New steps to boost tourism approved

snoop1130

So it takes a full meeting and lengthy discussions of the Council of the Economic Ministers of Thailand to decide three piddling things to improve tourism. These are the economic brains trust of Thailand's and the best they can come up with is:

1. Expand the number of locations where tourists can claim VAT.

2. Provide loans to owners of rundown hotels to lift their status rating from "dump" to "4 star".

3. to introduce safety measures that have been promised repeatedly for umpteen years.

And these people are the stars of the show to lead Thailand forward to economic prosperity. What hope is there?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The number of foreign tourist arrivals in the first half stood at 26.5 million, up 2.83 per cent year on year. TAT expects 13.3 million to arrive in the rest of the year.

TAT should start getting its head out off there asses.

A season for tourist with  hotels, travel agency's and tour operators  goes from November 1 till October 31st.

Incompetent bunch of people.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

New safety rules will be introduced to lessen the risks of accidents or death of foreign tourists.

Rules, laws and decrees, you are increasing the bureaucracy with zero results!
The incompetence and inconsistency of legislative and executive power continues to increase!
Example state lottery, it was decided that tickets cost 80 Baht, smart sellers now have few single tickets selling at 80 Baht, most tickets are sold only in packages of two or more tickets for the price of 100 Baht each !
Congratulations!
Continue to make useless laws, decrees and rules, it probably makes you feel important!

"New safety rules will be introduced to lessen the risks of accidents or death of foreign tourists."

The government should look at regulations, (if there are any) that govern the height of walls that surround balconies.  These are so low that it is very easy for the unwary to fall over to their deaths.  

I want to spend more money in Thailand so why do they treat me like <deleted> when I try to extend my tourist visa? Why does the extension fee even need to be 1900 bath (I like that spelling)? Why do I get fed up and pay an agent during high season? Ting tong. Last high season I went to immigration 3 times starting 2 weeks out and the cop at Jomtien kept telling me to come back later. I finally went the day before my visa expired. The only day it rained and flooded. Miserable.

I am taking a shorter trip this time because I am tired of the hassle and  sh--ty attitude towards me. Changing how they treat people who want to spend money would be helpful.

According to the more recent report of yesterday's presser in a different paper, the TM30 debacle is being addressed with these tourism hypes:

"A measure to make it easier for the 150,000 expatriates in the country to travel nationwide without reporting to the authorities as required by Section 37 of the 1979 Immigration Act, also known as TM30, will also be introduced.

"The rule requires foreigners who receive a long-term visa to report within 24 hours to authorities when they travel to other provinces that are not their residence.

"Expats are also required to report their whereabouts every 90 days to the authorities."

16 hours ago, Skallywag said:

There has never and will never be a decline in tourism according to TAT:thumbsup:

It's the TAT boss who's lying all the time. Several districts reported 30% less reservations, but he said only 2,7%. Some even said 50% less reservations. Thai Airways numbers were down to -6 billion baht the first 2 quarters. They even cancelled several destinations. Go figure. 

The starting point could be to ask what brings tourists to Thailand? And whether their expectations are satisfied.

Then, at least, we have an idea of Thailand's strengths and weaknesses.

But we also need to identify and work through the threats, such as Vietnam or the strong baht. Not to mention the many emerging opportunities sich as a serious effort to create centres offering meditation, yoga and personal development. 

We need quality journalism to cross check those tourist numbers with airline stats and MoT stats.

After seeing to the marketing effort and infrastructure, surely that is more than enough for the government to organise? Offering subsidies to hotels and guest houses can only lead to more dereliction of duties that belong to business owners.

I feel that this report does not reflect what happened in that meeting. I feel sure discussion would have been more intense, deeper and structured. If you watch the PM on Friday evenings, you can see straight away that he is a methodical and organised strategist, as well as a politician. No way, for example, would he overlook tourist motivations and experiences, or issues of pollution and safety, or measures of the impact of FX or Immigration location tracking or indeed the important role of expat residents as informal ambassadors for Thailand..

Tourism is maybe 20% of GDP and this 20% is to a greater extent than for other sectors of the economy, the livelihood of the little people living in the cities many of them.

Rather than scoffing at government activity in support of tourism, we could instead take a greater interest and get the hoteliers and tour operators and Grab and AirBnB people etc etc more actively involved in making and implementing government policies. Help the government. A national effort is required or Thailand once the world's number one destination will sink further and its economy flounder.

Involve the people, not through coercion, but by giving them a role in their futures.

No?

15 minutes ago, elgenon said:

I want to spend more money in Thailand so why do they treat me like <deleted> when I try to extend my tourist visa? Why does the extension fee even need to be 1900 bath (I like that spelling)? Why do I get fed up and pay an agent during high season? Ting tong. Last high season I went to immigration 3 times starting 2 weeks out and the cop at Jomtien kept telling me to come back later. I finally went the day before my visa expired. The only day it rained and flooded. Miserable.

I am taking a shorter trip this time because I am tired of the hassle and  sh--ty attitude towards me. Changing how they treat people who want to spend money would be helpful.

Start with a 60 days tourist visa next time,then with one 30 days extension,you have 90 days. One border crossing,another 30 days, now you have 120 days. Is that a short time for a common "tourist"?What are you complaining about? 

15 hours ago, madmen said:

No mention of actually staffing the empty IO desks in arrivals. That's a good start

In fairness when we left Thailand for an overseas trip last month all the outbound IO desks were full and there were a number of trainees there. Seemed like a positive move.

15 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Thats 2 arrivals for every 3 people living here. Do you really believe that? A complete absence of discussion about polluted air, plastics in the ocean, overcrowded beaches, two tier pricing for entrances, tourist rip-offs and city traffic jams. Tourists do not live in a news restricted world where everything here is just hunky dory like the govt would wish it to be.

Why is that so unbelievable.

18 million tourists arrived in Singapore where that population is only 5 million.

47 minutes ago, Libai said:

"New safety rules will be introduced to lessen the risks of accidents or death of foreign tourists."

The government should look at regulations, (if there are any) that govern the height of walls that surround balconies.  These are so low that it is very easy for the unwary to fall over to their deaths.  

You don't get it

you are probably new in Thailand

every Thai could explain it to you

it's not the balconies wich are low

it's the farangs who are tall, why the farangs are so tall?

The VAT refund idea indicates the type of tourist Thailand is now seeking. Not the beach bums, sightseers, nature lovers and those here for certain other pleasures.

No, lets go for shoppers, those that spend all their day bussed from store to store spending their hard earned yuan.

Thy should take a look at the Japanese system if they really want to improve the VAT refund scheme; all done in-store with the goods available for inspection at outward customs if required.

3 hours ago, jesimps said:

They can try all the gimmicks they want, but in my opinion it comes down mainly to what your normal tourist can afford and with the ridiculously expensive baht, not a lot.

Although the Baht has strengthened, its more due to other currencies weakening, that includes other S.E.countries that have devalued but that isn't the main reason. Thailand now has genuine competition from other countries worldwide that have just as good a food, culture, attractions etc and people are exploring them. On top of so much bad publicity and experience from travelers with the shameful attitude of Thais, violence, over charging, smog etc people are voting with their feet. I know many long termers and repeat visitors for decades that won't set foot back in Thailand because of the way they are now treated.....from the IO at the airport all the way through their stay in hotels, restaurants, taxi drivers..no fun, no customer service....in fact abysmal service with a moody grunt....this is what needs to be addressed if Thailand really wants to be a world destination.

Archived