Street food comeback?: Military government too interested in tourism - not the welfare of the people

webfact

Street food comeback?: Military government too interested in tourism - not the welfare of the people

4pm.jpg

Thai caption:  Places for food....City folk

A keynote speaker has criticized the previous military government for paying too much attention to tourism and not enough to the welfare of the Thai people. 

Professor  Parisa Musikakhama of the Faculty of Architecture at Rangsit University was speaking at a seminar at Chulalongkorn University discussing street stalls and city development. 

She questioned the National Council for Peace and Order's policy to clear vendors off the streets in all but a few areas such as Yaowarat and Khao San road that cater mainly to tourists. 

She said that the NCPO - in power since the coup of 2014 until the election of this year - was more interested in economic development through tourism than in the welfare of the people. 

Having cheap street food options was not just about tourism, she said, it was important for poor workers who came to live and work in the city from the countryside. 

It was part of an informal rather than formal economy, she said. For years people had earned their living from selling goods, services and food on the streets.

This in turn provided a cheap place to eat for workers on large investment projects who came to Bangkok.

The issue was not just about tourism but the wider economy that might benefit. 

Thaivisa notes that banning vendors from city sidewalks has divided the capital. Some are happy that the sidewalks are easier to walk down but others - including tourists - have said that the lifeblood and character of the city has suffered. 

Panisa spoke of how CNN called Bangkok the best place in the world for street food but this compared sharply with the sanitized food trucks that have popped up in the city since the stalls and vendors were banned from many areas. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-11

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Professor Parisa has things back to front - the tourists want street food so if the government was prioritising tourism, it would have allowed vendors to stay. 

The 'previous' military government was simply enforcing existing laws to bring some much-needed law, order and discipline to the country.  

57 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

More interested in tourisme ? Well they have killed the golden goose already with all the immigration and bureaucratic hassles....one dare not immagine what would have happened if they were "less" interested in toursm !!

What have they done to damage tourism on this front? Other than showing funds, which from reports is seldom checked, the TM30 changes should have little to no impact?

"lifeblood and character of the city has suffered"

I believe this hits the spot ! Many tourists come for this aspect, for this unique atmosphere and experience, if it becomes cleared and clinical like so many other major cities, where is the charm and the attraction it had ? it becomes very vanilla and no different so why bother, then everyone loses ! 

There has to be some balance stuck. The street food provides jobs and income for those who sell and affordable options for diners, but the vendors have aggressively usurped the public right of way to the point where pedestrians and disabled are forced into the street. Disregard for public safety and property has led to draconian measures

Street food is central to Thai culture and the everyday lives of folk, tourist or not.

I trust there is a complete unit in the Architecture course encouraging students how to take account of this requirement in their studies.

The villain is not the leadership or rhe police, it is the un-uccommodating urban environment, the existing street furniture piled on and poor state of sidewalks.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

A keynote speaker has criticized the previous military government for paying too much attention to tourism and not enough to the welfare of the Thai people. 

It's what I've been saying for years now, the problem is, that nothing does it right!
Tourists disappear and the people have less and less money available!
Corruption has reached its peak with the help of the last two military governments!

3 hours ago, Peter Aherne said:

What have they done to damage tourism on this front? Other than showing funds, which from reports is seldom checked, the TM30 changes should have little to no impact?

How about u name us all the things they did to boost foreigners to visit?

This government doesn't give two hoots about the people especially the poor people. It views the people as a threat. A source of unruliness. In the military mind, the people are something to be controlled, not something to be supported and helped.

For 70 years, China has had authoritarian governments that has squeezed Chineseness and community out of their country and their people. If you want to see Chinese culture you will find more on the back streets of Hong Kong than in most Chinese cities that have been subject to slash and burn top-down central planning. 

Prayut is doing the same with Thainess in an effort to control the people. 

Prayut should remember that now he has been elected by the people, as an all democratic countries, he is not the boss of the people. He is a representative of the people.  The people are the boss of him.

I like so very much that Professor  Parisa Musikakhama has named this so called government a military government and that's exactly what it is! A foulish elected government just based on military and police law enforcments, for from anything that a democracy has in their constitution. The so called constituiton is just made for mistreating their people living in thailand, fill up the pockets of the rich families and clans and sure their own pockets as well!

Control freaks as they are soooo very scared to loose their powder. Intelectual and open minded peopel are dangerous for them so better make them mouth dead of kill them if necessary. Poor so called smiling Thaland!

There used to be "street bars" on Sukhumvit Bangkok sidewalks, and I saw the sun come up more than once at those places. ABSOLUTE blast, felt quite safe, able to stagger home to my room. I heard they cleaned those up. True?

2 hours ago, legend49 said:

The 'previous' military government was simply enforcing existing laws to bring some much-needed law, order and discipline to the country.

Which previous military govt? I havent noticed any change since the election.

The article refers to the current government being a civilian one and the previous being military, hence why I put 'previous' in quotes.

5 hours ago, Peter Aherne said:

I will give you a small example ;

My friend and myself like to visit for 2 months, often hire a car and tour ' secondary ' locations , just what TAT desires.

Previously picked up a 60 day visa from London , good service , no hassle.

This time round we are expected to apply for an evisa , all sorts of personal information required , as self employed guys lots of hoops to jump through.

The upshot will now be just 30 days in Thailand , 30 days in Laos , stamp and visa on arrival , simple.

Net loss to local Thai hotels , restaurants , bars etc , about 230,000 baht.

Just one example , im sure there are many , many , more.

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Professor Parisa has hit the nail on the head.... Prayuts mob dont give a rats backside about the Thai people.

Their only concern is themselves, and how much money they can scam.

Col the snouts are in the trough  Stuff the people Lets buy some more guns and build 112 million dollar mansions for the Navy guy Thais are the most loving accepting people i have ever seen In any other country this garbage would of being thrown out ages ago

3 hours ago, legend49 said:

Which previous military govt? I havent noticed any change since the election.

Please explain! What are the "much-needed law, order and discipline" they enforced ?
Did I miss something ?

7 hours ago, observer90210 said:

More interested in tourisme ? Well they have killed the golden goose already with all the immigration and bureaucratic hassles....one dare not immagine what would have happened if they were "less" interested in toursm !!

Tourists don't have any extra hassles regarding immigration or bureaucracy. 

The strong baht against many foreign currencies may be a factor, but your 

2 week holiday maker would probably have no idea what a TM30 is, if that

is what you mean by hassles.

3 hours ago, Ketyo said:

This government doesn't give two hoots about the people especially the poor people. It views the people as a threat. A source of unruliness. In the military mind, the people are something to be controlled, not something to be supported and helped.

For 70 years, China has had authoritarian governments that has squeezed Chineseness and community out of their country and their people. If you want to see Chinese culture you will find more on the back streets of Hong Kong than in most Chinese cities that have been subject to slash and burn top-down central planning. 

Prayut is doing the same with Thainess in an effort to control the people. 

Prayut should remember that now he has been elected by the people, as an all democratic countries, he is not the boss of the people. He is a representative of the people.  The people are the boss of him.

Actually Prayuth was NOT elected by the people during the election at all.

He was "invited" to become after the fiasco that masqueraded as an election.

If you think that he is (In your words) a representative of the people you are sadly mistaken. The people are the boss of him. If you think that is true, once again you are sadly mistaken.

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Actually Prayuth was NOT elected by the people during the election at all.

He was "invited" to become after the fiasco that masqueraded as an election.

If you think that he is (In your words) a representative of the people you are sadly mistaken. The people are the boss of him. If you think that is true, once again you are sadly mistaken.

So they rigged 50 million votes..impossible

Archived