'Alarming upsurge' in measles has devastating impact, WHO warns

rooster59

'Alarming upsurge' in measles has devastating impact, WHO warns

By Kate Kelland

2019-10-11T140842Z_1_LYNXMPEF9A1DF_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-MEASLES-WHO.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A measles poster is seen at Venice Family Clinic in Los Angeles, California February 5, 2015. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Measles is staging a devastating comeback in epidemics across the world as the virus exploits dangerous gaps in vaccination coverage, World Health Organization (WHO) experts said on Friday.

Speaking after a two-day meeting of the Strategic Advisory Group of Experts (SAGE) on Immunization, Kate O'Brien, the WHO's department director, said the world "is facing an alarming upsurge in measles cases in all regions".

"The impact of these outbreaks is really devastating," she said, "causing not only widespread loss of life, but also preventable disability that is affecting family livelihoods and national economies, and straining healthcare systems."

Latest WHO global data show that reported cases of measles - which is one of the world's most contagious diseases - rose by 300 percent globally in the first three months of this year compared to the same period in 2018. This follows consecutive increases over the past two years.

There is no specific antiviral treatment for measles, but it can be prevented with two doses of vaccine. The vast majority of cases of infection are in unvaccinated or under-vaccinated people.

Outbreaks of the disease are causing tens of thousands of infections and thousands of deaths the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Madagascar, the Philippines, Sudan, Thailand and Ukraine, among other countries, the WHO said.

The SAGE experts said such outbreaks were clear indications of critical gaps in vaccination coverage and urged authorities to do more to raise rates of immunisation.

Alejandro Cravioto, the group's chair, told reporters on a teleconference from the WHO's Geneva headquarters that this was "an alarming situation".

He said latest global figures show about 86% coverage with a first measles vaccine dose and less than 70% for a second dose, "which is one of the root causes of the problem".

"The strategy needs to be reinforced," he said. "There is no reason why we cannot try to reach every child to enable them to be fully immunised and protected against this disease."

(Editing by William Maclean)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-10-12

52 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Caused in western countries, IMO, by those that refused to have their children immunised.

The sound you hear is of chickens coming home to roost.

When large numbers of people suddenly adopt a belief it’s worth asking why.

The increase in fear of vaccines in the developed world is directly linked to the discredited claims of (struck off Dr) Andrew Wakefield and other anti-vaccine conspiracy theory peddlers, many closely linked with anti-science propaganda.

Elsewhere in the world the CIA’s use of a Dr within Pakistan’s public vaccination program to help track down Bin Laden has had far reaching negative consequences for trust in vaccination programs.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2015/02/150227-polio-pakistan-vaccination-taliban-osama-bin-laden/

2 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

All the mass exodus of people from foreign countries into Europe and the west in general must also have played a huge part...... 

Sure, that's why in the OP the countries of " the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Madagascar, the Philippines, Sudan, Thailand and Ukraine, " are mentioned.

Care to share your reasons for posting this in the form of a link or statistics, or is it just xenophobia?

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"The impact of these outbreaks is really devastating," she said, "causing not only widespread loss of life, but also preventable disability that is affecting family livelihoods and national economies, and straining healthcare systems."

So why have I never met (or encountered anyone that ever met) somebody whose life was devastated by catching measles? (And I was born before vaccination for it, where we all caught it, and all fully recovered)

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Sure, that's why in the OP the countries of " the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Madagascar, the Philippines, Sudan, Thailand and Ukraine, " are mentioned.

Care to share your reasons for posting this in the form of a link or statistics, or is it just xenophobia?

Take a tablet and chill out, it stands to reason that there is a strong possibility of diseases spreading with the movement of people from underdeveloped countries or can your green head not accept this type of rationalisation .....

6 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

Take a tablet and chill out, it stands to reason that there is a strong possibility of diseases spreading with the movement of people from underdeveloped countries or can your green head not accept this type of rationalisation .....

Your claim was ‘must have played a huge part’.

Back up your claim with data or accept you were dribbling unsubstantiated hogwash.

