Are you tired of waiting for the next shoe to drop ?

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/21/2019 at 6:26 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

If he's still in school he won't remember how bad it got under Thaksin. I still think it's far better for THAIS now that it was under that guy, and I hope those days never come back.

If any want to know why Swampy is such a rubbish airport ask yourself where all the money went.

Every government since I arrived in Thailand 35 years ago been very corrupt, Thaksin was probably the most corrupt of them all, but he is a very clever man, he got the masses to believe that he was their friend and helper. 

I'm more concerned about my son his future (education / education cost for half baked International schools) and making more money for a pension (ever increasing costs) than about my own visa access situation to be honest. There is always some way to get a visa done here, it is just not free anymore. 

Regardless, depending how things evolve, plans on the mid term are to relocate for reason mentioned above.
Also i'd like to feel welcome and home again, something I did here in the past more than back home, but not anymore. 

Do hate to be at constant threat of immigration and never knowing what pops up next, have to admit that (despite some new solution being there).

3 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Every government since I arrived in Thailand 35 years ago been very corrupt, Thaksin was probably the most corrupt of them all, but he is a very clever man, he got the masses to believe that he was their friend and helper. 

My ex wife loved him. I had to bite my tongue not to say what I thought of him to her. 

Thailand was corrupt before him, but he took it to new heights.

On 10/22/2019 at 1:20 PM, simon43 said:

I know this suggestion might come as a shock to some.  But have you ever considered that Thailand doesn't want 'farang' immigrants?

Agreed. It amuses me somewhat when I read farangs posting "but, but, but we put so much money into the economy, we support Thailand, we are the best thing Thailand has going for it" etc etc etc.

Compared to Thailand's economy, long stay farangs are completely irrelevant. The total tourist economy ( and farangs are tourists despite however many years they've been living in LOS, unless got PR ) numbers many millions per year, and long stay farangs are a mere few thousand. The only Thais that farangs are significant for are those that live off them, whether married to, living with, or just working with. The rest of Thailand's people probably never give farangs a moment's thought as they go about their lives.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agreed. It amuses me somewhat when I read farangs posting "but, but, but we put so much money into the economy, we support Thailand, we are the best thing Thailand has going for it" etc etc etc.

Compared to Thailand's economy, long stay farangs are completely irrelevant. The total tourist economy ( and farangs are tourists despite however many years they've been living in LOS, unless got PR ) numbers many millions per year, and long stay farangs are a mere few thousand. The only Thais that farangs are significant for are those that live off them, whether married to, living with, or just working with. The rest of Thailand's people probably never give farangs a moment's thought as they go about their lives.

Mainly True I agree,

But I notice that "Thai Smile", which shows they are thinking about the Falang,

such as, how can I get my hand on that ATM in his pocket.

Regardless of whether in total Farang Expats contribute large amounts of money or not to the Thai Economy... It is rather disconcerting to have played by the rules, been well behaved guests, not breaking rules, not costing the Thai Economy a single Baht, etc., only to find significant negative changes and threats to one's continued existence here. And

Please, no lectures from the upper financial crust to us mere peasants... Your continued existence here is likely to be threatened in a few years also - as the xenophobes in the Thai Government Bureaucracy begins to take notice of you too and dig their financial greedy fingers into your life even deeper. I recall only a few gears ago reading all the not so nice "Lording Over" older Expats directed towards those doing monthly border runs - basically just low life scum who could no pay their way it was said. Several of those lowlifes pointed out that Thai bureaucrats would get around to you too. And guess what? They have... 

With all that is going on - I am quite pleased with my near accidental course change about three years ago. I backed into buying a small company - changed from a Non O Extension age 50 and over - to a Non B and WP... I even chose a one year Multi-Entry Visa to avoid dealing with the Immigration office. After two years of bureaucratic grief - I chanced onto a Thai Bookkeeper / business assistant and now 'LG' - Life is Good. I run my little company, pay taxes, earn some extra money to supplement my pension. AND - I completely avoided this newly emerged set of  'Retirement Hassles". I find my daily, monthly and yearly life predictable and mostly hassle free.  Business financial overhead is small... No meeting Thai Immigration's surprise of the month or sometime week.

No it isn't perfection but beats the plight that some friends on Non 

O Extensions endure such as friend who was denied an Extension a few months ago. He had the 65K monthly income proof but was told that since he was an American and that the American Embassy was no longer issuing Income Affidavits his only financial proof he could use was to have 800,000 Baht in the bank. Never mind the rules... He just has to take it and shut up. He has been exploring Vietnam on three visits now. 

On 10/11/2019 at 6:51 PM, bkk6060 said:

Guess it depends who, where, when, how.

I worry about none of it.

Last year with extension, 90 day reports, resident cert., proof of funds in bank I probably spent a total of an hour inside the Chonburi Imm. office.

And I have a good insurance policy well covered. 

