China denounces Thai politicians for show of support to Hong Kong activists

rooster59

China denounces Thai politicians for show of support to Hong Kong activists

By Panu Wongcha-um and Patpicha Tanakasempipat

2019-10-11T064346Z_1_LYNXMPEF9A0FR_RTROPTP_4_THAILAND-CHINA-HONGKONG.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Hong Kong pro-democracy activist Joshua Wong poses during an interview at the Reuters New York office in New York City, U.S., September 14, 2019. REUTERS/JEENAH MOON/File Photo

BANGKOK (Reuters) - The Chinese embassy in Bangkok has condemned Thai politicians for showing support for Hong Kong activists involved in anti-government protests, saying it could harm the relationship between the two countries.

The criticism was echoed by Thailand's army chief, who on Friday spoke of "hidden agendas" in meetings between opposition activists.

The embassy criticism, in a statement on its official Facebook page late on Thursday, came days after Hong Kong pro-democracy activist Joshua Wong posted a picture on social media with prominent Thai opposition politician Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit.

"Some Thai politicians have contacted the group that wants to separate Hong Kong from China, showing gestures of support," the embassy said in a Thai-language statement without naming any individuals.

"This is wrong and irresponsible. China hopes that relevant people will understand the truth about problems in Hong Kong, act carefully and do useful things for the friendship between China and Thailand."

Hong Kong has seen months of protests led by young activists against the city's Beijing-backed government amid fears Beijing is gradually eroding freedoms promised when the city returned to China from British rule in 1997.

China denies that and has accused Western countries of stoking anti-China sentiment in Hong Kong.

Wong and Thanathorn met on Oct. 5 at the Open Future Festival in Hong Kong, attending as speakers at the annual event.

"Under the hard-line authoritarian suppression, we stand in solidarity," Wong wrote in a tweet that showed a picture of him standing next to the Thai politician.

PICTURE CLUE

Thanathorn said he was not involved with the Hong Kong protests. He also said he respected Hong Kong's mini-constitution, known as the Basic Law, and supported freedom of expression.

"I have always supported people's rights to peaceful self-expression. I wish to see the situation in Hong Kong resolve," Thanathorn said in a Facebook post.

Thai army chief General Apirat Kongsompong indirectly criticised Thanathorn's meeting with Wong on Friday during a press briefing in which he accused opposition politicians of inappropriate behaviour.

"Wong came to Thailand countless of times. To meet whom? The meetings had hidden agendas. Were they conspiring, cooking up something together?" Apirat asked.

"And with the incidents in Hong Kong, someone went, to give moral support, to give encouragement," Apirat added, showing the picture of Thanathorn and Wong that was posted on social media, though Thanathorn was blacked out in the image.

Thailand was run by a military junta for five years after then-army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha overthrew an elected government.

Elections in July were won by Prayuth's pro-army party in a vote that opposition parties said was organised to ensure military control of politics.

The Thai Foreign Ministry declined to comment on the Chinese embassy's statement but referred to a statement in September stating that Thailand regarded the situation in Hong Kong as China's internal affairs.

(Additional reporting by Panarat Thepgumpanat; Editing by David Goodman, Robert Birsel)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-10-12

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

The Chinese embassy in Bangkok has condemned Thai politicians for showing support for Hong Kong activists involved in anti-government protests, saying it could harm the relationship between the two countries.

Oh no, does that mean the alleged 'high speed train' might be put at risk?

Not that we're able to tell anyway. when it was going 'full steam ahead' nothing was happening. Nothing happening now - apart from the hot air.

Where is the problem? How about if Thanathorn decides to go meet the Dalai Lama? Just because you are a politician doesn't mean you can't meet people and talk with them on a neutral side. It is done all of the time. Well realistically Thanathorn is yet to be a real seated politician because of their hatred towards him, and in all honestly he is just like Joshua Wong in a sense scrubbing against the wolf in sheep's clothing.

China is really stirring up a lot of anti-china sentiment with their blocking/forcing of NBA, Apple, US airlines. different fashion brands, detaining the 2 Canadians, the Interpol president and now criticize Thailand. What is next Winnie the Pooh?