23 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

All the mass exodus of people from foreign countries into Europe and the west in general must also have played a huge part...... 

You call it a mass exodus but what was their percentage in relation to the populations they were immigrating into? Germany took in about 2 million from the middle east which amounts to 2.5% of the total population.

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

You call it a mass exodus but what was their percentage in relation to the populations they were immigrating into? Germany took in about 2 million from the middle east which amounts to 2.5% of the total population.

Don’t go confusing him, he doesn’t do numbers.

27 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

Just now, Geoffggi said:

You cannot educate pork....!!

Yes, when you have nothing you have to result to insults.

6 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

And exactly how do you support your thinkings...??

With your quotes, which is why they're there.

Still waiting for your links about the connection between measles in Europe and a mass exodus of people.

3 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

If you cannot see that any migrations of people has a great potential for spreading diseases then there is nothing further to say

Sure I think there is a great potential. But that is not the same as " All the mass exodus of people from foreign countries into Europe and the west in general must also have played a huge part......  " , so a link to the connection between measles and mass exodus would be appreciated. And your lack of proof, therefore others doubting your assertions is for sure no reason to resort to insults.

3 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

If you cannot see that any migrations of people has a great potential for spreading diseases then there is nothing further to say

So now your earlier claim “must have played a huge part” has turned into “has a great potential”.

So that’s two sets of data you need to produce to back your claims, or accept your claims are unsubstantiated hogwash.

7 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

except that amount of people migrating is not that huge, plus migrants get screened for diseases, the research clearly shows that is because of people not vaccinating their children in first world countries. For a man who claims rationalisation you don't seem to be able to rationally do a google search to find out.  

And you don't understand why people would have a problem with your type of 'reasoning', or you are just disingenuous 

17 hours ago, stevenl said:

What!! you are asking people to actually have a factual basis for their claims??? (obvious sarcasm for the sarcasm impaired). 

16 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Hmm..so you don't have anything more to say because you can not back up your baseless claim with anything more than your opinion? Ah..got it..It is probably then a good idea for you to have nothing further to say. 

11 minutes ago, jm91 said:

Hmm..so you don't have anything more to say because you can not back up your baseless claim with anything more than your opinion? Ah..got it..It is probably then a good idea for you to have nothing further to say. 

It's hard to prove a problem doesn't exist.

Nobody seems able to link to one case of a person actually damaged by measles, or even recount a personal anecdote.

But everyone can find damaging instances of AIDs/Diabetes/cancer/heart disease.

Measles is a non-event, it's fake news spread by big pharma to boost their profits.

Some Passengers at Philadelphia International Airport Oct. 2 and 3 May Have Been Exposed to Measles, Health Department Says

Pennsylvania health officials warned passengers at Philadelphia International Airport they may have been exposed to measles Oct. 2 and 3.

A person with a suspected case of measles walked through parts of Terminals F and A, and rode on a shuttle bus, on those days.

Measles is highly contagious but is preventable with the measles vaccine. Anyone properly vaccinated is at "minimal" risk, officials said.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/health/Some-Passengers-at-Philadelphia-International-Airport-Oct-2-and-3-May-Have-Been-Exposed-to-Measles-Health-Department-Says-562830341.html

When my child was born in Thailand they kidnapped him and vaccinated him. So Thailand is safe. 

IMG_20190928_185129.jpg

BTW my mother worked with some childrens who became mentally handicapped after receiving a vaccine. This can be scary and I can understand why some educated people would be reluctant to vaccine their children (my mother was). The risk is probably worth it in a statistical sense except for those who lose the lottery. 

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's hard to prove a problem doesn't exist.

Nobody seems able to link to one case of a person actually damaged by measles, or even recount a personal anecdote.

But everyone can find damaging instances of AIDs/Diabetes/cancer/heart disease.

Measles is a non-event, it's fake news spread by big pharma to boost their profits.

An example of the crack pot conspiracy theories doing the rounds and the kind of people who spread them.

