Where to donate televisions?

elektrified

Does anyone have any ideas of perhaps an old folks home, I guess even an orphanage, etc. where I may be able to donate a couple of televisions? They are the older CRT type (actually one is some kind of hybrid) but they work fine. I've advertised on a few places and my wife has too - offering them from close to nothing - to nothing, but only got a few smart ass remarks from millennials. I hate to throw them out. The only thing is that they would have to be picked up.

Thanks in advance.

7 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

If you live in a house, just put them outside the front gate.

Are you crazy?I would be hamstrung if I got caught removing useless pieces of rubbish from the premises.I would have to dismantle and cut into small pieces and smuggle into the bin.They also have people that actually go around and buy recyclable stuff.

4 hours ago, neeray said:

A CRT may not be an LED but it is better than nothing !

Probably not when you consider the cost to operate them and that most will not be able to do the basic TV job of over the air reception (which is now digital).  I recall our first TV - a World War II radar that Raytheon rebranded as a 12 1/2 inch round TV is the 40's.  That was 70 years ago - time for a change.

image.jpeg.fb22721560fc46cb996e64eec726756e.jpeg

Anything we don't want and are prepared to let go for free is happily taken by our maid. 

We had a damaged flat screen which worked, but had 5 x 2" white spots on the image - the Maid was ok with this (I guess she's either selling them on and making a little extra or is getting fixed and selling it etc), she works extremely hard, is extremely reliable, we're happy that she can offload the stuff we don't want and if she is making any profit in the process, good for her. 

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Probably not when you consider the cost to operate them and that most will not be able to do the basic TV job of over the air reception (which is now digital).  I recall our first TV - a World War II radar that Raytheon rebranded as a 12 1/2 inch round TV is the 40's.  That was 70 years ago - time for a change.

image.jpeg.fb22721560fc46cb996e64eec726756e.jpeg

What a beauty.  :thumbsup:

21 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

What a beauty.  :thumbsup:

Just a Google photo but exactly same model we had - neighbor was senior engineer at plant producing them and got at discount or we would never have had TV so early.  Behind the center cover were all kinds of adjustments (any tube change required a lot of time and patience to get the test pattern right (there really was a reason for text patterns).  

image.jpeg.4f7028b78abe1a9f078ce22cb9567c94.jpeg

image.jpeg

14 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Put it on the side of the street. If you are fancy then add a cardboard with ฟรี written on it. Problem solved. 

Yeah! put a sticker on it

-  saying '"Half Price!" 

Of??   No need...       

you don't need to put an a actual price though, as the sign in itself is the prompt of it being worth something; to see it as a good steal...   

problem solved  

one thing about donating an elder CRT Tv to a worthy cause:

- make sure it comes with a Digital Set Top Box, at the very least...

2 minutes ago, papa al said:

y ?

just got back to the uk, bought a house with contents, 2 14" crt tv's on ebay , both went for 90-100 GBP on auction, I kid you not, havn't put the 3rd one on yet, dunno if its retro gaming related, but when I left Thailand, just gave all mine away. keep in case something like that in LOS ?

8 minutes ago, jastheace said:

just got back to the uk, bought a house with contents, 2 14" crt tv's on ebay , both went for 90-100 GBP on auction, I kid you not, havn't put the 3rd one on yet, dunno if its retro gaming related, but when I left Thailand, just gave all mine away. keep in case something like that in LOS ?

could be as they had the Channel 0/1/36 etc RF IN, for the really really retro game consoles

my old Z80 computer used that, and recently eBayed it for AU450. The fella was grateful I thru one of my Sony14"ers in with it

don;t forget all those elder VCRs commonly had well used RF Outs too - because that was all the likewise elder CRTs needed...

On 10/12/2019 at 11:06 AM, Bill97 said:

Working TVs are not trash. That is the point.

You want to give better, do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Exactly. We are not putting them on the soi. If it rains they will be ruined. Furthermore, I am not about to attempt carrying them downstairs. They are Sony and Samsung and both work fine. I will give Freebird Cafe a call and see if they have someone to pick them up.

We actually bought a second hand one a few years back for the village school. 

My suggestion is village schools or the like which done have one. 

I could enquire for you and maybe take it off your hands and deliver to my wife's village if they are interested.

Archived