European tourists decline against strong baht, competition

webfact

7 minutes ago, Schtrick said:

The strategy seems to be working, and the strong Baht is just assisting. There's no shortage of tourists, what Thailand is losing is the retirees that have no money and cause most of the country's problems. Stayed at Grande Centre Point Pattaya last visit, was packed out but I was almost  the only white European there the whole stay. Desk told me average 75% Chinese & 25% Korean during the week and rich Thais from BKK on weekends.

However, this can not be generalized and applied to the population, the utilization of all accommodation in the whole of Thailand. I do not know any hotel, resort or house for rent owner who has a 100% occupancy throughout the year.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

USD no issue, .....the AUD used to buy THB31+ a few years ago as well, now its holding just above THB20 at the best exchanges, banks and hotels around THB18.5. Next year it could be as low as THB16 Still doesn't stop me from going, did my homework years ago.

3 minutes ago, Schtrick said:

The strategy seems to be working, and the strong Baht is just assisting. There's no shortage of tourists, what Thailand is losing is the retirees that have no money and cause most of the country's problems. Stayed at Grande Centre Point Pattaya last visit, was packed out but I was almost  the only white European there the whole stay. Desk told me average 75% Chinese & 25% Korean during the week and rich Thais from BKK on weekends.

I very much agree. Was in BKK recently and Terminal 21 at Sukhumvit was crowded as usual, so were the trains - lots of tourists around and the line at the money exchange at Asoke BTS was exceeding long with all nationalities there. Was in a very nice hotel in Asoke $40/night. The high baht does just about nothing to short term tourists (that spend about $2000/week) . If anything it weeds out the real cheap charlie deadbeats.

4 minutes ago, Paul Henry said:

Vested interests will keep the cost of alcohol high,they are not interested in tourists only their own self gain.I visit Thailand 3-4 times a year,the regular cry I hear from non asian tourists is the ridiculous price of alcohol. Quality spirits and wine prices are way above what the market value is or what the neighbouring countries charge.The regular chant from these european tourists is go to Vietnam or Cambodia. Myanmar and Loa are coming up fast.The singular self interests of the Thai moguls is we must get richer and the best way is rip off tourists.My future plans is now one trip a year to Thailand to catch up with inlaws and family and that will be a quick trip on our way to one of the other inviting asian countries.

I don't get the continuous railing against the price of alcoholic beverages. What's so hard about not drinking alcohol if the price is too high. Only alcoholics HAVE to drink alcohol.

I don't buy anything if I think the price is too high- seem simple to me.

37 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's been all over the forum for years now.

Tourists don't visit every 2-3 months. Get the proper visa.

I go every 3 months without fail, never been questioned, heard some chat about it but it never affected me, .......just saying

2 minutes ago, Melbun said:

I very much agree. Was in BKK recently and Terminal 21 at Sukhumvit was crowded as usual, so were the trains - lots of tourists around and the line at the money exchange at Asoke BTS was exceeding long with all nationalities there. Was in a very nice hotel in Asoke $40/night. The high baht does just about nothing to short term tourists (that spend about $2000/week) . If anything it weeds out the real cheap charlie deadbeats.

That's a good observation.

On my last visit to the moneychanger, corner Sukumvit Soi 11, 7 people were in the shop. But I've also seen times where 20-30 people were in the shop.

5 minutes ago, Schtrick said:

I go every 3 months without fail, never been questioned, heard some chat about it but it never affected me, .......just saying

As you probably know, nothing in Thai officialdom is standard. Every immigration office applies different requirements.

You, apparently, have not yet met an IO that is going to be difficult. Does not mean that you won't in future.

Read this thread from visa sub forum.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1127926-refused-entry-twice-be-warned/page/12/?tab=comments#comment-14657254

49 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They should look at themselves then. The people that destroyed every decent beach in LOS with horrid concrete buildings, rip off taxi drivers, con men etc are all THAIS.

I started going when it was A frame huts and communal bathrooms, and I stopped going when the flashpacker accommodation ruined the vibe.

I loved Samui- Chaweng was fantastic. RUINED by GREED.

Loved Railay West- looking at the horrid concrete resorts there now I'll never go back. RUINED by GREED.

Loved Patong- RUINED by GREED.

Samila Beach- RUINED by GREED

Hua Hin- RUINED by GREED

Bottle Beach- RUINED by GREED

Had Rin- used to be great. Probably the best beach in LOS- RUINED by GREED

Kho Tao- RUINED by GREED.

Phi Phi- completely DESTROYED by GREED.

Phi Phi Leh- had to be closed because DESTROYED by GREED.

The only beaches worth going to now are difficult to get to.

I can mostly agree with that. And there are still very beautiful beaches in Thailand, if you know where.

1 minute ago, tomacht8 said:

I can mostly agree with that. And there are still very beautiful beaches in Thailand, if you know where.

Indeed there are, but please don't name them on the internet or the Bkk greedies will ruin them before you can say "that's a lovely beach".

