BANGKOK
webfact

European tourists decline against strong baht, competition

I’m a prime example of the type of tourist giving up on a family’s holiday in Thailand.30% loss in spending power over the last few years means we aren’t back to see the in-laws this year and will have a shorter winter holiday in Europe.several thousand euros that won’t be going into the thai economy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I can only judge from what I see myself. I live in Thailand but travel back to the UK every 9 months for a hospital check up and see my rented out  property is ok. When I first did this, the planes were always full to the brim. Now, I regularly sit next to no-one, and recently on a BA flight had an entire row of seats on a 25% full plane only. And as a cheapskate I always pick the cheapest non-stop, I travel on a few carriers, so see it on all airlines. So, going by that I would presume travel to Thailand is down way more that some fairy land 1.5% figure, My own eyes see a 20-30% figure, and that is giving them the benefit of the doubt

Took Air India back to Sweden 1 week ago. Stopped at Delhi. Half full. We could all choose where to sleep

the baht high and the visa laws changing,they are not coming to the LOAS.the expats leaving for the neighbour countries must send a signal to the power to be for sure.

14 hours ago, Snuller21 said:

Year on year in Pattaya, it seems more like 50%, will even say up to 65%. But I am NOT TAT, who come with it. I am just living here for 12 years and have seen decline during the last 9 years. Year on year.

Are you surprised? Every time I visited Pattaya it had gotten worse, not better. Moronic projects like the marina and the walkway destroyed what charm Pattaya had, and I think the time period you give would correspond to the rise of internet "dating" for former BGs, and the decline in friendliness of the BGs that remained.

Between the rising accommodation prices, horrid projects and the decline of the bar scene, Pattaya has little to offer western males anymore, and they injected ( pun intended ) billions into the local economy.

As a whole, Thailand is just too congested in the cities/ towns and too broken in infrastructure to attract the masses of westerners that used to come, as the new generation are too soft to rough it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, J Town said:

Even if HALF the sad stories we hear about being turned away at the border are true, that kind of bad news travels like wildfire.

While that may be true for the long stay community, the average western tourist arrives on a visa exempt entry, stays at a booked hotel, goes on a few tours, and departs.

I doubt any of us have heard of a normal tourist being turned away, and I doubt they go on TVF anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bangkokazy said:

The average salary is In Thailand, 19293 per month
after tax

Skjermbilde 2019-10-11 kl. 19.28.49.png

Hmmm... You sure that's not for Bangkok?

Average will be distorted by small number earning far higher. 

Mean is better statistic - about 10,000/month 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bangkokazy said:

They have nothing to offer tourists only <deleted> holiday

Even quality of bar girls has worstened. 

Now, every 2nd bar girl is a ladyboy which most normal people would not enjoy. 

Hmmm...what a surprise? I suspect there are a number of other reasons, but let's not mention those.TIT

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Denim said:

The policy of not allowing people to make frequent visits is probably not going to do much for tourist arrivals.

The problem seems to be that they don't actually want tourists   only their money.

Huh - is there a restriction on how many times a tourist can come to Thailand ??

Europeans are used to have the highest standards of the world.

So why would they even think of coming to Thailand?? Anybody?? Yes, cheap sex......and that's all said and done.

• Thanks 1