Even little Prague is being a target:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-09/beijing-takes-aim-at-prague-after-one-china-dispute-deepens

5 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Where is the problem? How about if Thanathorn decides to go meet the Dalai Lama? Just because you are a politician doesn't mean you can't meet people and talk with them on a neutral side. It is done all of the time. Well realistically Thanathorn is yet to be a real seated politician because of their hatred towards him, and in all honestly he is just like Joshua Wong in a sense scrubbing against the wolf in sheep's clothing.

Slightly OT:

China is building a nuclear power station in the UK.

There was a cartoon in a UK newspaper, two women talking. One says to the other: We get our electricity from a Chinese company. If we mention the Dalai Lama, our lights go out.

Throwing mud at somebody who hasn't committed a crime and trying to paint a picture that fits a certain narrative smacks of an incredibly paranoid, unhinged person.

Apirat has shown himself once again to be far from politically neutral (a requirement for Army chief). He clearly doesn't care (or understand) that he is making even more of a martyr out of Thanathorn not only to those who support him now, any future supporters, and anybody who are likely to become more disenfranchised as Thailand slips ever further into totalitarianism.

1 minute ago, stickyrice2000 said:

Is Thailand bowing to China now?  I don't see no wrong with taking picture with Joshua Wong.    

I would guess it is the same feeling for the Junta for Thai people having taken a picture with Thaksin, or like going to that wedding sometime back I think beginning of the year? Do you remember who attended that? I won't mention names.

5 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I would guess it is the same feeling for the Junta for Thai people having taken a picture with Thaksin, or like going to that wedding sometime back I think beginning of the year? Do you remember who attended that? I won't mention names.

Also mentioning no name, but it reminds me that Right Royal (1958-1973) was a French Thoroughbred race horse.

13 minutes ago, stickyrice2000 said:

Is Thailand bowing to China now?  I don't see no wrong with taking picture with Joshua Wong.    

"now" like new, "now" ! Haven't they been bowing for some time now?

11 minutes ago, z42 said:

Throwing mud at somebody who hasn't committed a crime and trying to paint a picture that fits a certain narrative smacks of an incredibly paranoid, unhinged person.

Apirat has shown himself once again to be far from politically neutral (a requirement for Army chief). He clearly doesn't care (or understand) that he is making even more of a martyr out of Thanathorn not only to those who support him now, any future supporters, and anybody who are likely to become more disenfranchised as Thailand slips ever further into totalitarianism.

I  hope for a Ceausescu type  of ending for the govt here, something has to give sometime.          

23 minutes ago, stickyrice2000 said:

Better than the photo of the man on Chinese banknotes who was not only a pedophile but a responsible for tens of millions of deaths of his 'comrades' Like him the CCP are bullies trying to tell people abroad now what to think and do.

Communication a two way street being able to listen to others view of situations, having dialogue is and will always be a way forward, to a mutual understanding,

prior to  a falling out, then having a attitude adjustment rammed down your throat, if your view is not recognised, or accepted, 

The protesters in HK, are against any such article associated in its format of you will do what we tell you, where and when we tell you, for so many to disagree with their rules, 

not so hard to work out that something is missing in interpretation of communication, or lack of will to understand, and bring in the heavy hand.

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"Wong came to Thailand countless of times. To meet whom? The meetings had hidden agendas.

Maybe Wong has discovered the pleasures of Thailand and he was experiencing a non-political hook-up.

Wouldn't that put a damper on the Army Chiefs suggestion !

Evil China, the CCP and Xi (Pooh) is feeling the pressure of losing control.    

All in all I think the world is seeing the real side of China and shifting away from any kind of support.  Hope things go really bad for China, the CCP and Xi in the very near future.  Nothing good coming out of that SH country.

Apirat a trigger happy paranoid creep. a perfect candidate to eventually be in charge of the country. He's been making a lot of public statements since Prayuth was elected, no replies from the PM,  interesting?

I'm sure he would be itching to to take a few of his thugs to Hong Kong to sort it. 

2 hours ago, stickyrice2000 said:

Thailand has been backing into China with its trousers down for years as it wants to become a Nation of similar Human Rights standards !

Archived