My user name was started way back before the concrete destruction had really taken hold. It's not very applicable today, sadly.

20 minutes ago, Schtrick said:

Those terrible old retirees trashing the beaches with their garbage,dumping their dogs to breed and spread rabies, forcing the military to mount a coup against a democratically elected government,if it wasn't for them there would be no need for visas and 90 day reporting etc etc,they had to implement double pricing to keep there numbers down otherwise the poor local folks would never be able to visit their national parks,they have to keep the price of alcohol high otherwise they would be fighting in the bars and gogo's every night,don't get me started on their gambling dens,bridge a likely story.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thailand hasn't changed that much outside of Bkk. Repeat tourists will probably come back once a year on a visa exempt entry. They won't have a problem.

Yes no visa problems.

But maybe these tourists have had bad experiences. Then these tourists will not come back. And the negative holiday experiences make the rounds in there local home circles of friends.

2 minutes ago, adammike said:

Those terrible old retirees trashing the beaches with their garbage,dumping their dogs to breed and spread rabies, forcing the military to mount a coup against a democratically elected government,if it wasn't for them there would be no need for visas and 90 day reporting etc etc,they had to implement double pricing to keep there numbers down otherwise the poor local folks would never be able to visit their national parks,they have to keep the price of alcohol high otherwise they would be fighting in the bars and gogo's every night,don't get me started on their gambling dens,bridge a likely story.

Seems you are one of the terrible old retirees that you are sniping at ??

3 minutes ago, adammike said:

Thailand has its problems that will probably never get sorted, but if you look at the data on foreign passports entering Thailand Europeans / USA make up a very small percentage of the total, but watch Pattaya One news every night and who do you see getting arrested, stabbed, sh*t kicked out of? It aint the Chinese, Koreans etc. Btw, forgot to mention, Grande Centre Point has no alcohol in any restaurant, nor pool bar. Good strategy for a high class place as it keeps the falang (trouble makers) well away.

7 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Yes no visa problems.

But maybe these tourists have had bad experiences. Then these tourists will not come back. And the negative holiday experiences make the rounds in there local home circles of friends.

Oh look !! it's possible to have a terrible holiday experience no matter where you travel. You pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get on with it. That's no valid excuse to not come back to Thailand

3 minutes ago, Melbun said:

Oh look !! it's possible to have a terrible holiday experience no matter where you travel. You pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get on with it. That's no valid excuse to not come back to Thailand

indeed. Because you would need a reliable feedback survey of Thailand tourists.

I know many Thailand tourists, unfortunately not come back.

I do not understand why any Euro family would come here.

Aren´t there much better family beach, resort places better and closer to Europe?

You rarely see US families here.  Hawaii and Mexico are much closer and have much better beaches and resort settings then here.

I do recommend this place for single males, those going thru divorce etc.  They mostly seem to have a great time.

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I do not understand why any Euro family would come here.

Aren´t there much better family beach, resort places better and closer to Europe?

You rarely see US families here.  Hawaii and Mexico are much closer and have much better beaches and resort settings then here.

I do recommend this place for single males, those going thru divorce etc.  They mostly seem to have a great time.

Families do not come to where the bulk of tourists (men) go in Thailand. Only a very small number come to see the temples and sample the food etc.

18 hours ago, Lacrimas said:

Tourism is the second most important sector they have in Thailand and they are killing it with the strong baht. Retirement is another big revenue and they plan to kill it with absurd insurance premiums. Export is dying because of the strong baht. I forecast a recession in Thailand for 2020-2021.

The insurance is for OA  visa obtained outside the country not extension of stay MANY ppl don.t get that

15 minutes ago, kingdong said:

Basically thailand as a tourist destination is a busted flush,prices are higher than uk,and I live in london,only thing cheaper are hotels,and transportation,might have a week next time I visit  South East asia,no more

Doooooom & Gloooom baloney. Things that are better than grimy London : The weather, the food, the temples, the ladies, the cheap accommodation, the distance to fat entitled local bitches, absence of  political correctness, the rude self obsessed Londoners, the horrible greasy sausages (get the point) ?? nothing wrong with a 1 - 4 week stay in Thailand.

11 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Not just the strong baht but taxes on alcohol too. For anyone who likes wine Thailand is a no go area.

Take a liking to other forms of pi** OMG you are seriously boycotting Thailand because wine is expensive. Look mate - stay at home and drink all the wine you want.

1 hour ago, Schtrick said:

And it may be that you continue to do without any bother for years to come. However the chances of being denied entry nowadays are far higher than they ought to be, even with a valid visa.

Take a look at the visa forum. If even half of the denied entry reports are true, there is still cause for some concern.

14 hours ago, dimitriv said:

You can also see them negotiating on the street with hookers. Trying to get a group discount. I once overheard such a negotiation. They tried to pay 1200 Baht for short time with 5 guys.

Not strange that bar girls do not like them.

No wonder ensogo went out of business. 

Archived