Skype to UK

Speedo1968

Can I use my laptop to Skype to a Smart phone in the UK ?    I don't own a Smart phone.

I tried in the past and my daughter got a very high phone charge.    She was using a SKY package.

I have been told that I need to make the initial call but, even when I did that my daughters phone bill was high or there was no connection.

WhatsAp needs an additional program Bluestacks when using a laptop and I couldn't get it to work.

Another daughter tried LINE but said it was too big a program for her phone.

8 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

Can I use my laptop to Skype to a Smart phone in the UK ? 

Yes you can...but if you want to do it for free  then the smart phone should be connected to  a ( home) WiFi signal instead of  the mobile phone cell network or  you (the caller not the receiver) can also pay a small amount to skype and then directly call landline and mobile phones.

You don't say how you contacted your daughter. Firstly, your daughter should have Skype installed on her phone. It doesn't matter who initiates the call. Costs to each are the same.

The actual Skype to Skype call is free from Skype but the cost of the internet to make the connection depends on the internet package being used.

So, secondly your daughter should be connected to the internet via a low cost connection, eg: WIFI or a mobile connection that provides an adequate data allowance. If she doesn't have a data allowance and just connects using a basic phone package she will pay a premium price for connecting to the internet to use Skype (or any data connection for that matter) which is expensive.

I'd just buy a cheap smartphone personally. Bought a decent Xiaomi phone for around 5000 THB. I listen to music with it, watch downloaded movies if traveling around on buses, short air hops, taxis, take photos with its decent camera, news sites for a read, tv apps, messaging the list is endless. I even make the odd phone call!

5 hours ago, johng said:

Yes you can...but if you want to do it for free  then the smart phone should be connected to  a ( home) WiFi signal instead of  the mobile phone cell network or  you (the caller not the receiver) can also pay a small amount to skype and then directly call landline and mobile phones.

Many thanks for your reply.   Will pass on to my daughters.

My internet is free this end.

Will try to find out what Skype charges.

I have used LINE to UK, no charge this end and the receiver said there was no or very little charge their end as they didn't notice it on any billing.

5 hours ago, john terry1001 said:

You don't say how you contacted your daughter. Firstly, your daughter should have Skype installed on her phone. It doesn't matter who initiates the call. Costs to each are the same.

The actual Skype to Skype call is free from Skype but the cost of the internet to make the connection depends on the internet package being used.

So, secondly your daughter should be connected to the internet via a low cost connection, eg: WIFI or a mobile connection that provides an adequate data allowance. If she doesn't have a data allowance and just connects using a basic phone package she will pay a premium price for connecting to the internet to use Skype (or any data connection for that matter) which is expensive.

Many thanks for the info.

My internet is free this end.

I understand that SKY charges in UK are very expensive for phone use.

Will pass on your info to my daughter so that she can check rates.

4 hours ago, sungod said:

I'd just buy a cheap smartphone personally. Bought a decent Xiaomi phone for around 5000 THB. I listen to music with it, watch downloaded movies if traveling around on buses, short air hops, taxis, take photos with its decent camera, news sites for a read, tv apps, messaging the list is endless. I even make the odd phone call!

I have worked freelance since the 1980's.

I used to travel monthly to ASPAC, Australia and China when I was based for a few years in the UK in the 1990's.   No Smart phones available then so any reports were sent via a simple wiring in to a hotels phone line and zoom of the info went before the line realised what was happening.   Can't remember what the system was called.

Later I moved to Thailand as it allowed easier travel within the area before finally retiring.

I am in my 70's now and I have no need as such for a Smart phone and calling my daughters would not be a regular thing.    News, music, video, LINE etc. I use my laptop.

4 minutes ago, Samuel Smith said:

I use skype to call my Mother's land line in UK.  Very cheap.  You need to add credit to your account.  Calls cost a few pence at most.

And you can subscribe for about £3 a month for 100 minutes to any UK phone, mobile or land line.

15 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

I use skype to call my Mother's land line in UK.  Very cheap.  You need to add credit to your account.  Calls cost a few pence at most.

Is this phone to phone ?

I don't have a Smart phone.

I understand it is expensive if it is laptop ( what I have ) and phone which my daughter has.

11 hours ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

If you call often get a Skype world wide subscription. 

I pay 2200bht per year.

I  use 20hrs per week for business to Australia and wife would use 16 hours a week in Thailand. Can use on more than 1 device same time. 

Call landlines and mobiles, other party doesn't need Skype even.

Is this phone to phone ?

I don't have a Smart phone.

I understand it is expensive if it is laptop ( what I have ) and phone which my daughter has.

7 hours ago, JamJar said:

The problem with Skype Out is that unless you purchase a subscription, you'll pay 9p per minute for calls to mobile. 

https://www.skype.com/en/international-calls/United Kingdom#

Localphone have a similar service; https://www.localphone.com/call/united_kingdom

https://www.localphone.com/services/internet_phone

and possibly a free trial.

Can't find anything about using laptop ( my end ) to Smart phone in UK.

The links only mention "landlines".    Is an internet line classed as a landline ?

2 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

The links only mention "landlines".    Is an internet line classed as a landline ?

It matters not which device you call from or to, PC, laptop, Android phone, iPhone. Skype to Skype is FREE.

As is WhatsApp to WhatsApp.

6 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

They work in the same way. Skype or Localphone application installed to your PC. You can enter the number you wish to call via the Laptop/PC application and then click to call a landline/mobile anywhere.

You may need a microphone/headset for clarity.

Skype is cheap if you buy a monthly subscription, but not so cheap to call mobiles if you just call on a PAYG basis. 3.5 baht per minute for PAYG.

Localphone is cheap to call mobiles on a PAYG basis; 0.7 baht per minute.

It costs the recipient nothing to receive the call. You pay for the cost of the call from the credit you load or subscription you choose.

Archived