BANGKOK
hereforgood

Jomtien says extensions need to show Insurance

Use an O-A visa the right way and you don't need to go near an Imm' office for two years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Use an O-A visa the right way and you don't need to go near an Imm' office for two years.

Thats right but it is unclear how the insurance will work for the 2nd year stay after the visa has expired.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Thats right but it is unclear how the insurance will work for the 2nd year stay after the visa has expired.

Get your second year entry two days before the visa use by date then fly out/in (90 days) for the second year with a re-entry multi from the airport.

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Get your second year entry two days before the visa use by date then fly out/in (90 days) for the second year with a re-entry multi from the airport.

When you fly in 2 days before Visa expiry you will be required to show insurance  for one year to qualify for  1 year permission of stay. If insurance is less, permit will be less accordingly. 

• Like 1

The OA visa is a multiple entry visa that allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue and it can only be issued in your home country or country of legal residence. 

A Non-o visa only allows a 90 day entry.

I think they think that people with OA visas may not have the intention of staying her nearly full time. Plus no funds are needed in a Thai bank or proof of income coming into the country.

People staying here on extensions of stay tend to settle in to the country and do have to show financial proof here. And would not be likely to just bail of the country to avoid paying a medical bill.

@Ubonjoe , isn't it also the case that O is no longer offered by Emassies/consulates for retirement and as beenreplaced by the O-A and O-X? In which case part of the thinking may be to focus on newly arriving retirees since over time the older arrivees will die offanyhow?

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

56 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Speculation is just that, speculation, but one thing is fairly clear, if it doesn't come this year, it will come at some point in the not too distant future. When it does come, I am hoping for a 'self insuring provision', whereby, for example, the presently required 800K bank 'bond'  can be increased (1.5 million?) to cater for unexpected medical costs, if expats applying for an extension of stay wish to self insure. 

The thai bank system can already ''play'' with 400 000 all year long and 800 000 during 5 months

with my money, why on earth do you want now allowed them to ''play'' with 1 500 000??

Do you never have enough of the scams? Or have you illimited funds?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

@Ubonjoe , isn't it also the case that O is no longer offered by Emassies/consulates for retirement and as beenreplaced by the O-A and O-X? In which case part of the thinking may be to focus on newly arriving retirees since over time the older arrivees will die offanyhow?

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sheryl, that sounds so morbid.

Meant in a nice way, but you could be right.

• Like 2

I did my retirement extension last month and their was no mention of insurance. I was given a document to read of requirements for next time I renew and no mention of any insurance requirements 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, barryofthailand said:

I did my retirement extension last month and their was no mention of insurance. I was given a document to read of requirements for next time I renew and no mention of any insurance requirements 

Likely not, all quite new. My neighbour did his Wednesday and also no mention.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I don't want it, I just prefer that to paying some rip off premium to an insurance company, for next to no return that I can use at my age.  I dont accept your premise that the 800K is a scam. Its my money, sitting in a Thai bank and getting interest.  Its not disappearing into a black hole as a premium would.  No I don't have unlimited finds, but I do have enough to self insure.  if I didn't have that, I would still be in the UK, sponging off a free NHS. Any expat who is here who doesn't have either medical insurance, or sufficient funds to self insure is heading for trouble. Some are going to have to face that reality sometime soon, so best recognise that and plan for it now.  

you are right

the word ''scam'' it's not accurate for the 800 000 because yes the money don't disappear 

and some interests are paid BUT you can not dispose of it anyway you want or you could 

not hit the financial requirments.

And yes of course i agree with you about to have enough funds to auto insure

and it's better than paid a huge anual fee for an insurance which cover you for with a ridiculous amount

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Only at some embassies and official consulates in some of the home country of the person applying.

The embassy and honorary consulates in the UK will issue a single entry non-o for retirement with financial proof.  One cannot be applied for anywhere in the USA or Australia.

There are also a few honorary consulates that can still issue them.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

I was coming in Thailand from europe with an OA visa 5 years ago

it was my only one visa i have ever had to come here

and i am staying here since 5 years with each year a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement.

Anyway I have to renew my 1 year extension of stay based on retirment at Jomtiem immigration office next  tuesday, so i can ask the question for 2020 when i have to renew again,if i have to show an insurance proof and i'll let you know here the IO answer given to me.

Yes, do this, would be good info to know.

You know this all sounds to me like that:

It's like buying a car and you have to have car insurance for the first year (O-A) ... for the second year, if extended into retirement, you don't need to have car insurance anymore, it's enough you have a deposit in the bank (400k/800k) 

I would put a bet in that this will get further lined up in future

Edited by RedPill
  • Like 2

Soon possibly you will need to show this proof of health insurance when you fo your 90 day check in ( just watch [emoji102]

• Like 1