In most cases mommy is not here.  So If a person is a mature adult and can adapt and be responsible, should be no worries at all.

Wow. Your ego! 5555. Let me enlighten you... First.. Buy a new watch. Yours is broken. You spend lots of hours on immigration issues. Like being here on TV and learning about one more rule. So please get a grip and join the reality here and now. 

On 10/26/2019 at 10:40 PM, JDGRUEN said:

O Extensions endure such as friend who was denied an Extension a few months ago. He had the 65K monthly income proof but was told that since he was an American and that the American Embassy was no longer issuing Income Affidavits his only financial proof he could use was to have 800,000 Baht in the bank. Never mind the rules... He just has to take it and shut up. He has been exploring Vietnam on three visits now. 

I must be prescient then, as I realised years ago that 800,000 in the bank was the only sure thing. The income and combined methods were far too vulnerable to bureaucracy.

The only thing I worried about was that they might increase it to a million.

If Vietnam was a better option overall, this forum would be now called VietVisaForum. Obviously it's not.

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I must be prescient then, as I realised years ago that 800,000 in the bank was the only sure thing. The income and combined methods were far too vulnerable to bureaucracy.

The only thing I worried about was that they might increase it to a million.

If Vietnam was a better option overall, this forum would be now called VietVisaForum. Obviously it's not.

Why do you think Vietnam is not a better option?

As for Visas, you are right, money solves most problems!

On 11/1/2019 at 12:17 AM, DaRoadrunner said:

Why do you think Vietnam is not a better option?

As for Visas, you are right, money solves most problems!

Does Vietnam have a similar nite scene where lovely young women are able to stay with me for as long as I want? If not, it's not a better option. I didn't keep coming to LOS to see more temples.

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Does Vietnam have a similar nite scene where lovely young women are able to stay with me for as long as I want? If not, it's not a better option. I didn't keep coming to LOS to see more temples.

They certainly have that option in Saigon and Vung Tau.

Although personally, I prefer the prices and VISA options in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I thought communists were opposed to visible signs of prostitution.

I thought that too, but the 5-6 bar streets in PP were exactly the same as bars in Pattaya.

The main difference being the Khmer girls had to be over 18 to work in the bars.

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I thought that too, but the 5-6 bar streets in PP were exactly the same as bars in Pattaya.

The main difference being the Khmer girls had to be over 18 to work in the bars.

You must be joking! Cambo is and always was the pedo capital of the universe !!

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes they most certainly do, I don't know where you have been looking, but obviously not in the right place. 

Looks like the shoe has dropped.

Prayut praises China for keeping region stable, prosperous

Now I understand the reason behind all the recent bias against Falang Expats,

and the squeeze from Immigration.  It is Falang Out Chinese In, with India in the Mix.

They will not stop until they turn Thailand into Chiland.

We western Expats who see it coming, are like the squeaky wheel that needs oil.

Best way to silence us, is to get rid of us, but not too open, so use the boil frog trick.

Little by Little.

Sorry to say, It will get worst before it gets better.

Words to the wise, make your plan B, and be ready.

6 hours ago, WhatupThailand said:

Looks like the shoe has dropped.

Prayut praises China for keeping region stable, prosperous

Now I understand the reason behind all the recent bias against Falang Expats,

and the squeeze from Immigration.  It is Falang Out Chinese In, with India in the Mix.

They will not stop until they turn Thailand into Chiland.

We western Expats who see it coming, are like the squeaky wheel that needs oil.

Best way to silence us, is to get rid of us, but not too open, so use the boil frog trick.

Little by Little.

Sorry to say, It will get worst before it gets better.

Words to the wise, make your plan B, and be ready.

That mirrors my feeling about the bigger long term picture. They don't need to do a big mass visible expulsion that would of course be horrible PR. Just keep adding new annoyances and potential trip wires. It doesn't mean that all or most current western expats will leave. But plenty already have and plenty will later that would not have gone without this slow but sure tightening. I really don't understand why many new people would be coming in such an environment but of course being wealthy enough takes care of things and people can't really understand what's happening here until they live and feel it themselves.

On 11/2/2019 at 7:28 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes  it does, if that is what you want.

7 hours ago, simon43 said:

Singapore (76.2%).  I suspect the Chinese who live in Singapore aren't sympathetic to the policies of mainland China....

Thailand has the most overseas Chinese people in the world. That was the point that I was trying to make. 

Singapore is very pro-American. Maybe you didn't know this but Lee Kuan Yew closed down all Chinese schools and a university in Singapore, a decision that he later regretted. Before he entered politics, he couldn't speak Chinese because he was born into a Peranakan family. But he was an ardent promoter of Mandarin speaking in the later part of his life. In his old age, he was often seen wearing Chinese suits instead of Western ones at public functions.

Only Malaysia has maintained its Chinese schools. Chinese schools are so popular in Malaysia that even many ethnic Malays and Indians sent their children there to study.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived