Renewing 5 year driving license

TKDfella

Yesterday while in Nongbualamphu my Thai friend and I went to the traffic office to enquire about requirements renewing my 5 year driving license. Although some years ago I was living in Udornthani I was able able to renew at the Nongbualamphu office so yesterday I thought that if there was nothing new I could complete the application there and then. The reason being that there wasn't a separate window manned for information only so I stood in line.

We were told that the law had changed;

1. A foreigner must apply for the renewal in the province of residence and the national data base renewal is no longer available.

2. A document from the foreigner's local immigration office must also be completed and supplied with the usual copies of passport etc.

At that point I had no idea what this document was so we went to recently opened IO in Nongbualamphu. They confirmed what the traffic office had said.

This morning I went to Udorn IO and they also confirmed the new rule. It is a document of confirmation, nationality, passport number and details in the pages. Requirements for this are the usual two photos and residence info (yellow book or other) and when received the document is valid for 30 days.

In actual fact this confirmation/permission document is not a lot different from my original permission given to apply for a Thai driving license and makes me wonder if this another of those rules that was in place already but generally ignored. However, unlike the original there is charge for this 'new' one. Below is photo of the document (with my personal details blacked out);

fortv.png

12 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

A document from the foreigner's local immigration office

Also known as  "A certificate of residence"

I notice at the bottom they have stated a 30 day  validity and also a  "purpose" of the certificate which are new

( to me anyway )

1 hour ago, johng said:

I notice at the bottom they have stated a 30 day  validity and also a  "purpose" of the certificate which are new

( to me anyway )

Always had that for as long as I'v been here (20 yrs.)...whether it was required for buying a car... or for selling a car. For a car driving licence or a motorbike licence...and other things too that are not on the tip of my tongue just now.

2 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

Just buy an international license online for $65. Good for 10 years. They will translate your current Thai license. 

Whilst it may possibly get you past a police checkpoint the fact is that they are not legal documents or issued by a lawful authority. Under International Treaty the IDP can only be valid for 1 year from issue and has to be in a certain format (which the photo ID IDPs are not). Whether it would invalidate your insurance is another matter

3 hours ago, VYCM said:

international license is only valid for 12 months.

and you are required by law to have a Thai driving license after 3 months, also check your insurance papers same stipulation, after three months you have no valid license and are therefore uninsured.

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

As of 2 days ago, for a Thai DL renewal, the main Udon Thani drivers license office on the Kohn Kaen road accepted a yellow book (Thor Ror Sip Saam) as proof of alien's residence in lieu of the certificate of residence from Immigration.

This is what I thought but both Nongbualamphu DL center and IO said the yellow book (which I have) was not sufficient and that's what Udorn IO also told me this morning. I am not disagreeing with you as we all know things seem to differ from office to office even person to person sometimes. There was something else that we were told at Nongbualamphu, that there were also changes in the DL rules for Thai people also but exactly what they are I don't know and didn't ask. Whether the main event was changes for Thai drivers and foreigners just got caught up in it is a possibility I suppose.????

Hi all, I would greatly appreciate and thank any sound advice or answer.

Had my 1st 1 year DL and subsequently renewed to 5 years DL (at local district LTO without having to obtain any certificate of residence from immigration before) which going to expire soon.

Lately dropped in at LTO to enquire any/what docs required to renew another 5 year DL. Was told photocopies of my passport, long-term visa, existing DL and a certificate of residence from immigration needed. 

Is this certificate of residence request FOC or chargeable with/without a "official receipt issued"?

6 hours ago, soalbundy said:

and you are required by law to have a Thai driving license after 3 months, also check your insurance papers same stipulation, after three months you have no valid license and are therefore uninsured.

Absolutely correct.  I am not sure why informed people like your good self bother to try to help muppets like the OP.  Good on you, but I've given up.

18 hours ago, NanLaew said:

As of 2 days ago, for a Thai DL renewal, the main Udon Thani drivers license office on the Kohn Kaen road accepted a yellow book (Thor Ror Sip Saam) as proof of alien's residence in lieu of the certificate of residence from Immigration.

Did it 4 days ago same place same result.

11 hours ago, RangerF said:

Had my 1st 1 year DL and subsequently renewed to 5 years DL (at local district LTO without having to obtain any certificate of residence from immigration before) which going to expire soon.

Lately dropped in at LTO to enquire any/what docs required to renew another 5 year DL. Was told photocopies of my passport, long-term visa, existing DL and a certificate of residence from immigration needed. 

Is this certificate of residence request FOC or chargeable with/without a "official receipt issued"?

I was given the certificate then told the charge was 500 Baht, which I paid but I did not get a receipt. I usually don't agree to this but for another 5 years I thought that as the banks charge for their statement every year, I wouldn't concern myself. Not everyone will agree, I know.

18 hours ago, TKDfella said:
22 hours ago, NanLaew said:

This is what I thought but both Nongbualamphu DL center and IO said the yellow book (which I have) was not sufficient and that's what Udorn IO also told me this morning. ...

It wasn't too long ago that the previous Nonbualamphu Amphur refused to issue yellow books and swore blind that they were either non-existent or illegal.

The NBL IO's and DLT office are probably quoting a long-standing legal requirement but it looks like they are only now getting round to enforcing it. There's probably a nominal fee being charged by immigration to issue the certificate which should be free.

But based on very recent, actual face to face experience, the DLT office I mentioned is STILL accepting the yellow book for renewals.

Since the original issue (I think) is getting your 5 year DL that was originally issued by Udon DLT renewed and the NBL DLT office says you can't renew it there, if you are still resident at the Udon address shown on your Udon amphur-issued yellow book, I fail to see where either NBL's  DLT or either IO's have a dog in this fight? Just go down to km whatever it is and take a ticket number. Best time to attend is still reported to be Friday afternoon as they want to go home early.

15 hours ago, RangerF said:

It's supposed to be free but depending on what IO you are dealing with, there's a non-receipt charge.

Chiang Mai used to refuse to issue them but unless things have changed, they have now resorted to an appointment system to get one. Nominal fee applies as well as waiting for their benevolent munificence.

13 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

In the past (5 years ago) I used my work permit for the proof of address (blue book).  Is this still accepted?

You need to state where you are applying since just like Thai immigration offices, Thai DLT offices don't all follow the same play book.

You need to state where you are applying since just like Thai immigration offices, Thai DLT offices don't all follow the same play book.

And the new style WP’s don’t have an address on them (so I’m told).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/11/2019 at 2:08 PM, NanLaew said:

As does AEK in Udon and the supposed requirement to renew in your home province is a made up rule. 

18 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Bang Chak.  My old-style work permit has been accepted in the past, just wondering if the policy has changed since it's been nearly 6 years since I last renewed.

On 10/11/2019 at 2:08 PM, NanLaew said:

As they should,sadly some LTO don't aka TRAT. one of the most annoying facts in Thailand govt officers don't  know the law for foreigners and so just make it up as they seem fit, is it just to be awkward and pee us off or do they still have a book of rules that is 20 yrs out of date ? the one i saw in Trat looked tattered and old,a bit like me :cheesy:

On 10/12/2019 at 1:48 PM, DILLIGAD said:

On 10/12/2019 at 1:33 PM, NanLaew said:

They do like to play games though.

On 10/12/2019 at 1:48 PM, DILLIGAD said:

And the new style WP’s don’t have an address on them (so I’m told).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine doesn't.

Annoying that I have to take time off work to get a resi cert.

Archived