Jump to content
BANGKOK
Crossy

Dual WAN router that works - at a sensible price?

Recommended Posts

I have an Asus RT-88U running the Merlin firmware (V384.13) as my main router.

 

Generally it works pretty well, apart from the dual-WAN function. Whilst it does (eventually) fail-over to the backup connection (an AiS 4G Home WiFi box) it takes a l-o-n-g time during which there is no internet, when failing-back to the main connection it takes a similarly long time (surely that should be instantaneous, both connections are up). It also has the quirk that it shows the working connection as disconnected (backup is correctly shown as hot-standby).

 

Lots of investigation on the various related fora suggests that this is a well known issue and that Asus / Merlin don't seem particularly interested in sorting it.

 

So I'm in the market for a "proper" dual-WAN router, of course I'm not in the market for actually shelling much of my hard-earned wonga. Obviously the beast has to be readily available in Thailand.

 

Thus far I've identified two potential candidates that won't break the bank:- 

 

TP-LINK SafeStream Gigabit Dual-WAN VPN Router (TL-ER6120) at 11,900 Baht 

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/enterprise-networking/tp-link/safestream-gigabit-dual-wan-vpn-router-tl-er6120-p033756/

https://www.tp-link.com/th/business-networking/vpn-router/tl-er6120/

 

TP-LINK SafeStream Gigabit Dual-WAN VPN Router (TL-ER6020) at 5,900 Baht 

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/enterprise-networking/tp-link/safestream-gigabit-dual-wan-vpn-router-tl-er6020-p033757/ 

https://www.tp-link.com/th/business-networking/vpn-router/tl-er6020/

 

ZyXEL also have a couple of potential candidates, but they are rather more expensive than I can really justify.

 

I don't need WiFi or buckets of LAN ports, that's already taken care of by the existing network kit.

 

Thoughts, recommendations, ideas?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

If you are a geek you can check if your router support OpenWRT/LEDE firmware.

 

Thanks. I'm hardly a geek but I'm not averse to a spot of flashing :whistling: 

 

Sadly it seems neither of my Asus routers is supported by OpenWrt 😞

 

My RT-AC66 is supported by Tomato which also has dual-WAN capability, but there seem to be issues there too (possibly Asus hardware related) and the Tomato MultiWAN is apparently still buggy anyway.

 

It's all good fun 🙂

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a linksys wrt3200acm model sitting ducks if you're interested (for sale). It works with Openwrt/LEDE and has a powerful cpu / ram and supports dual Wan. It's similar to your AC88U in terms of power and wifi capabilities.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, muratremix said:

I have a linksys wrt3200acm model sitting ducks if you're interested (for sale). It works with Openwrt/LEDE and has a powerful cpu / ram and supports dual Wan. It's similar to your AC88U in terms of power and wifi capabilities.

 

What sort of numbers are we looking at $$$?

 

PM me if you wish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it looks like DD-WRT supports the RT-AC88U and it also now does dual-WAN so maybe, just maybe, I won't actually have to spend any dosh.

 

But it certainly looks like I will have to dust off my Linux skills (such as they were), there was I hoping for a nice simple GUI setup.

 

And of course I have to make all this happen without screwing the internet connection for our guests (and Madam).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Well, it looks like DD-WRT supports the RT-AC88U and it also now does dual-WAN so maybe, just maybe, I won't actually have to spend any dosh.

 

But it certainly looks like I will have to dust off my Linux skills (such as they were), there was I hoping for a nice simple GUI setup.

 

And of course I have to make all this happen without screwing the internet connection for our guests (and Madam).

 

I have a lot of experience with Linux and building my own custom router firmware from source. You will definitely screw the internet connection a couple time 🤪. Better setup a temporary hotspot from your phone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cisco also makes the RV320 dual wan router which I think has few LAN ports and will be a few thousand baht cheaper than RV325 mentioned earlier post.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter-X should be under 2,000B and can be set up for dual WAN.  
 

But, the expectation of instantaneous failover might be tough to satisfy. You can load balance the two uplinks, but any specific connection is going to take time to detect a failure and switch to the alternate. This is going to be device-independent. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tjo o tjim said:

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter-X should be under 2,000B and can be set up for dual WAN.

 

Another that looks interesting, readily availalble here?

 

I'm not expecting failover to be "instant", it's always going to take time to switch. I would have thought failback would be faster with (almost) no interruption in service.

 

Meanwhile DD-WRT is giving me a headache.

 

EDIT Edgerouter X is 2,850 Baht from Invade. https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wired-networking/ubiquiti/er-x-edgerouter-x-p034757/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Crossy said:

 

Another that looks interesting, readily availalble here?

 

I'm not expecting failover to be "instant", it's always going to take time to switch. I would have thought failback would be faster with (almost) no interruption in service.

 

Meanwhile DD-WRT is giving me a headache.

 

EDIT Edgerouter X is 2,850 Baht from Invade. https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wired-networking/ubiquiti/er-x-edgerouter-x-p034757/

 

It would be instant if there is a way to bound 2 Ethernet interface together.  Did in the past on a server. Could be done with OpenWRT and proper hardware. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation

 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't investigated your problem but I would have thought that you should be able to get instant switchover with a high speed switch.
When I used to work in microwave com (in the old analogue days) you would have 3 communication bearers, one with telephony traffic, one with TV traffic and a protection bearer. If either of the main bearers failed they switched to the protection bearer without dropping out telephony traffic or picture sync.
I know I'm simplifying it, but 2 LAN port outputs thru a high speed switch.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...