WP transfer

I thought I'd drop in to the local DoL to check what I need when changing WP.

Firstly, the woman was not happy speaking Thai as it was the foreigner counter, but eventually gave in as I refused to speak pidgin.

I was surprised to find that I can't cancel my own WP, it must be a 'Thai person'.

I've heard of others cancelling their own WP, so started thinking she was making things up.

Then she said that the WP was the property of my work and not mine, news to me.

Also, I can't transfer my WP but must apply for a new one. Fair enough?

Also heard that my new work cant apply for the new WP until my old work have cancelled the old one. I had heard that they could apply 1 week before.

No biggie but I wonder how much this woman actually told the truth.

Then she said I'd have to leave the country,  and when I said I was getting a visa based on marriage and was the transfer of WP anything to do with immigration, she said it wasn't.

I am more confused than when I went in!

I think she was wrong about you not be able to cancel the work permit yourself. The cancellation form states you can.

work-permit-cancellation.pdf

You do have to apply for a new work permit. They cannot be transferred to another employer.

I have seen many reports of people being able to apply for a work permit before the existing one was canceled. Then when the existing one is cancelled the new one is issued.

When you are on a extension of stay based upon marriage you will not even need to inform immigration you have one unless you are using the income from working to meet the 40k baht requirement to apply for it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Then she said that the WP was the property of my work and not mine, news to me.

The interesting thing is the application for a work permit or a work permit extension is yours alone. You sign as the applicant. If your employer (or an agent) wants to represent you or submit an application on your behalf then they need an authority letter signed by you. If you are the applicant then in my opinion the work permit is more yours then your employers.

As stated, you can cancel on your own behalf - I've done it myself previously in Bangkok.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

who can be the power of attorney

Any Thai adult who is of sound mind.

Also, technically, any non-Thai person who has the correct work permit. That being said, I would be surprised if any work permits for this category of work exist.