Question regarding purchase of used car from banks

scorpiotkh

Hello,

I like to seek advice about purchasing a used car via a bank loan.

My Thai girlfriend and I would like to purchase the above...however since I am a foreigner, we would like to purchase a car in her name using a bank loan (K auto finance used car).

However, she does not possess a driving licence while I do...and I will be the one doing the driving.

Can I check will the bank allow her to take the loan?

Thank you.

scorpiotkh

I would think that the bank will require the car to be registered in her name if they are loaning the money to her. I doubt they care who drives it and will not ask to see her driving licence either. They will want to put their bank stamp in the reg book though.

We just bought a new Fortuner in my wife's name and she has no licence. They knew that and didn't care about it. First class insurance usually allows anyone to drive, but you must check.

12 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

I would think that the bank will require the car to be registered in her name if they are loaning the money to her. I doubt they care who drives it and will not ask to see her driving licence either. They will want to put their bank stamp in the reg book though.

Plus the bank keeps the book until the ride is paid for...

Nothing to do with your question; but, probably the best advice you are going to get reference this post.  DO NOT buy a used car in Thailand without driving it first.  If you have a mechanic I advise taking it to him to have it checked out before signing anything.

Purchased a car in my wife's name in 2013. She did not have a DL. They (Kasikorn Leasing) did not have any problems with the loan. I did this using a loan as to establish a credit history for her. Now, loan paid off, she finally got her DL, and Kasikorn Leasing keeps calling asking if we want another loan.????  

I bought a car under Yingluck's First Car vote buying scheme several years ago in my wife's name.  It was financed with no problem even though she did not have a license or a job at that time.  The bank knew I was the one who would be paying for it and driving it.  Although I have purchased automobiles in the past in my name and paid cash, I have now made the decision that I do not want anything in my name other than the bank account required for my visa.  Given the current political climate regarding foreign men, even those with Thai families, I feel that is the wisest choice.  My wife now has license and her own car.  My daughter will graduate from university in March, and my son is in high school.  My goal is to just hand on for a few more years.  That said, I would advise caution when buying a car in a girlfriend's name.  How confident are you that the relationship will last? 

45 minutes ago, kensisaket said:

Nothing to do with your question; but, probably the best advice you are going to get reference this post.  DO NOT buy a used car in Thailand without driving it first.  If you have a mechanic I advise taking it to him to have it checked out before signing anything.

Good advice. Maintenance of vehicles by Asians in general is hit and miss. They work on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle.

Good advice. Maintenance of vehicles by Asians in general is hit and miss. They work on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle.

More a Class Thing,Many just take them for Service when the Dealer reminder calls just as most Ferangs do. Clonker Cheap Charlie’s are world wide, not just here.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived