European tourists decline against strong baht, competition

webfact

If a potential western tourist had never been to Thailand and then spent 30 minutes reading only half a dozen of the news strings on Thai Visa (including this one) - they would strike the place of their list of holiday destinations immediately.

There is no good news on here.  Everything bad about Thailand mentioned in this current article has been said and discussed before, hundreds if not thousands of times and nothing changes. If you care to read about Siam/Thai history nothing has changed in hundreds of years. They never wanted foreigners on their soil and made it so hard for anyone to even travel across the country without permission that it makes the modern TM30 look good. As for the locals becoming "free" and no longer enslaved back in 1905, we can see with this junta that nothing has changed and without a major revolution in mind set and economics will there ever be a change. Nothing any westerner says, does or types here in local media or global media will make any change or difference.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

It is for certain one of my selection criteria, together with food and wine.

Prague and Munich are examples of beer destinations.

From a discussion I had in Europe last week about craft beers with a guy from Munich, there really isn't much of a craft beer culture there as the laws are so strict about what can go into beer. He said if you are into craft beers, it's really a boring place.

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

I sure that the majority of tourists were previously flocking into Thailand just for craft beer. 

At least we have some fresh craft beer here in CM.  There is a single craft beer producer (CM German Microbrewery) here in CM and my once a week trek for real beer is satisfied.  About as good as it gets here in the North for fresh beer.  Coming from Fort Collins, CO and all the micros there.  This is at least some fresh air.

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

A pint of Hoegaarden in Phuket town 290 Baht how much back in Europe? 

Between E 2,50 and E 3.60, depending on the location.  (84 Baht - 121 baht)

You can all come to The Netherlands. Friendly people, good healthcare, clear visa rules, and the corruption we have you will not see as a tourist.

We have a world famous red light district, a lot of windmills. And getting drunk is cheaper than in Thailand.

4 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

Between E 2,50 and E 3.60, depending on the location.  (84 Baht - 121 baht)

You can all come to The Netherlands. Friendly people, good healthcare, clear visa rules, and the corruption we have you will not see as a tourist.

We have a world famous red light district, a lot of windmills. And getting drunk is cheaper than in Thailand.

You have the BEST coffee shops on this globe. Would they decide to shut them down, Holland would have a little problem.

Your country pays way too much money for people who shouldn't be there.

I like Holland a lot and your Vanilla Fla, but I never drove to Holland to see a windmill. 

3 hours ago, wolf81 said:

When I fly to/from the Netherlands I always fly KLM and those planes are full every time I fly. Even midweek.

You should try Etihad. It is sooo nice to have 4 or 5 chairs to sleep on. And cheaper also.

3 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

You have the BEST coffee shops on this globe. Would they decide to shut them down, Holland would have a little problem.

Our tourist authority is making the same mistakes like TAT.  They hope for better quality tourists who do not come for the coffeeshops and stay at cheap airbnb's  but prefer to visit museums and stay at expensive hotels. Fortunately the Dutch economy doesn't depend on tourism.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The number of European tourist arrivals in Thailand this year is expected to decline by 1.5 per cent year on year to around 6.66 million, according to the Kasikorn Research Centre.

Their projected spending in Thailand is Bt468 billion

70,000 THB per PERSON

but but we want $0 Chinese

first time in 25 years , I will not be going to thailand,,  strong baht,,, T30 <deleted>,  60 day visa fee risen they say because of the exchange rate, having to show them your hotel booking before you get the visa and now having to show them your private bank statements to show you have minimum  £5000 in your account.. nope, moved on ...

I'm sure the math is wrong. For example, I heard somewhere in my village there is 1 other foreigner. This means since I moved here this year arrival are up 100%.

Edit: it's 200% when including my newborn child. 

6 hours ago, Snuller21 said:

Year on year in Pattaya, it seems more like 50%, will even say up to 65%. But I am NOT TAT, who come with it. I am just living here for 12 years and have seen decline during the last 9 years. Year on year.

I live in the N.E and thought a jolly was in order, so down to Pattaya we went and blow me down very very Quiet went to visit a bar owner we know and his comment was make the most of Pattaya it may not be here next year, he is in excess of 50% down on T/O week on week, customers and the few are there are all complaining they have to budget this year, and whilst we were there the baht dropped again against sterling. It may well not be the only thing to upset tourist but you know what they say about the camel and the straw.

