UK Fiancée Visa Help

Hello,

My partner and I have applied for a Fiancée visa to enter the UK and marry within 6 months.

on the checklist provided at the end of our application, I see no mention of the A1 English requirement and no option to pay the NHS surcharge.

The checklist clearly requires a TB test certificate, I’m just confused about the A1 and why their is no mention of it.

The visa fee has been paid and appointment at trendy office booked, however through endless trawling through websites it seems some say that the A1 certificate has to be submitted as part of the application.

can anyone advise me if this is the case, and also when and how do I pay the NHS surcharge?

Our appointment is in a couple of weeks and I’m starting to panic.

thanks

The NHS Surcharge and Language requirements only apply for visas which allow holders to remain in the UK for longer than six months, a Fiancée visa only allows the holder to marry and remain in the UK for up to six months.

After you're married, and assuming she wants to then settle in the UK, she will then need to apply for Further Leave to Remain, it's at this stage she'll need to satisfy the language and financial requirements. 

Have you applied for a "MARRIAGE - VISIT "  visa or a "MARRIAGE SETTLEMENT " visa ?

The fact that you talk about the A1 test and TB test indicates that you want settlement.  If so, then you need the A1 test pass before you apply.  The Immigration Health Surcharge must be paid at the Further Leave to Remain application stage (after marriage).

6 hours ago, NickLDN said:

My partner and I have applied for a Fiancée visa to enter the UK and marry within 6 months.

on the checklist provided at the end of our application, I see no mention of the A1 English requirement and no option to pay the NHS surcharge.

The checklist clearly requires a TB test certificate, I’m just confused about the A1 and why their is no mention of it.

The visa fee has been paid and appointment at trendy office booked, however through endless trawling through websites it seems some say that the A1 certificate has to be submitted as part of the application.

can anyone advise me if this is the case, and also when and how do I pay the NHS surcharge?

Are you 100% sure you have applied for the correct visa on the website? A fiancée visa is a settlement visa. Both the TB test and and A1 English test (or better) are required. No NHS surcharge needed as has been mentioned.

I'm wondering if you have applied for a marriage visit visa where a language test is not required by mistake? The same as the TB test I would think.

17 hours ago, rasg said:

Are you 100% sure you have applied for the correct visa on the website? A fiancée visa is a settlement visa. Both the TB test and and A1 English test (or better) are required. No NHS surcharge needed as has been mentioned.

I'm wondering if you have applied for a marriage visit visa where a language test is not required by mistake? The same as the TB test I would think.

Yes, it’s definitely a Fiancée visa,

one of the requirements on the checklist is “proof that you intend to marry within 6 months”

it also clearly states that a TB test certificate is required

Nowhere does it mention an A1 English language certificate which is why I’m a bit confused.

For the record and just to be safe, I’ve booked the earliest available test sitting on 24th October because once we are married and will then look to switch to a spouse visa I know it is 100% needed.

problem is that our appointment at VFU for fiancée visa is 18th October but again, their is no mention of this document on our checklist printout.

You can submit documents up until the applicant gives biometrics at Trendy Building. If the English test certificate (or the test pass number) is not included, then it is likely that the application will be refused.  

There should be a question in the online application form, that says "Are you exempt from the English Language requirement ?". Do you have a copy of the application form ?  Is it there ?

The attached screenshot is taken from a very recent fiancee visa application form

FireShot Capture 015 - Slack - sai - tslthailand - app.slack.com.png

Possibly a glitch in the system. Your girlfriend will need A1. My only suggestion would be to get it and take the number and certificate with you to the appointment.

10 hours ago, NickLDN said:

For the record and just to be safe, I’ve booked the earliest available test sitting on 24th October because once we are married and will then look to switch to a spouse visa I know it is 100% needed.

A fiancée visa is a settlement or spouse visa. After you are married your wife will need to apply for Further Leave to Remain (FLR) in the UK before it expires.

9 minutes ago, NickLDN said:

Sorry, I’ve never uploaded a photo before so they are in a random order but that’s all the info I have regarding the checklist 

At the moment I cannot explain why your checklist, and the English language requirement, is different to the one that I posted.  If it was me, I would probably cancel the application and start again. I'm not advising you to do that, but it doesn't look right to me.  

Could it be due to the fact that I answered that my fiancée doesn’t have a English qualification? 

The application you posted differs in that regard, if you factor in what the old git says at the top of the thread then maybe the A1 is not needed until we decide to extend after we are married ?

9 hours ago, NickLDN said:

Could it be due to the fact that I answered that my fiancée doesn’t have a English qualification? 

The application you posted differs in that regard, if you factor in what the old git says at the top of the thread then maybe the A1 is not needed until we decide to extend after we are married ?

I think you are probably right. You have said no test pass, so "it" hasn't asked you to submit the certificate.  It is your responsibility to be aware of the requirements.  

Regarding your other post, I think it's saying that the test isn't required at Further Leave to Remain stage as it will already have been taken at entry clearance stage.

Took your advice Tony and cancelled that application, A1 now booked and will reapply once refund has hit my bank by which times she’ll have A1 certificate in hand.

I’ve applied successfully for 4 tourist visas for my partner in the past without any issues, the settlement visas are a different kettle of fish though.

Cant believe that if you answer No to the “Have you taken an approved English language test” question, it gives no advice that one needs to be taken on the checklist.

You’ve basically been refused before you even get to the appointment but still they let you book it.

£1500 a pop, license to print money! 

Thanks for all the answers and advice.

Archived