European tourists decline against strong baht, competition

webfact

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, DrTuner said:

It is for certain one of my selection criteria, together with food and wine.

Prague and Munich are examples of beer destinations.

Understandable. An immense part of the culture is built around beer festivals. But not craft beer. In fact, I'd be surprised if, in Germany, there were many craft beers at all. The rules and regulations for producing beer in Germany are strict and rigorous. And I don't think some Hipster brewed concoction is going to pass the test all that easily.

I am on the eastern gulf side near Koh Chang right now. 

The whole island is full with Germans, I can literally speak German here everywhere... German families and couples, no sexpats. There are no lady bars here at all. 

So yeah they might go less to the usual <deleted> holes but if you really want they are still easy to attract. Just build non <deleted>ty resorts, don't rip them off, and they come... Oh and don't invite tons of Indians and Chinese, that's a sure way for them to never come back. 

A post bringing prostitution into the topic has been removed:

17) You will not discuss the specifics of prostitution. Though Thailand has a visible sex industry, and acknowledgement of that fact is not forbidden, ThaiVisa is not the place to seek or give information on this topic, regardless of your sexual habits, preferences or orientation.

10 hours ago, Schtrick said:

Thailand has its problems that will probably never get sorted, but if you look at the data on foreign passports entering Thailand Europeans / USA make up a very small percentage of the total, but watch Pattaya One news every night and who do you see getting arrested, stabbed, sh*t kicked out of? It aint the Chinese, Koreans etc. Btw, forgot to mention, Grande Centre Point has no alcohol in any restaurant, nor pool bar. Good strategy for a high class place as it keeps the falang (trouble makers) well away.

I was taking the mickey out of the guy who blamed all the problems that Thailand has on retirees, I'm struggling with the idea that some seem to take it literally.

I have no idea what a glass/bottle of wine costs.I know beers overpriced a glass of draught tiger cost me 99baht in the Stumble Inn Bangkok beginning of march.

I don't know if it was a half litre 500ml or a half pint American that's 8 fluid ounces or Brit half that's 10 fluid ounces, if I remember correctly, the last time I had to deal with that was at catering college at the end of the 60s.

I rarely drink these days just the odd beer to cool down.

6 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

The whole island is full with Germans, I can literally speak German here everywhere... German families and couples, no sexpats. There are no lady bars here at all. 

Thank you

i have just updated my to do list = avoid Koh Chang

27 minutes ago, riverdee said:

because i have already booked i will visit in December but will be the last time after 15 years my only holiday destination.....because of high baht and of course Brexit the pound exchange is <deleted> so time to look for pastures new

Maybe boring Cotswolds? or grimy London, Brighton, Stonehenge, Stoke on Trent ????????????

20 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Yes no visa problems.

But maybe these tourists have had bad experiences. Then these tourists will not come back. And the negative holiday experiences make the rounds in there local home circles of friends.

There were just as many bad experiences in the past. Con men didn't just start operating last year, and standards of accommodation were terrible in places. The ferries to the islands were a disgrace, and drunk captains sank vessels with loss of life.

The difference now is that the internet allows any disappointed softie to post to the world about their experience, and all the masses take it as gospel.

Thailand was wonderful, but one had to take the rough with the brilliant. Now, apparently, if someone stubs their toe on a paving stone, it's world news.

The internet has changed the world and not for the better.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There were just as many bad experiences in the past. Con men didn't just start operating last year, and standards of accommodation were terrible in places. The ferries to the islands were a disgrace, and drunk captains sank vessels with loss of life.

The difference now is that the internet allows any disappointed softie to post to the world about their experience, and all the masses take it as gospel.

Thailand was wonderful, but one had to take the rough with the brilliant. Now, apparently, if someone stubs their toe on a paving stone, it's world news.

The internet has changed the world and not for the better.

I actually agree with you ... hooray !! woo hoo !!

19 hours ago, kingdong said:

Basically thailand as a tourist destination is a busted flush,prices are higher than uk,and I live in london,only thing cheaper are hotels,and transportation,might have a week next time I visit  South East asia,no more

Do you only eat in Dukes? How can a 50 baht meal be more than what you'd pay in London? Even Mcds is more than that, a lot more.

Clothes, dental treatment, over counter drugs; all way cheaper.

20 hours ago, Melbun said:

Oh look !! it's possible to have a terrible holiday experience no matter where you travel. You pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get on with it. That's no valid excuse to not come back to Thailand

Sri Lanka was terrible for me. I'll never go back there. I spent 2 weeks wishing I'd gone to LOS instead.

18 hours ago, Schtrick said:

Yes that's what I meant to say ......Not yet anyway, but Im sure if it does, I'm sure my Mrs. will sort it out.

I'm sure that after your misses puts the fear of god into immigration, they will let you in. You can't be serious?

37 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sri Lanka was terrible for me. I'll never go back there. I spent 2 weeks wishing I'd gone to LOS instead.

Yeh have to agree again. That place & India  and similar does nothing for me. SE Asia, Latin America are the winners.

40 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

I'm sure that after your misses puts the fear of god into immigration, they will let you in. You can't be serious?

Maybe she's a Mrs Thatcher lookalike (rip) ... breathing fire and brimstone (I scared already even thinking about it).

On 10/11/2019 at 8:46 AM, spoon1967 said:

Agree, 12 years ago (getting 70+ BHT/GBP), the likes of Soi 7 was a great place to drink all day, it was full of Western tourists and beautiful girls, New Plaza was the same, now they're empty.  

I still like to have a beer in New Plaza, but mostly drink on Bukhoew/MIT,  which have always been Western "safe havens", but now I see Arabs/Indians etc seeking them out, that's not me being racist, it's just that cultures that are so far apart, don't mix well normally. 

New Plaza, MIT?

yes, a  continued recovery of the post-1997 Thai Baht has some downsides.... it is not 100% wonderful.

but if you know that tourism, and air travel.... by airplane.... any airplane we have today or will manufacture after safety testing super lightweight WHATEVER for 300,000 to 400,000 new aircraft just down the road.... it is 98% good news nit just for Thai outbound tourists.... but everyone in Thailand because tourism has escaped relatively well from any effort to scale or in time to delay extinction of everything with eyeballs so far... all the way to 2019 so far..... but the reality is coming in thicker and thicker. tick tock.

On 10/12/2019 at 2:28 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

?????????????????

What are you talking about? Retirees that have no money don't stay in LOS because of the extension requirements.

Most of the country's problems are caused by the 69 million Thais, not an insignificant number of farang retirees.

Well many of them can't even afford a healthcare insurance....it's a fact...

Actually, there is no reason to go for a holiday in Thailand.

Talking straight.

There are more interesting countries.

The service in many countries is much better than here, a lot of people are to busy with playing Facebook.

The prices are also better than many rip off prices in Thailand. Not to forget the dual prizing and the newest dual prizing on health insurance.

So, if you are looking for girls, there are nice girls everywhere. 

Many other countries are also cleaner and less polluted.

Finally, the exchange rate for the Euro, Dollar to Baht is worst.

So, I would not choose Thailand.

1 hour ago, SuwadeeS said:

Actually, there is no reason to go for a holiday in Thailand.

Talking straight.

There are more interesting countries.

The service in many countries is much better than here, a lot of people are to busy with playing Facebook.

The prices are also better than many rip off prices in Thailand. Not to forget the dual prizing and the newest dual prizing on health insurance.

So, if you are looking for girls, there are nice girls everywhere. 

Many other countries are also cleaner and less polluted.

Finally, the exchange rate for the Euro, Dollar to Baht is worst.

So, I would not choose Thailand.

Bye then !! Everyone is cheering. Nice not to have known you. Even the girls are applauding ????

Don't think you can blame the European tourists for not coming can you? There are so many other countries putting out the red carpet these days offering the same deal but far cheaper. But mostly it's the greed and lack of respect that will deter them from coming or even returning to Thailand. You had your time,  and now it's someone else's turn. 

7 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

As the last truly international and free spirited city in Thailand...many people do. And it gets repeat visitors.  The people who criticize it are usually people who gave never visited the place.

<deleted>???????

truly international free spirited city????

repeat visitors????

the type of repeat visitors Pattaya attracts are the ones the Thai government are trying so hard to get rid of! 

Period! 

Its world renowned for ALL the wrong reasons, 

On 10/12/2019 at 1:49 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

School holidays in Germany. In a couple of weeks should be more quiet again.

I still enjoy going there, but I tend to split my time with other countries now. Thailand was my 1st county in Asia I've been to, so I fell in love with the beaches immediately.

These days I go to the Philippines for my island craving, which I think the offer is superior to Thailand. But I'll still try do a few days in Bangkok at the end. Love the vibe of the city and food options.

I probably won't ever do a full on holiday all over Thailand again as it's a bit of a rip off.

8 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

New Plaza, MIT?

On 10/11/2019 at 6:46 PM, spoon1967 said:

Agree, 12 years ago (getting 70+ BHT/GBP), the likes of Soi 7 was a great place to drink all day, it was full of Western tourists and beautiful girls, New Plaza was the same, now they're empty.  

I still like to have a beer in New Plaza, but mostly drink on Bukhoew/MIT,  which have always been Western "safe havens", but now I see Arabs/Indians etc seeking them out, that's not me being racist, it's just that cultures that are so far apart, don't mix well normally. 

Melbun said:

No of course you are not being racist - heaven forbid else you will be struck by lightning. And of course a big motivator is to be able to sit and drink all day. I can see that.

Actually I can see a big storm cloud hovering  directly above you. Zap.

On 10/11/2019 at 10:15 PM, Fex Bluse said:

I enjoy most of your posts. Can't agree with this one, respectfully. 

Thais on average seem to lack the courage/will/desire to rise up. 

We know of Thai philosophy that it is given to Fatalism, so perhaps the ones hurting think their fate cannot be changed by action. Or, worst case, they will be rewarded in the next life for suffering in this one. 

Either way, their suffering, if any, causes me to lose no sleep. None. 

Agree, Thais just keep taking it up the A%^&#$rse with day to day BS from the government, its their way of life, they don't seem to have any drive for political action, it means thinking outside the box and that ain't going to happen.

1 hour ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Agree, Thais just keep taking it up the A%^&#$rse with day to day BS from the government, its their way of life, they don't seem to have any drive for political action, it means thinking outside the box and that ain't going to happen.

Have you forgotten about the airport closures and downtown "shut down Bangkok" I've got that t-shirt.

The late king had to step in one time to restrain the military when they shot students, not sure they would dare these days with everybody a reporter with their phone cameras.

Archived