BANGKOK
bbi1

Thai marrying in Thailand when they didn't divorce overseas from overseas marriage?

I would recommend asking legal advice, especially if there are substantial assets involved.

• Thanks 1

As far as I know, marriages from most countries are recognised in Thailand regardless of whether it was registered here or not.

• Like 2

The marriage is a marriage.

But to get a divorce from a South American country is very difficult.

I have had 2 Thai Marriages........ I am a US citizen......... By Thai law, a marriage in either country,  if public record, is recognised by the other country (Thailand or USA)..... 

If you go to a Buddhist Temple to marry but do not record it with the local Thai Umphur (Government offices)---- Then it is not a 'completely legal' marriage and is not observed by the other country........ 

Many Thais and some Farang/Thai marriages are done in a temple and money given to the family, But if they are not registered with the Thai Government at an Umphur..... THEN the Marriage is not recognised by the other countries..... IT MUST BE A LEGALLY RECORDED MARRIAGE TO BE OF RECOGNITION BY OTHER COUNTRIES.......

EDITED to add..... Check to see what the 'South American country' and Thai laws are and whether recorded marriages or just 'Un-recorded'........

Edited by sawadeeken
add a line

3 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

You can't ignore the LEGAL existing marriage !

Marrying without that being annulled or a divorce would be bigamy and is against Thai law.

What's the difference between getting it annulled? Is there usually a set period of time for this?

Does anyone know how it's possible to get a divorce done in thailand for a marriage from overseas? From what I've heard it's nearly Impossible. Have to  back to the country where the marriage took place.

Edited by bbi1

All you can do is find the rules applicable to that South American country.

If the "Thai person" is still in touch with their spouse, ask them !

• Confused 1

Perhaps the  issue is that the  SA  marriage was  not  notified  to  Thai Embassy/Consulate  in SA?

Therefore  to Thailand never  happened?

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

I have had 2 Thai Marriages........ I am a US citizen......... By Thai law, a marriage in either country,  if public record, is recognised by the other country (Thailand or USA)..... 

If you go to a Buddhist Temple to marry but do not record it with the local Thai Umphur (Government offices)---- Then it is not a 'completely legal' marriage and is not observed by the other country........ 

Many Thais and some Farang/Thai marriages are done in a temple and money given to the family, But if they are not registered with the Thai Government at an Umphur..... THEN the Marriage is not recognised by the other countries..... IT MUST BE A LEGALLY RECORDED MARRIAGE TO BE OF RECOGNITION BY OTHER COUNTRIES.......

EDITED to add..... Check to see what the 'South American country' and Thai laws are and whether recorded marriages or just 'Un-recorded'........

The  localized  "string "  marriage is  not a  binding  contract under Thai law as I  understand. It is  simply a community/family recognized  concensus of  approval of a  defacto relationship to  avert  condemnation (at a cost} unless it is  registered with  local Amphur. Yet even that  does  not  fulfill the  National legislation  for  marriage so  it  cannot be  recognized  by the Government of a  foreign  nation if  it  involves a  foreigner and at best  dubious for any dispute in Thailand even for Thai  citizens.

Formal marriage either  inside or outside Thailand need  be registered with appropriate Embassy of  foreign  partner for any legal recourse to whatever may ensue. AFAIK

Edited by Dumbastheycome

A marriage as long as legally recognised in the country of enactment does not need to be registered with any embassy or notified to other countries.  It is legally recognised anyway.  If marrying, knowing you're already married, regardless of whether you have registered your previous marriage anywhere but the country you were married in, then you are committing bigamy.  Can sometimes take years to come to light, often from a 'whistleblower'.

2 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

All you can do is find the rules applicable to that South American country.

If the "Thai person" is still in touch with their spouse, ask them !

So you think that bigamy may be acceptable in Thailand, yes?  Geez...