OA extension and health insurance

Sorry for link only but don't know how to copy original post but basically Nong khai are insisting on health insurance for anyone wanting yearly extension if you originally had OA visa
As it only applies to OA visas issued after 31 October, I'd say that Nong Khai are talking rubbish!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

And so it starts.......

Yes and i can't wait to see Emptypocket and Max69xl, having explained ad nauseum and in a rude style to everyone ''that's not going to happen, relax guys, stop spread rumors and so on''  come here now and make a public anthology for (at least) their naivety

i know, i can still dream

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

And so it starts.......

FYI: Already  2-3  threads about this.  

Compulsory Health insurance for 0-A visa applicants effective 31st October

By Lovethailandelite, Wednesday at 01:51 PM in Thai visas, residency and work permits

Rate this topic

Mandatory health insurance due for long stay tourists

By webfact, 14 hours ago in Thailand News

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You have to be member of the Facebook group "Expats In Isaan / Northeast Thailand" it was posted in (I am a member).

Just another immigration office misconstruing what the order states. Give it time and it will get sorted out.

Edit: Text of post.

Thanks Joe 

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Answer: No, only medical insurance from those companies listed on site will be accepted.

The "guidelines" document for the O-A health insurance program on the TGIA website specifically says that foreign insurance policies, if they meet the required coverage amounts, WILL be accepted for the FIRST year.  That's why they have a PDF certification form on the website specifically for foreign insurance companies to fill out on your behalf.

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

As it only applies to OA visas issued after 31 October, I'd say that Nong Khai are talking rubbish!

The Immigration memo to officers, regarding existing O-A visas, talks about the trigger point being the date of entry into Thailand, not the date the O-A visa was issued.

So the way that read was, anyone wanting to enter Thailand on an O-A after Oct. 31 would be subject to the new insurance requirement, seemingly whether they got their visa in early November OR if they got it in early 2019 and are just now using it for their final visa entry.

You have to be member of the Facebook group "Expats In Isaan / Northeast Thailand" it was posted in (I am a member).

Just another immigration office misconstruing what the order states. Give it time and it will get sorted out.

The latest report here may indeed be wrong. But if it is, then it's the exact same kind of wrong as various other reports that pretty much share the same theme of information.

I don't doubt the ability of local Immigration officers to get their own rules, in this case a new rule, wrong. But you wouldn't necessarily think they're all getting it wrong exactly the same way.... unless....

Joe, would you like to provide evidence the new rule only applies to new OA visas and not extensions of older ones? You seem very sure, but I see no evidence that you are correct.

The police order does not say what you claim and logic also suggests it wont be the case so could you point to some reference material to justify your view?

This new rule has profound implications so lets try to be logical and evidence based and work out what do do, not just make overly optimistic assumptions.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, uncleeagle said:

Joe, would you like to provide evidence the new rule only applies to new OA visas and not extensions of older ones?

There is no evidence to the contrary either.

As mentioned previously, many people living in Thailand on Extensions have never, ever, had an O-A visa. It is discriminatory, and does not make sense, that two people living next door in Thailand, have completely different requirements to obtaining their extensions, based solely on the sub category of Non-Imm-O their first extension was based on. 

One would expect all those on extensions to be required to show insurance, or perhaps only retirement extensions, (as marrieds seem to get financial breaks, but in my mind are more likely to be the ones who would struggle with a medical bill), OR, it is simply for those who apply for Non-Imm-OAs or enter Thailand using one, after Oct 31st. Possibly include those entering on a re-entry permit where the original permission is that of a O-A Visa.

Wait and see.... there is always a time of confusion when requirements change, with fiefdom offices pea-cocking, issuing their own premature statements. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Skallywag said:

FYI: Already  2-3  threads about this.

Yes, and there will be more. I didn't start any of them. Probably I have posted in them. Mods will be along closing them down soon in an attempt to focus comment. Like the last TM30 plague we had. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, uncleeagle said:

Joe, would you like to provide evidence the new rule only applies to new OA visas and not extensions of older ones? You seem very sure, but I see no evidence that you are correct.

You just have to read every page of the announcement posted on the immigration website.

In particular the last page where it states the procedures that only mentions enforcement when entering the country.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, and there will be more. I didn't start any of them. Probably I have posted in them. Mods will be along closing them down soon in an attempt to focus comment. Like the last TM30 plague we had. 

This thread isn't just speculation, it is someone who actually went into immigration as his extension is due just after the 31st and was told no health insurance then no extension 

6 minutes ago, rumbo1 said:

This thread isn't just speculation, it is someone who actually went into immigration as his extension is due just after the 31st and was told no health insurance then no extension 

Since when has Nong Khai been dictating national policy?  One needs to see a police order dictating it and such implementation.

Not what some IO guy said on a Friday afternoon before a long weekend. Actually it is not mentioned whether he spoke to the boss of the IO, a secondary or lower tier IO, a helper on her day off from school, or the office cat. 

Sadly, what is implemented in rural offices affects the people being required to use them. 

18 minutes ago, rumbo1 said:

As with most 2nd-3rd hand information, you have no idea what question was asked, the context, was it understood etc. There is a high probability the question or the answer was misunderstood.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

As with most 2nd-3rd hand information, you have no idea what question was asked, the context, was it understood etc. There is a high probability the question or the answer was misunderstood.

His post clearly states what questions were asked. Not second hand information , he is a friend of mine who is intelligent and not short of money. ...... Also at the end of the day it doesn't appear to matter what the official rules are if the IO says insurance needed and you don't have it then no extension 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You just have to read every page of the announcement posted on the immigration website.

In particular the last page where it states the procedures that only mentions enforcement when entering the country.

I'm concerned about the question of entry into the country on a Non O-A issued six months ago - I have to fly and re-enter the country early next month and very worried I'll be hit by this. As John says earlier the date of entry on this visa class is the thing they seem to be on the lookout for rather than the date the visa is issued. You've commented elsewhere there's no mention that it's retroactive, but the police order doesn't make any reference at all to visas that already exist, it only stipulates a different treatment of Non O-A's after 31st October. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, uncleeagle said:

The police order does not say what you claim and logic also suggests it wont be the case so could you point to some reference material to justify your view?

This new rule has profound implications so lets try to be logical and evidence based and work out what do do, not just make overly optimistic assumptions.

I would think that logic would say that new rules are not retroactive. If Thailand wants every long stay resident to have insurance then I'm sure they will come up with a new rule in the future and announce it.

The guy who posted on Facebook about his dealings with NK immigration must need insurance as he might have dementia he might have an overstay. He has two O/A’s over 7 years residency so with extensions it might give him a bit over 4 years stay. Does he really know what visa he is on?  His overseas visa sounds O/A then he could not possibly stay 7 years on 2 visas.

Did he really ask the right questions?

Did the IO really understand him.?

Or is it a bit of bull sheet by a stirrer?

• Haha 1

The "guidelines" document for the O-A health insurance program on the TGIA website specifically says that foreign insurance policies, if they meet the required coverage amounts, WILL be accepted for the FIRST year.  That's why they have a PDF certification form on the website specifically for foreign insurance companies to fill out on your behalf.

That page also includes a disclaimer that it is not an official site and cannot guarantee accuracy.

Nothing at all in the Police order to suggest foreign policies will be accepted.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1