zero sympathy for any of those injured who were squatting in the rear of the pick up

Would you recommend the 3xx Baht/day workers to take a taxi?

Have you seen the big trucks in Pattaya carrying 30 or more slave laborers on the truck-bed from the construction sites to their shantys?

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Would you recommend the 3xx Baht/day workers to take a taxi?

Have you seen the big trucks in Pattaya carrying 30 or more slave laborers on the truck-bed from the construction sites to their shantys?

They couldn't afford a taxi!.....To my knowledge no more than 6 can ride on the back of a pick up, the indigenous natives of Thailand should know that, no seat belts no helmets its an accident waiting to happen & on this occasion its lucky there was not a fatality. Yes I have seen the big trucks in Pattaya carrying 30 or more slave labourers on the truck-bed from the construction sites to their shanty's but i have never seen the big trucks swerve sharply to avoid contact with another vehicle and then roll over have you?. There lies the difference & i rest my case

15 hours ago, LoS itaint said:

Zero sympathy for any of those injured who were squatting in the rear of the pick up, my 7yr old knows its a stupid & dangerous thing to do, but then i doubt if that registers with the victims. The one common denominator i have noticed with these incidents is that the drivers of the overloaded vehicles have to swerve to avoid another who allegedly has cut them up.

Both your comments seem naive.

I doubt these workers from Burma, Laos or Cambodia get much choice in the matter. And Thai drivers involved in accidents always have some excuse directed at others that I take with a pinch of salt. 

Yet another driver breaking the law carrying people in the rear of the pick up.

How many more deaths and injuries have to happen for this practice to cease

Poverty is a contributing factor in these accidents as well as appalling risk management, lack of police enforcement.

Police should have the power to stop them, suspend licence and confiscate the truck immediately.

11 hours ago, LoS itaint said:

To my knowledge no more than 6 can ride on the back of a pick up

Then sorry but your knowledge is wrong. The LAW says NO PEOPLE can ride in the bed of a pick-up.

The LAW also says motorcyclists must wear a helmet, drivers need a licence and insurance, and not drive p..sed up. !

12 hours ago, LoS itaint said:

They couldn't afford a taxi!.....To my knowledge no more than 6 can ride on the back of a pick up, the indigenous natives of Thailand should know that, no seat belts no helmets its an accident waiting to happen & on this occasion its lucky there was not a fatality. Yes I have seen the big trucks in Pattaya carrying 30 or more slave labourers on the truck-bed from the construction sites to their shanty's but i have never seen the big trucks swerve sharply to avoid contact with another vehicle and then roll over have you?. There lies the difference & i rest my case

Correct that the big trucks don't swerve. Usually the brakes fail first and they hit the vehicle/s in front of them.

18 hours ago, LoS itaint said:

it is becoming anothe favourite excuse "cutting me up"

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Then sorry but your knowledge is wrong. The LAW says NO PEOPLE can ride in the bed of a pick-up.

The LAW also says motorcyclists must wear a helmet, drivers need a licence and insurance, and not drive p..sed up. !

very true but where are we Mr. Danson??!!!

3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Yet another driver breaking the law carrying people in the rear of the pick up.

How many more deaths and injuries have to happen for this practice to cease

Poverty is a contributing factor in these accidents as well as appalling risk management, lack of police enforcement.

Police should have the power to stop them, suspend licence and confiscate the truck immediately.

AGREE but They Never do ANYTHING....i see these pickups leaving Jomtien beach late Sunday afternoons with people crammed in like sardines !!!

There is always police at the toll booths on Highway 7 , so obviously , once again somebody was doing something illegal , but the police choose to look the other way.

Now just imagine if it were Foreigners sat in the back.........Kerching $$$$$.

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

One of my  biggest gripes with Thailand................which rules MUST I  follow, it seems to be a pick and  choose culture.

40 minutes ago, NE1 said:

There is always police at the toll booths on Highway 7 , so obviously , once again somebody was doing something illegal , but the police choose to look the other way.

farangs have more sense NOT to be in the back of pickups 

19 hours ago, LoS itaint said:

So no sympathy for workers on a minimum wage, trying to scrape a living,  who have no option but to do what the boss says and ride in the back of the only truck taking them to the only work that they can get? Not a very understanding attitude. 

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Farangs have choices, these  low paid workers normally do not. 

Agreed, for 1 that will not get in the back of boss mans pick up 10000 will, to all of you injured when uninsured in the back of boss mans pick up, sue the <deleted> if him.

When many boss man have to pay out  for injured workers then they will make other arrangements to ferry workers about, 

1 hour ago, essox essox said:
2 hours ago, NE1 said:

farangs have more sense NOT to be in the back of pickups

I have picked up back packers thumbing it out in the sticks , and they were very happy to climb in the back of my pick up , it gets them to their destination free of charge.

12 hours ago, wgdanson said:

CHECK IT OUT

9 hours ago, Pilotman said:

So no sympathy for workers on a minimum wage, trying to scrape a living,  who have no option but to do what the boss says and ride in the back of the only truck taking them to the only work that they can get? Not a very understanding attitude. 

Its not always foreigners with no work permits on a minimum wage that get onto the back of a pick up, i see many families doing it & generally its the youngsters on the back. Everyone in life has options & for whatever reason a person would get onto the back of a truck they chose that option. 

Archived