BANGKOK
alien365

Should I buy a cheap battery?

Hi Guys,

I took my car in for its 100k service last week and was told I need another battery. Apparently it was  at 9.4V. I told them not to change it as I can't believe this will be my 4th battery in 6 years. I used to have an FB but changed it to a larger GS in the hope of it lasting longer. Does anyone know or use a cheaper battery brand? I'm not really interested in more expensive brands as what I've read in older threads is they don't make much difference.

8 minutes ago, alien365 said:

I'm not really interested in more expensive brands

For my money and 15 years in Thailand I've stuck with the inexpensive GS heavy duty batteries in 4 vehicles 5 to 6 years no problem, better the devil ya know in my book of life.

4 minutes ago, William Osborne said:

How does your car/truck start at 9.4 v🤔

That was my thought too. Initially I thought he was lying but he showed me the print out. Maybe because the engine is only 1.2?

2 minutes ago, alien365 said:

That was my thought too. Initially I thought he was lying but he showed me the print out. Maybe because the engine is only 1.2?

Nope. A starter would turn way too slowly to start the engine. Well, possible with a much bigger battery, perhaps. 

BTW, OP you can't just put a much bigger battery in your car if the alternator isn't made for it. ( regulator as well.) Perhaps that's your problem.

Edited by Isaanbiker

1 minute ago, Isaanbiker said:

9.4 volts tells you that one cell died, but only if the alternator/regulator is okay. 

Before you buy another battery, please use a voltmeter and make sure that your battery gets charged. You should get 13.8 volts at your battery terminally 

When the engine is idling you should have 13.8 volts. If there's less than 12 volts, your alternator has a problem. Never trust a Thai mechanic and you've already learned a lot. 

I always go to the Honda dealer which I'd have hoped wouldn't rip me off. I don't have a voltmeter but I'm happy to buy one. If I'm getting above 12v at the battery, does that mean the dead cell would be fixable?

3 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

BTW, OP you can't just put a much bigger battery in your car if the alternator isn't made for it. ( regulator as well.) Perhaps that's your problem.

My current GS battery is only slightly bigger. There's not much room under the hood for anything else. We asked the guy in cockpit about it and he said it would be fine but similar to your point, a battery any bigger wouldn't charge well.

11 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

For my money and 15 years in Thailand I've stuck with the inexpensive GS heavy duty batteries in 4 vehicles 5 to 6 years no problem, better the devil ya know in my book of life.

I can only dream of 5-6 years. Normally I'd just get another battery but it's starting to feel ridiculous now. I've had 3 batteries in the time that I'd still be on my first in the west.

1 hour ago, alien365 said:

I can only dream of 5-6 years. Normally I'd just get another battery but it's starting to feel ridiculous now. I've had 3 batteries in the time that I'd still be on my first in the west.

Well you asked, I can only tell you what has served me well and GS are not expensive, I say the same of motorcycle batteries Yuasa are good. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well you asked, I can only tell you what has served me well and GS are not expensive, I say the same of motorcycle batteries Yuasa are good. 

I wasn't doubting what you said, I just wish my battery would last the same. I currently have a GS as I heard they were better than FB but it has lasted the same length of time in my car. 

Thanks for the yuasa recommendation. I'll see if there's any around my area and what they're going for.

Yuasa are very highly regarded, and I believe BMW factory fit batteries are by them.

Surely 5 years isn't too much to expect from a battery as long as the car doesn't have some sort of problem. Cold climates are hard on batteries but that is not Thailand !!

The Exide battery on my 3.0 BMW here in the UK is 6 years old and still fine.

When it comes to batteries, small electronic appliances, eyewear, shoes, hookers or condoms, I don't look at the price and only take the most reliable well known brands. For obvious reasons of safety.

Yuasa are very highly regarded, and I believe BMW factory fit batteries are by them.

Surely 5 years isn't too much to expect from a battery as long as the car doesn't have some sort of problem. Cold climates are hard on batteries but that is not Thailand !!

The Exide battery on my 3.0 BMW here in the UK is 6 years old and still fine.

Thats not uncommon with BMW today, its just the Car that flat after 3 years , thats why i leased.The old 3.0 Alpina Coup was the end of a Bullet Proof BM .[emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, alien365 said:

I would suggest the 9.4 V is the voltage that the battery drops to during cranking  however if the battery was not very well charged you could get that reading anyway. 

That is a little on the low side. And an indication to change the battery.  But what was the rates CCR  and the measured CCR? 

I cannot understand how you’re going through so many batteries. I never get less than three years Out of a battery.  In the past there have been plenty of discussions on battery life and how to extend it. Maybe it’s time for another  especially as the weekend is here!!!!

Posted previous are the voltages you expect  for certain conditions. Buy yourself a cheap volt meter and check for yourself. 

If you have the print out post it here,  if not ask for one. I keep all mine from service.

Edited by JAS21