BANGKOK
Crossy

Dual WAN router that works - at a sensible price?

Wow, 2,850 for an ER-X!  They are $45-50USD in the US, we have dozens around for testing their (slightly) more expensive equipment. 

The failover takes a few seconds to happen because it is typically ping-based at a 1-second interval, and it takes two failed pings to disable the interface, which puts you at a minimum of 3s. With load balancing instead of just failover you end up with some connections remaining active and some taking time to fail over, although many will push new connections to the proven route. 

Another option is a MicroTic RouterBoard. Don’t use them myself, but it is similar to the Ubiquity equipment. 

On 10/12/2019 at 8:56 AM, johng said:

I would definitely second the pfSense suggestion.

If you have any kind of server or permanently on PC then you can run pfSense as a virtual machine. The only additional hardware you may require is another LAN card for the WAN ports.

I have been running pfSense on HyperV as my main router and another 5 instances with permanent VPN connections. They consume very little resources and have had 100% uptime for several years now. I haven't tried Dual Wan but I am sure pfSense could handle that easily.

Draytek is solid, but might be OTT. Not sure on pricing here, but should come in under 10K THB.

Synology a dream to use, but again not sure of Thai pricing.

Peplink probably crazy money here in LoS.

33 minutes ago, RedCardinal said:

Draytek is solid, but might be OTT. Not sure on pricing here, but should come in under 10K THB.

The best router I had was Turris Omnia. Probably around 20K in Thailand. 

I am no expert, nor am I a PC thickie, but can someone explain to me what all this thread means. What will it let me do that I cannot do on the router I got free from 3BB?

7 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I am no expert, nor am I a PC thickie, but can someone explain to me what all this thread means. What will it let me do that I cannot do on the router I got free from 3BB?

A dual WAN router is a router with 2 internet connections so you have redundancy if one goes off.

Often people will have the wired in internet and a cellular sim as a back-up, all in the same router.

You would probably only consider a dual WAN router if your internet has a history of outages and you need to stay connected, running a server, stock trading etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

A dual WAN router is a router with 2 internet connections so you have redundancy if one goes off.

Often people will have the wired in internet and a cellular sim as a back-up, all in the same router.

Beat me to it 🙂

That's exactly the situation we have, need to keep a functional internet connection at all times for business purposes.

• Like 1

For business purposes, Speedify can also help. Their SaaS can provide you 0 down time connectivity assuming you have 2 or more connections (3g, 4g, wifi, lan etc)

Just a couple of novice questions please.
Are most dual input systems failover from sensing a 'ping'?
Can you not reprogram the 'ping' to be less than 1s and failover after 1 failed 'ping'?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Meanwhile I "think" I have it working with DD-WRT on a spare router. It's currently inserted between the two gateways and the WAN port of my existing router. It does mean I have a double-double NAT but it's working OK (and is easy to remove when it doesn't).

I'll leave it like that for a while and if it seems reliable I can move the configuration to my main router.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 2:37 PM, RedCardinal said:

synology rt2600ac costs 6,990 baht on lazada. Same price of Amazon + shipping and tax but with 2 years of warranty.

9 hours ago, Crossy said:

Meanwhile I "think" I have it working with DD-WRT on a spare router. It's currently inserted between the two gateways and the WAN port of my existing router. It does mean I have a double-double NAT but it's working OK (and is easy to remove when it doesn't).

I'll leave it like that for a while and if it seems reliable I can move the configuration to my main router.

Maybe the router has bridge mode. This would disable the double NAT.

Edited by Tayaout

Amazon.com has some options.

Snag_63fe92.png.179befc0de72c4b4243cc65d4d67c123.png

Snag_64532a.png.32d5a589d63010047a627d0587eefd6e.png

Snag_649e1e.png.a7545fffd75bf9ae5436dabb52db62c8.png

The shipping estimates all seem to be 45 (including customs estimate).  Would take about 8 days to arrive.

Do you really want to spend that time configuring a router?

1 hour ago, 4evermaat said:

Amazon.com has some options.

Do you really want to spend that time configuring a router?

None of those options will prevent you from having to configure the router. 😉

You should be able to get the EdgeRouter 4 locally as well.  They are good little routers; we have a few balancing 500Mb links and providing VPN services for site-site connections and remote access. But, you have a learning curve that takes trusting another online community.