Using Thai bank card in Cambodia/Vietnam

Hi,

I am interested to find out whether or not you can use a Thai bank card in an ATM in either Cambodia or Vietnam. Has anyone done so? Also, what are the charges levied for doing so? Just doing some research for my plan B.

Thanks.

i don't see why not.

it is not about your Thai bank but about whether your card supports visa or mastercard.

if the atm supports the same service you should be fine.

i used my Thai bank card in Vietnam but it was a long time ago.

Certainly in Cambodia you can. It will be the same international system.

also you need to watch out for bank charges from either the atm or your Thai bank or maybe both.

Yes you can use Thai Bank Debit cards in both countries. In Cambodia, VISA and MASTERCARD ATM's are abundant in the resorts. Union Pay (Chinese) is listed but being a regular visitor I, personally, have experienced problems with UP (which I have now ditched in favor of a Bangkok Bank Mastercard). No problems with Visa and Mastercard in Vietnam. In Cambodia the general transaction fee is US$4 also younhave the choice of US$ or Cambodian Riels.

I've been using my Kasikorn Bank Visa debit card in Cambodia and Vietnam. Never a problem, but it might not always be the cheapest option.

ATM limits in Vietnam are very low, so I don't use ATMs there often. ATMs in Cambodia are great in comparison, you can draw USD and the limits are decent. If you use ABA, they now even show you your remaining balance in Baht after the withdrawal. Otherwise I just check with Kasikorn Bank's app on my phone.

Kasikorn Bank charges a 100 Baht flat fee for any ATM withdrawal abroad. The foreign bank operating the ATM usually also charges a fee that is displayed and needs to be confirmed before the transaction goes through. Typically about $5 in Cambodia.

12 hours ago, SteveK said:

use a Thai bank card in an ATM in either Cambodia or Vietnam.

I did it in Vietnam last weekend.

Bangkok Bank VISA debit card, in a BIDV Atm, withdrawel limit was 2M dong and cost 60kvnd +6% at the VIet end, and 100bht at the Thai end.

Which worked out at 694kvnd/1000bht, best I ever managed changing notes was 704kvnd/1000bht, so not much difference.

2M dong in cash debited 2,879bht from my Thai bank account.

30 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I did it in Vietnam last weekend.

Bangkok Bank VISA debit card, in a BIDV Atm, withdrawel limit was 2M dong and cost 60kvnd +6% at the VIet end, and 100bht at the Thai end.

Which worked out at 694kvnd/1000bht, best I ever managed changing notes was 704kvnd/1000bht, so not much difference.

2M dong in cash debited 2,879bht from my Thai bank account.

Correction 60k fee + 6k vat. 

17 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

So is there another way to withdraw cash? I read opening a Vietnamese bank account can be difficult, especially without a 12 month visa?

That's true, unfortunately. I opened a bank account there just before that new regulation came in. I tend to use TransferWise to send money to Vietnam, then I can use my local ATM card (Napas) to withdraw money free of charge at ATMs as needed.

Before I had that bank account, I often just carried cash. VND is easily obtained at SuperRich in Bangkok, but bulky to carry around. Clean $100 bills are best, all things considered.

On 10/12/2019 at 10:52 AM, Caldera said:

raw

On 10/12/2019 at 9:53 PM, Caldera said:

That's true, unfortunately. I opened a bank account there just before that new regulation came in. I tend to use TransferWise to send money to Vietnam, then I can use my local ATM card (Napas) to withdraw money free of charge at ATMs as needed.

Before I had that bank account, I often just carried cash. VND is easily obtained at SuperRich in Bangkok, but bulky to carry around. Clean $100 bills are best, all things considered.

What about carryying about 3000 THB in Vietnamese currency, and 2000 $US, 

any possible chance to open a bank account in $US there? or just change $100 in local changer there each time needed, maybe is a better option to avoid the hassel of limited ATM machines and chanrged fees etc,,

Any good rate money changer there? same as superrich in Bankok?

Thanks

Rearding multiple tourist visa in Vietnam, valid for 3 months, 

should go out and in the country each month, or can stay the whole 3 months duration without needing to out and in?

Anyone have an idea about this? please advise!

Thanks

2 hours ago, lexlam said:

any possible chance to open a bank account in $US there? or just change $100 in local changer there each time needed, maybe is a better option to avoid the hassel of limited ATM machines and chanrged fees etc,,

Thanks

Many goldshops all over the country offer excellent rates for USD, but rarely accept Baht, and if they do the rate is lousy. Found a money changer in Saigon that had a great rate for the Baht. 

should go out and in the country each month, or can stay the whole 3 months duration without needing to out and in?

Thanks

You can stay 3 months without leaving. 

Thanks

You can stay the entire time, there's no need to leave each month. When you first arrive on a multiple entry tourist visa, you will be stamped in until the visa expires. You can - but don't need to - leave and come back as often as you'd like within that time.

If you know beforehand that you want to stay for the entire duration, you can apply for a single entry visa instead.

Thanks

I don't think you will be able to open a new bank account (USD or VND shouldn't matter) on anything less than a one year visa nowadays, but you could try.

Carrying USD cash is a good idea, $100 notes are easily changed - make sure they are in pristine condition. Gold shops have somewhat better rates than banks.

You can use the cards in both Vietnam and Cambodia but in doing so you accept the banks exchange rate and processing charges, if you have Thai baht, which is good value at present, better to go a money changer in Thailand and buy USD and the exchange rate can be negotiated in Vn and Cambodia and there are no bank charges.

3 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

You can use the cards in both Vietnam and Cambodia but in doing so you accept the banks exchange rate and processing charges, if you have Thai baht, which is good value at present, better to go a money changer and buy USD and the exchange rate can be negotiated in Vn and Cambodia and there are no bank charges.

Changing THB to USD and then to VND with cash is unlikely to be better than the rate you get at an ATM (incl fees) plus more hassle and risk.

I don't really understand why anyone is worrying about this. ATM machines are all over the place. They're reliable and if you need to withdraw larger amounts go to one of the ATM's from several banks mentioned in earlier posts.

6 hours ago, lexlam said:

Thanks

Why would you buy a ME if you intend to stay there for the entire 3 months?

That would waste $25. (Stamp on ME $50, stamp on SE $25)

7 hours ago, thedemon said:

Changing THB to USD and then to VND with cash is unlikely to be better than the rate you get at an ATM (incl fees) plus more hassle and risk.

I don't really understand why anyone is worrying about this. ATM machines are all over the place. They're reliable and if you need to withdraw larger amounts go to one of the ATM's from several banks mentioned in earlier posts.

I beg to differ :While there are plenty of reliable ATM machines, using a Thai debit card in Vietnam is very costly, amounting to a  fee of 7% of withdrawn sum, taking the XE midrate as a base. The double transaction of Baht to $, and $ to dong will be at most 1 or 2% loss.That, at least, is my experience, using Krungthai debit card. 

On 10/20/2019 at 3:35 PM, Caldera said:

You can stay the entire time, there's no need to leave each month. When you first arrive on a multiple entry tourist visa, you will be stamped in until the visa expires. You can - but don't need to - leave and come back as often as you'd like within that time.

If you know beforehand that you want to stay for the entire duration, you can apply for a single entry visa instead.

The vietnamese embassy here told me a single tourist visa valie for 1 month, and pay 2300 THB, and a multi entries for 3 months 4600TH, regarding biz visa they need some documents from company or letter from immigration or something like that, so the best easy option is to obtain a multi valid for 3 months, then look around if any opportunities to settle there,

initially, I am thinking to rent a room in a quiet and cheap area, with good internet connection, so for the first month, then see later on, 

Archived