On 10/12/2019 at 7:27 AM, rooster59 said:

Outbreaks of the disease are causing tens of thousands of infections and thousands of deaths the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Madagascar, the Philippines, Sudan, Thailand and Ukraine, among other countries, the WHO said.

The most important part from the OP.

I'm slightly suprised that these countries (presumably) don't have easily available vaccination options in place - but only slightly suprised as they are relatively poor countries.

15 minutes ago, rhyddid said:

WHO proves every day as an honest and great organization, just become a mere puppet of Big Pharma.
i read 
thousands of deaths the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Madagascar, the Philippines, Sudan, Thailand and Ukraine

Actually there is not even 1 thousand of death among all those countries in 2019
from a very PRO VAX site, or you may find the same number inside WHO website if you have time to search
https://vaxopedia.org/2019/06/15/how-many-people-have-died-from-measles-in-2019/

Measles are dangerous on delicate specific pathological cases where a strong deficiency on Vitamin A is found.
What many don't say or some paper place the hidden bottom of the articles is that its very difficult to die of Measles, indeed on certain cases measles is the precursor of the decline to death, as influenza is very much more.
Another hidden true is that over 60% of such deaths are from patients who had already an MMR (Measles Vaccination), means that the virus is getting stronger and stronger .
The very similar situation with Antibiotics we abused them now we got superbugs  and we studying stronger antibiotics which in few years will be not good anymore.

Measles natural vaccination has been the safer way of immunization, i did it, my wife did it, our child did it and we are immune to measles. 

When i was a kid, a classmate got it and me and another 2 were sent to play with him, we got measles and after less then 2 weeks we were good as before,.
Now i don't need an MMR, as i got a natural immunization.

The true emergency are 2 Big Pharma need to sell such huge stock and keep the production line ongoing .
Measles has developed and strangely is effecting also on MMR vaccinated.
If there was a real pandemia they would have a single Measles vaccine ready and giving a shot to almost all the globe.

When Healthcare will be back to caring humans health and being careless of corporations profits ?                                 

Perhaps your parents did deliberately expose you to measles, it was a relatively common practice before vaccinations were available, more so for ‘German Measles’ (Rubella).

The problem with comparing the practice of deliberate infection with a disease to vaccination is assessing the relative risks.

Deliberate infection is far from risk free.

21 minutes ago, rhyddid said:

WHO proves every day as an honest and great organization, just become a mere puppet of Big Pharma.
i read 
thousands of deaths the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Madagascar, the Philippines, Sudan, Thailand and Ukraine

Actually there is not even 1 thousand of death among all those countries in 2019
from a very PRO VAX site, or you may find the same number inside WHO website if you have time to search
https://vaxopedia.org/2019/06/15/how-many-people-have-died-from-measles-in-2019/

Measles are dangerous on delicate specific pathological cases where a strong deficiency on Vitamin A is found.
What many don't say or some paper place the hidden bottom of the articles is that its very difficult to die of Measles, indeed on certain cases measles is the precursor of the decline to death, as influenza is very much more.
Another hidden true is that over 60% of such deaths are from patients who had already an MMR (Measles Vaccination), means that the virus is getting stronger and stronger .
The very similar situation with Antibiotics we abused them now we got superbugs  and we studying stronger antibiotics which in few years will be not good anymore.

Measles natural vaccination has been the safer way of immunization, i did it, my wife did it, our child did it and we are immune to measles. 

When i was a kid, a classmate got it and me and another 2 were sent to play with him, we got measles and after less then 2 weeks we were good as before,.
Now i don't need an MMR, as i got a natural immunization.

The true emergency are 2 Big Pharma need to sell such huge stock and keep the production line ongoing .
Measles has developed and strangely is effecting also on MMR vaccinated.
If there was a real pandemia they would have a single Measles vaccine ready and giving a shot to almost all the globe.

When Healthcare will be back to caring humans health and being careless of corporations profits ?                                 

Did you really read the link? Underneath the stats for western countries are other countries, most of them mentioned in the OP, totalling about 3000 deaths of measles this year.

Times have changed, I also got measles as a kid, but that is not the way of the world anymore.

Archived