Pattaya and all the Bar girls looked sad  sat there with nought to do, one bar girl told my wife the only hope is some bars close and girls go back to there homes.

26 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

Our tourist authority is making the same mistakes like TAT.  They hope for better quality tourists who do not come for the coffeeshops and stay at cheap airbnb's  but prefer to visit museums and stay at expensive hotels. Fortunately the Dutch economy doesn't depend on tourism.

It's the same as in Thailand they want your money but not you.

41 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

what is craft beer?

Simple explanation: Craft beer = more expensive.

It used to mean, locally produced, usually brewed in the same place you were drinking it. A greater variety of flavor - some of which you would like and some not, rather than brewed to the least common denominator for mass consumption.

Now it seems to mean funny names and unusual labels....plus more expensive.

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I can only judge from what I see myself. I live in Thailand but travel back to the UK every 9 months for a hospital check up and see my rented out  property is ok. When I first did this, the planes were always full to the brim. Now, I regularly sit next to no-one, and recently on a BA flight had an entire row of seats on a 25% full plane only. And as a cheapskate I always pick the cheapest non-stop, I travel on a few carriers, so see it on all airlines. So, going by that I would presume travel to Thailand is down way more that some fairy land 1.5% figure, My own eyes see a 20-30% figure, and that is giving them the benefit of the doubt

I too return to UK for the same reasons but every flight I have been on is packed out with every seat taken.

4 hours ago, Yinn said:

You guys must must look up in the sky. The plane come which place.

europe plane down 36.7%

chinese plane up 38.8%

india plane up 49%

russia down 12%

still wait for Malaysia plane. 

= tourism up 6% this year.

Yinn you are really very lovely

but unfortunately most of the indians and chineses have a budget so tight that

they can't even afford a 10 bahts songtaew ride, it's why i can see them all over 

Pattaya walking all day long in the middle of the streets, it's really a sad show.

15 minutes ago, Almer said:

I live in the N.E and thought a jolly was in order, so down to Pattaya we went and blow me down very very Quiet went to visit a bar owner we know and his comment was make the most of Pattaya it may not be here next year, he is in excess of 50% down on T/O week on week, customers and the few are there are all complaining they have to budget this year, and whilst we were there the baht dropped again against sterling. It may well not be the only thing to upset tourist but you know what they say about the camel and the straw.

Pattaya and all the Bar girls looked sad  sat there with nought to do, one bar girl told my wife the only hope is some bars close and girls go back to there homes.

You were with your wife in Pattaya? That explains a lot. Well run places are busy but the big beer bar complexes are a dead model. Also places like Bruno's had to close...just too big and boring. Compared to Comfort..also big but busy. Badly run bars with slovenly staff, low intelligence music and constant sport on TV deserve to close.

3 hours ago, Jack P said:

The baht is not strong, rather the Western banks are printing free money and making a stack at the expense of their citizens who fall for the free stuff politicies and devaluing the currencies.

you are partially wrong

it's both

yes the foreign currancies are weak

but the baht is strong also

3 hours ago, Gillyflower said:

Will someone tell me what the euro/baht exchange is please.  Every time I check, and the latest was this week, it is always 33.4.  Well that is the same as it was when I left earlier this year.  I will be back end of November, but I still have time to cancel if it is as bad as you all say.  Thanks in advance. 

https://superrich1965.com/home.php?language=en&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw4XOw7WU5QIV1Y-PCh2-WAJVEAAYASAAEgJ8x_D_BwE

33,25 at the moment

19 minutes ago, La Migra said:

Simple explanation: Craft beer = more expensive.

It used to mean, locally produced, usually brewed in the same place you were drinking it. A greater variety of flavor - some of which you would like and some not, rather than brewed to the least common denominator for mass consumption.

Now it seems to mean funny names and unusual labels....plus more expensive.

It's that arty farty muck they sell in the UK to the middle class yuppies in the posh pubs of London and the home counties for £5 a pint then. None of 'em could not even tell it from an ordinary £1.95 pint of bitter from the pump in their local Witherspoons.

Give me an honest to goodness pint of lager any day!

50 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Lot of Bs on this forum. Planes are full and swampy and Cw are busy as ever. Lots of threats to leave. Who cares?  

I wish there were less expats here. Don’t care about tourists. if you cannot afford retirement get a job. 

why are you so arrogant?

Do you feel better now?

Archived