Work permit vs married visa

I’m in Thailand on a company sponsored 5 year visa and married to a Thai. In the event that I decide to leave this employer is there an advantage or even a possibility to obtain a married visa while on the current visa? Will the married visa allow me to stay and look for another job or even during transition to new employer as the current visa through this employer will be canceled on my last day of employment. I’m trying to avoid leaving the country and even make it easier for the new employer by not needing a work visa at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

What type of visa do you have that allows you to stay for 5 years? Is it a smart visa?

I suspect you would have to leave the country to get a non-o visa and then you could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai. You can get a work permit and work with a non-o visa or the extension of stay.

16 minutes ago, sir charles IV said:

In the event that I decide to leave this employer is there an advantage or even a possibility to obtain a married visa while on the current visa?

Ideally your permission to stay (visa) now should be as the spouse of a Thai rather than based on your work.

16 minutes ago, sir charles IV said:

Will the married visa allow me to stay and look for another job or even during transition to new employer as the current visa through this employer will be canceled on my last day of employment. I’m trying to avoid leaving the country and even make it easier for the new employer by not needing a work visa at all

As the spouse of a Thai you can work (with a work permit/permission) with a spouse based permit to stay and don’t need a “work visa”.

It might be possible to change to a spouse based “visa” during the sponsored 5 years next time your permission to stay (visa) needs renewing - as long as your employer doesn’t object.

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

What type of visa do you have that allows you to stay for 5 years? Is it a smart visa?

I suspect you would have to leave the country to get a non-o visa and then you could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai. You can get a work permit and work with a non-o visa or the extension of stay.

BOI longest I've seen was 2 years but that was a while ago.

Friend had a long term F but not sure how long it was valid for.

15 minutes ago, sir charles IV said:

Thanks. It’s actually for four years and not 5.

That is the re-entry permit for what is called the smart visa. 

15 minutes ago, sir charles IV said:

It therefore makes sense to go ahead with a married visa. Right?

If lose you job or leave it your smart visa would end on that day.

Not sure you would be able to change to an extension based upon marriage without leaving the country for a single entry non-o visa.

If possible it would mean having the smart visa canceled at the one stop center and then going to Chaeng Wattana immigration to apply for a extension based upon marriage.

12 minutes ago, sir charles IV said:

Is it right that marriage visa is for one year? So if I’m granted the visa say July 1 and I quit my job say august 1 that I can stay until the following July 1? In the meantime I could look for work.

A non-o visa issued by a embassy or consulate would only a 90 day entry. A multiple entry non-o visa allows unlimited 90 entries for a year from the date of issue.

A extension of stay (it is not a visa) issued by immigration allow you to stay for one year with leaving the country unless you want to.

You would not be able to apply for the extension of stay based upon marriage until your current "smart visa" is canceled when you stop working. I you did it on August 1st that would be when your the one year extension would start.

You could look for work, apply for a work permit and work with either the non-o visa or the extension of stay.

10 hours ago, elviajero said:

Ideally your permission to stay (visa) now should be as the spouse of a Thai rather than based on your work.

As the spouse of a Thai you can work (with a work permit/permission) with a spouse based permit to stay and don’t need a “work visa”.

It might be possible to change to a spouse based “visa” during the sponsored 5 years next time your permission to stay (visa) needs renewing - as long as your employer doesn’t object.

Hi ,

is that really true, that I can work with a spouse based permit to stay? 

Can I work as freelance engineer or do I have to open a company? If with the own company, I can do even without marriage.

As employee of another company, that company also will look for my Visa and work permit, but also here independent of marriage or not so far as I know

So what is the special work permit with a marriage visa?

Thank You and Best Regards

Michael

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is the re-entry permit for what is called the smart visa. 

If lose you job or leave it your smart visa would end on that day.

Not sure you would be able to change to an extension based upon marriage without leaving the country for a single entry non-o visa.

If possible it would mean having the smart visa canceled at the one stop center and then going to Chaeng Wattana immigration to apply for a extension based upon marriage.

Maybe a bit off topic but if one were to cancel a work permit while a non immigrant o multi visa were still valid would the non immigrant o visa also end on the day the work permit was cancelled....even if the non o visa still had 9 months validity?

9 hours ago, johnny1966 said:

Maybe a bit off topic but if one were to cancel a work permit while a non immigrant o multi visa were still valid would the non immigrant o visa also end on the day the work permit was cancelled....even if the non o visa still had 9 months validity?

Your non-o visa would still be valid since it is not based upon you working.

Only extensions of stay based upon working end when the job ends. Any visa or the entry from one issued  by a embassy or consulate would remain valid.

• Thanks 1

Well the immigration said that in order to obtain a marriage visa I must cancel my current visa obtained via employer. Considering it has another two years on it I’ll wait a while. They also said you have up to 15 days after cancellation of this visa to convert to married visa.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect