Jump to content
BANGKOK
hereforgood

Jomtien says extensions need to show Insurance

Recommended Posts

Good God this is insane, why are people asking Immigration? 
OK here is something worth asking immigration:  if we pay for medical insurance coverage will we no longer be required to keep Bt 400.000 or need Bt 800.000 for subsequent extensions?
  
Because they have the power to grant or deny extensions.

Too obvious?

Of course this has nothing to do with the financial requirements.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, moogradod said:

I am talking about the grandmother that came with the family to Thailand to lead a happy life together and now cannot get insurance and the government offers no solution. I am talking about the wealthy man that supports his Thai family and children with compassion but who has unforturtunately hypertension. I am talking as well about everybody that would be struck by these laws in the future - becoming old and sick which is everybodys fate. And the healthy one who has calculated his monthly allowances just to be good enough to live his dream in Thailand, came here 20 years ago but is now 75 years old.

 

Only "14%" you say ? I say not even ONE single family to be torn apart is worth it. Not even one death because of that is worth it.

That's always been the case  . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Have you ever called a Thai bureaucratic office's "helpline"?  I have, and it is one of the most frustrating experiences you can have LOL!  I won't say more; just try it and you'll find out what I mean, but have a bottle of Tylenol handy before you do, be prepared to be on the phone for at least one hour just to get through to the right person (or any human being at all), and then have a nice stiff drink ready for when you finally give up in disgust LOL!

Yeas I have, but I also know that there were going to be at least one of all the posters that came up for an excuse to do something again. Better to complain on a forum, where you can be sure nobody is qualified to change anything.

Now, I am going to take a couple of beers. That is not out of the reason regarding any hotline. It´s pure the the everyday need after reading all the complaints, misery and excuses the expat community in Thailand have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, as usual nobody knows what's going on including those charged with implementing the "law". And as usual half a dozen pages of "experiences" clears up nothing. And let's not forget those who stoke nothing but FUD (and you know who you are). So, basically I'm sick of it. What I want to know -- and I assume somebody has a genuine, factual answer -- is if I go for my extension and don't like what I hear or what they want, how long will I get before I have to leave the country? That is, how much time will they give me to clear my affairs? Accurate answers appreciated, thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, tgeezer said:

 if we pay for medical insurance coverage will we no longer be required to keep Bt 400.000 or need Bt 800.000 for subsequent extensions?

  

That money was never previously associated with paying for medical services, simply as living expenses. So I have a feeling no, it will still be required!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 400,000/800,000 baht should be your gaurantee for medical expenses. 

It is up to you what you do with your money .

If you fail to meet the following years financial requirements so be it.

But the money you have to set aside initially should be able to be used for what you want.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NE1 said:

The 400,000/800,000 baht should be your gaurantee for medical expenses. 

It is up to you what you do with your money .

If you fail to meet the following years financial requirements so be it.

But the money you have to set aside initially should be able to be used for what you want.

Well of course you can if you choose to... although you could be risking your next extension.  (And even put yourself at risk for breaking the terms of the current retirement extension). We still have to reach that milestone which will be in Feb/March 2020, to see if we will be required to prove we kept the 800/400k untouched in the bank. In reality it isn't up to us what we do with our own money!

 

I am not yet convinced medical insurance will be obligatory for extensions.... it really would be fraught with complexities. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cannot a retiree just switch from a Non-Imm 0-A , to Non-Imm O? 

That would do away with the insurance requirement, for those who want to self-insure

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, sturdyd said:

So, as usual nobody knows what's going on including those charged with implementing the "law". And as usual half a dozen pages of "experiences" clears up nothing. And let's not forget those who stoke nothing but FUD (and you know who you are). So, basically I'm sick of it. What I want to know -- and I assume somebody has a genuine, factual answer -- is if I go for my extension and don't like what I hear or what they want, how long will I get before I have to leave the country? That is, how much time will they give me to clear my affairs? Accurate answers appreciated, thank you.

I've been told by more than one reliable source that in a worst case scenario situation, Imm will give you 5 or 7 days to clear up affairs.  Of course, there are a lot of other options such as leaving the country and then coming back in (by air) on a visa-exempt status for 30 days, or travelling out of the Kingdom and applying for a SETV which can allow you to extend your time here even more significantly.  Nothing is guaranteed though; it's a roll of the dice.

 

@ubonjoe has discussed such options in depth in various threads and he is acknowledged as a very factual source here on ThaiVisa.  If you really want the best information available on this, do a google search of this forum for his posts on this subject (The ThaiVisa search engine is horrible; Google will give you much better results.).  In Google search, do your search like this, "thaivisa" "ubonjoe" "visa exempt", for instance. [ click on link to see sample search ]

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is so frustrating, we are talking to minions, they don’t have any answers the people at the top know exactly what they are doing but are not telling us. 

We have to guess and I am guessing that hospitals or insurance companies have complained to the minister. The decision has been made that if the hospitals are unable to ‘squeeze blood out of a stone’ because the ‘stones’ are on A-O visas and don’t have to keep money in the bank. It is reasonable to make the ‘stones’ have insurance.  At the rumour level the indemnity sum was Bt 400,000, what a coincidence, that is the very sum that the new rules say every retiree is required to leave untouched in the bank! 

Once a retiree has extended he has money in the bank or income against which he can borrow money in order to pay hospitals bills so the fact of entering on an A-O visa is irrelevant. You can not expect a lady who is intimidated by her superiors and scared of making a mistake to work that out and even if she did she risks being contradicted by a Captain who can’t work it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The people at the top know what they intended. I would not assume that they know what the lower-down people are doing.

 

An added wrinkle is that the top dogs involved spanned more than one Ministry. The police order issued by RTP Imm differs in several significant respects from public statements by MoPH on how this would work. Can't assume MoPH has reviewed the order or knows this.

 

I would encourage anyone with contacts high up in either MoPH or RTP to discuss with them.

 

 

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tgeezer said:

the people at the top know exactly what they are doing

don't overestimate them

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

I've been told by more than one reliable source that in a worst case scenario situation, Imm will give you 5 or 7 days to clear up affairs.  Of course, there are a lot of other options such as leaving the country and then coming back in (by air) on a visa-exempt status for 30 days, or travelling out of the Kingdom and applying for a SETV which can allow you to extend your time here even more significantly.  Nothing is guaranteed though; it's a roll of the dice.

 

@ubonjoe has discussed such options in depth in various threads and he is acknowledged as a very factual source here on ThaiVisa.  If you really want the best information available on this, do a google search of this forum for his posts on this subject (The ThaiVisa search engine is horrible; Google will give you much better results.).  In Google search, do your search like this, "thaivisa" "ubonjoe" "visa exempt", for instance. [ click on link to see sample search ]

Thank you for your cogent answer. You're one in a mil...  well, several dozen. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...