'Alarming upsurge' in measles has devastating impact, WHO warns

rooster59

On 10/12/2019 at 2:06 PM, stevenl said:

Sure, that's why in the OP the countries of " the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Madagascar, the Philippines, Sudan, Thailand and Ukraine, " are mentioned.

Care to share your reasons for posting this in the form of a link or statistics, or is it just xenophobia?

• The majority of people who got measles were unvaccinated.
  • Measles is still common in many parts of the world.
  • Travelers with measles continue to bring the disease into the U.S.
  • Measles can spread when it reaches a community in the U.S. where groups of people are unvaccinated.

https://www.cdc.gov/measles/cases-outbreaks.html

30 minutes ago, zydeco said:
  • The majority of people who got measles were unvaccinated.
  • Measles is still common in many parts of the world.
  • Travelers with measles continue to bring the disease into the U.S.
  • Measles can spread when it reaches a community in the U.S. where groups of people are unvaccinated.

https://www.cdc.gov/measles/cases-outbreaks.html

So only 1 of your arguments relates to immigration.

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Nobody seems able to link to one case of a person actually damaged by measles, or even recount a personal anecdote

OK, here's a personal anecdote then, as recounted by Roald Dahl, after his daughter Olivia (to whom he dedicated the book, 'The BFG') died from the effects of measles. Prior to this, Dahl's brother-in-law had apparently thought as you seem to, telling Dahl's wife, 'Let the girls get measles, it will be good for them.'

After his daughter's death Dahl was left in his own words, "limp with despair."

Years later in 1986, he wrote the following:

Olivia, my eldest daughter, caught measles when she was seven years old. As the illness took its usual course I can remember reading to her often in bed and not feeling particularly alarmed about it.

Then one morning, when she was well on the road to recovery, I was sitting on her bed showing her how to fashion little animals out of coloured pipe-cleaners, and when it came to her turn to make one herself, I noticed that her fingers and her mind were not working together and she couldn't do anything.

'Are you feeling all right?' I asked her. 'I feel all sleepy,' she said.

In an hour, she was unconscious. In 12 hours she was dead.

The measles had turned into a terrible thing called measles encephalitis and there was nothing the doctors could do to save her. 

That was 24 years ago, in 1962, but even now, if a child with measles happens to develop the same deadly reaction as Olivia did, there would still be nothing the doctors could do to help them.

On the other hand, there is today something that parents can do to make sure this sort of tragedy does not happen to a child of theirs. They can insist that their child is immunised against measles.

There is a vaccination that will keep you from getting measles, and millions

have had this over the years. Why are there still cave dwellers who refuse

to get vaccinated, that is beyond me. They should be thrown in jail after getting their shot until the infectious period, is over.

Geezer

17 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

to get vaccinated, that is beyond me. They should be thrown in jail after getting their shot until the infectious period, is over.

Geezer

18 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Geezer

It's just natural selection in progress

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's hard to prove a problem doesn't exist.

Nobody seems able to link to one case of a person actually damaged by measles, or even recount a personal anecdote.

But everyone can find damaging instances of AIDs/Diabetes/cancer/heart disease.

Measles is a non-event, it's fake news spread by big pharma to boost their profits.

The news reported that 2 babies died because their mother had measles. I have no idea if that was proven or just part of the media uproar. It could be they died from other reasons, and the mothers had measles.

No measles vaccine when I was young. I was put in same bed as a friend with measles so I caught it. I remember nothing about having measles so it can't have been very distressing.

When I got chicken pox though, the Dr misdiagnosed me with smallpox and I was quarantined in hospital, so I remember that, along with The Little Drummer Boy, that played seemingly every 5 minutes on the radio.

4 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Geezer

I don't agree with jail for that- the taxpayer shouldn't have to pay for them.

However, no child should be allowed to attend any school, or go to a movie, or fly on a plane etc unless they can produce evidence of immunisation.

54 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Normal measles doesn't harm people, so it's not selecting anything. I and every child I knew had measles and far as I know it didn't affect us.

How myopic.   It didn't affect you so it doesn't matter?

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't agree with jail for that- the taxpayer shouldn't have to pay for them.

However, no child should be allowed to attend any school, or go to a movie, or fly on a plane etc unless they can produce evidence of immunisation.

Nothing to worry about if you and your child have been immunized? 

5 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

And the children of those parents who haven't had them vaccinated? And infants who haven't yet been immunized?

According to his logic they should not be admitted in the first place. 

Archived