Are you tired of waiting for the next shoe to drop ?

22 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

For me it seems Thailand is enforcing some existing laws.

And they think about how to handle all those old people who can't or won't pay their hospital bills.

I understand that this makes some people unhappy and probably some people will have to leave Thailand.

But on the other hand I understand that Thailand does not want that some people are a burden to the country. And that's what they are if they don't pay their hospital bills.

and what about the burden of Thais in the UK and probably other countries?

A question for those who have taken their Thai brides to their home country to live with them, are you paying

anything towards their medical or hospital costs? If so, I bet it isn't near as much as insurance or medical

costs in Thailand.

I stand corrected if I'm wrong.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know how much it is and it does not really matter.

What matters is the published cases and the perception of the people.

It's like in some western countries where lots of people complain about all those expensive migrants. As far as I know in many countries these migrants bring in total more money than they cost. But still there is a lot of sentiment against them because they are so expensive.

Same same, not much different.

You are obviously not from the UK.

Just now, possum1931 said:

You are obviously not from the UK.

I would be happy to pay a fair rate for medical insurance for only government hospitals if they would accept that I expect to be treated for any medical treatment right up till I die here in Thailand even if I live to be a hundred.

But the capitalist insurance companies would not want that.

19 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Heck in the USA where I am from, they wont even treat you at 95% of the hospitals unless you have insurance, and the ones that will, you are likely to bleed out in a waiting room

And unfortunately, Thailand seems to be copying the US medical system, rather than the European one ????

Some people are not happy unless they are worried about something, all the carping and complaining about Thailand. Yes, there are things I do not like that goes on but I do not spend my day wondering when the next shoe will drop. 

And they think about how to handle all those old people who can't or won't pay their hospital bills.

I understand that this makes some people unhappy and probably some people will have to leave Thailand.

But on the other hand I understand that Thailand does not want that some people are a burden to the country. And that's what they are if they don't pay their hospital bills.

Okay. Now explain away TM30, 90-day reporting, inconsistency with visa rules from one office or country to the next.

It's like in some western countries where lots of people complain about all those expensive migrants. As far as I know in many countries these migrants bring in total more money than they cost. But still there is a lot of sentiment against them because they are so expensive.

Sentiment, but not laws that discriminate against them. Quite the opposite, as some people are convinced they are given too much assistance by government.

22 hours ago, Thailand said:

It is certainly frustrating with something potentially new on a regular basis to <deleted> up what was a pleasant situation for many years. Most of this seems to be in the the wake of BJ and his ilk.

What's it got to do with Boris or his 'ilk'

It's affecting falangs from every country on the globe not just the UK.

Yes ... but... I had a heart attack here in Chiang Mai, Dec. 2015. Keep in mind I had 5 by-passes in the US in 2005 so at age 72 there is no way for this retired professor (only stated so I cannot be assumed to be anything than what I am as a retiree) to afford the required medical insurance, and then pre-existing conditions excluded. Oh, I have a policy that paid $5000 of the $11,000 USD total and I paid the rest (ouch!) from personal funds. I agree, quite unfair to burden Thai citizens with the bill but let us deal with facts. That being, I am unable to meet these new requirements and so may be faced to leave Thailand and my family of 2 1/2 years. Reasonable? I think not but ... up to you Thailand. I'm thinking another country will welcome my retirement spending.

19 hours ago, andy72 said:

Well im not wrong I said no agent can afford to leave 400/800k in a bank account 
hes not leaving it in hes bunging an IO according to you
the 400k law was aimed at the agents more than the individual IMO 
that there is still that corruption in the IO office just counters what the law is meant to be doing

What corruption in the IO office? People of certain ranks have the legal authority to do certain things.

Think about it.

9 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I've become fatalistic about the fact that one day in the not too distant future I'll have to leave my wife and stepdaughter here and move to another nearby country. I'm hanging on for as long as finance and visa rules allow.

Agree, same boat. First, fall back position, TIT so find the way to circumvent this. The last resort would be showing the Royal This government my hind quarters.

26 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't know about other offices, but apparently Chiang Mai Immigration has improved considerably w.r.to wait times and efficiency.

You saw the message we received in Chiang Mai saying that Ching Mai Immigration was requiring medical insurance fro Non IMM O-A Extnsion of Stay as well as new O-A? You have read were Chiang Mai immigration has stated we are required to report within 24 hours when returning home after being gone overnight from the province (while other offices are using good sense)? OK, wait time and efficiency is improved but ...

20 hours ago, Skallywag said:

The money requirement has not changed regarding Visa extensions.

Not true. They doubled it just a few years ago, in one jump. Add to that, many long-termers came to Thailand when their currency was worth double what it is now, so it's no wonder some, many, might be struggling. Who would have budgeted for the value of their currency halving and government financial demands doubling! No-one, no-one at all.

24 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Life goes on...

Rent... Do not buy...

My original retirement plan exactly. Then living in Mae Jo, well 1st the motorbike purchase. That was in 2011. If you were here you will remember the rains ... thought metal roof would be a good idea and a friend was downsizing due to divorce. So, added a car, some furniture. then was put onto a good deal for a condo. Then found renting the company was not as having someone to ...Nevermind, you see my drift. Happy, if complicated my plan!

1 minute ago, wwest5829 said:

My original retirement plan exactly. Then living in Mae Jo, well 1st the motorbike purchase. That was in 2011. If you were here you will remember the rains ... thought metal roof would be a good idea and a friend was downsizing due to divorce. So, added a car, some furniture. then was put onto a good deal for a condo. Then found renting the company was not as having someone to ...Nevermind, you see my drift. Happy, if complicated my plan!

can't you go to Laos & get a non O on retirement?  Ditch the OA.  Is that possible?

17 hours ago, swissie said:

But the Thai's fear that the number of "fake-marriages" would increase dramatically.

That might have been the case in the past when Thailand was a cheap country to live in. But it is no longer the draw that it was. Unless you want to lower your standards to a basic Thai level, it is often far cheaper to live in, say, many European countries. Food and drink is of a much higher standard for the price, and there is much greater choice.
My advice to anyone thinking of living in Thailand would be to spend a month in the country and 1 - read the English-language press, 2 - watch Thai tv, day or evening, to guage the mentality of the locals, and 3 - spend some time watching the way Thais drive. If you still want to live in Thailand, good luck.

22 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Sure but the vast majority of expats can cover smaller events already out of pocket.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Exactly. When I had my chest clutcher and helicoil insertion and they handed me a Bill for like 15 large USA, I gave them my Visa Card.

Thats called insurance.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

No sex available though.

Much more choice in that too - in Europe, Romanian. Bulgarian, Czech, German, Spanish. And Thai of course, everywhere. One of the country's most successful exports which provides plenty of foreign funds being Western Unioned back home ????

5 minutes ago, Samuel Smith said:

So same as married life any country ????

I've only tried married life in 2 countries.

UK - once a month. Thailand - every day, then as I got older I've settled on 3x a week.

I suspect sex of being a pretty rare event in UK/Europe/USA/Oz/NZ for us over 60s.

Maybe Sanemax (UK) or Madman (Oz) could tell us how much they're getting back home?

But let's face it, we already know.

Archived