Thai Toilet Etiquette

Jet Gorgon

Lived in Asia many years, and am used to squat toilets.

However, what still is a mystery is how Thai people can do their duty, use the water spray to clean up (with no toilet paper or towels) and then exit the facilities without water running down their legs or a wet spot on their trousers.

What's the secret?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, what still is a mystery is how Thai people can do their duty, use the water spray to clean up (with no toilet paper or towels) and then exit the facilities without water running down their legs or a wet spot on their trousers.

What's the secret?

Sorry Jet Gogon but I couldn't resist myself.

I think its Pampers. Cheers

No more seriously, I think they all carry toiletpaper in their pockets, bag etc.

At least my wife does

Cheers again

Onzestan

Edited by onzestan

Being a bit overweight (a bit? :o ) and not as nimble as most I have a problem using the squatters. However having been, on many occasions, in a situation where it is cr@p in the squatter or cr@p in my pants I've developed a technique that works for me.

As for the wet bum bit, not being organised enought to have paper in the pocket, I just let the bum drip dry for a minute and the keks absorb the rest. I usually wear denim jeans or shorts so minimal wetness gets through and it dries pdq in the heat.

Of course this approach may run into problems if you are wearing a G string :D or go bush :D .

What's the secret?

Well it helps alot if you don't try to use that small jet sprayer as a bum douche. :o

I squat and use the spray liberally, then I stand up and spray off the toilet and the surrounding floor to make sure any "spill over" has been washed downt the drain....then I flush the toilet with two big scoops of water....then I put on my underpants and pants (I remove them before squating). I never use toilet paper and it seems that the water drains off my body during the time that it takes me to spray the toilet and floor and to flush the toilet....at least enough of it drains away that my pants are not wetted through. I think that some people just think that the water will be a problem but my experience is that it is not.....maybe the "secret" is cotton underwear and cotton pants?

Chownah

Edited by chownah

I squat and use the spray liberally, then I stand up and spray off the toilet and the surrounding floor to make sure any "spill over" has been washed downt the drain....then I flush the toilet with two big scoops of water....then I put on my underpants and pants ).(I remove them before squating I never use toilet paper and it seems that the water drains off my body during the time that it takes me to spray the toilet and floor and to flush the toilet....at least enough of it drains away that my pants are not wetted through. I think that some people just think that the water will be a problem but my experience is that it is not.....maybe the "secret" is cotton underwear and cotton pants?

Chownah

Where do you put them? I've considered removing trousers completely, as if you just lower them, the bottom (cuffs) inevitably gets wet from the water on the floor, but I've never found anywhere dry & safe to put them whilst completing the necessary... :o

I squat and use the spray liberally, then I stand up and spray off the toilet and the surrounding floor to make sure any "spill over" has been washed downt the drain....then I flush the toilet with two big scoops of water....then I put on my underpants and pants ).(I remove them before squating I never use toilet paper and it seems that the water drains off my body during the time that it takes me to spray the toilet and floor and to flush the toilet....at least enough of it drains away that my pants are not wetted through. I think that some people just think that the water will be a problem but my experience is that it is not.....maybe the "secret" is cotton underwear and cotton pants?

Chownah

Where do you put them? I've considered removing trousers completely, as if you just lower them, the bottom (cuffs) inevitably gets wet from the water on the floor, but I've never found anywhere dry & safe to put them whilst completing the necessary... :o

That's where the years of yoga training come handy :D

might seem like a mute point but in the west we are used to facing the door, you may find it easier to face the wall. Thais have the ability to squat right down where we westerners don't, not sure if toilet habits from a young age allows thais to do this or it is just a body flex thing that they have in general.

Where do you put them? I've considered removing trousers completely, as if you just lower them, the bottom (cuffs) inevitably gets wet from the water on the floor, but I've never found anywhere dry & safe to put them whilst completing the necessary...

Yes, THIS is THE problem. Any serious suggestions very much appreciated !!!

Where do you put them? I've considered removing trousers completely, as if you just lower them, the bottom (cuffs) inevitably gets wet from the water on the floor, but I've never found anywhere dry & safe to put them whilst completing the necessary...

Yes, THIS is THE problem. Any serious suggestions very much appreciated !!!

You could fold and tuck into your shirt.

Or balance them on your head.

I usually find some dry nook to tuck them away....but the shirt deal can work fine.

Have a happy crappy :o

Edited by pumpuiman

:D Thanks, everyone.

Ya, the long pants dilemma. That's why I usually wore dresses in Thai. Trousers...roll up the bottoms to the thighs and hope nothing touches the wet floor.

But then, you boys don't have the prob of where to put your handbag either. Usually no hooks or even doorknobs. :o

:D Thanks, everyone.

Ya, the long pants dilemma. That's why I usually wore dresses in Thai. Trousers...roll up the bottoms to the thighs and hope nothing touches the wet floor.

But then, you boys don't have the prob of where to put your handbag either. Usually no hooks or even doorknobs. :o

Amen, sister!

I find that a shoulder bag lets me sling it around my neck, dangling in front of me, but well clear of the ground/toilet. It also keeps my tissue in easy reach. Dresses make it much easier, as my undies balance on the top of my handbag quite nicely.

Sweetie suggests that the slacks get slung over the shoulder, which sounds like it should work to me.

I also carried my own soap slivers or wet ones for hand washing.

Actually, I like squat toilets as you don't touch anything, but there can be probs balancing if the wine has been flowing.

Ah, well, that's why I always had fabric bags so everything is washable in case of a Jet land slide.

Tissue? Don't be soft. What's wrong with a slightly damp arse?

I'm thinking of changing 1 of my 3 toilets in my house from Western style to Thai style - a lot more comfortable, hygenic, and healthy(good if your constipated - squirt right up your **** and wait 20s).

Instead of taking yr pants off completely, I find if u do not drop your pants below the knees, your clothes wont get wet. Drop them about 1/2 way down yr thigh, and if u have long pants that way you can also roll the lower part up. (Everything is now bunched up around yr knees)

Chownah

Round your neck, NR, it works for me. :D

Chownah

I don't know about you guys, but most of the public toilets in servo's and the like are so dirty with piss and crap everywhere, that there is no way I would let any part of my skin touch the surrounding surfaces, let alone taking all my clothes off. Public toilets are best avoided unless you have absolutley no choice.

Think about the public toilets in JJ weekend market for instance.......

Soundman.

Chownah

Where do you put them? I've considered removing trousers completely, as if you just lower them, the bottom (cuffs) inevitably gets wet from the water on the floor, but I've never found anywhere dry & safe to put them whilst completing the necessary... :D

I don't know about you guys, but most of the public toilets in servo's and the like are so dirty with piss and crap everywhere, that there is no way I would let any part of my skin touch the surrounding surfaces, let alone taking all my clothes off. Public toilets are best avoided unless you have absolutley no choice.

Think about the public toilets in JJ weekend market for instance.......

Soundman.

Amen to all that, and especially when you have to pay too. :o

what about the toilets without the bum guns? the ones with a tub of water and the round plasic bowl ?

how do those work? I assume you pour it down your lower back, hoping some of it trickles its way down under... unless one is meant to somehow reach under and project it upwards in a splash, risking a slip & possible contamination.

At least the challenge of balancing, cleaning and escaping without slipping, falling and contaminating my clothing etc gives a warm sense of accomplishment.

what about the toilets without the bum guns? the ones with a tub of water and the round plasic bowl ?

how do those work? I assume you pour it down your lower back, hoping some of it trickles its way down under... unless one is meant to somehow reach under and project it upwards in a splash, risking a slip & possible contamination.

At least the challenge of balancing, cleaning and escaping without slipping, falling and contaminating my clothing etc gives a warm sense of accomplishment.

I could answer this one for you, however, I am not entirely sure I am doing it correctly myself. I think it is time for a few of our "thai" forum members to put their 2 cents worth in....

Soundman.

For a guy with a lotta posts, you must have spent most of your time in the city ......... the LEFT hand is used to splash water UP to the anus and, if necessary, wash it a bit all from the small plastic bowl, and the remaining water dumped in the toilet.......then some fresh water from the tub in the plastic bowl and a good scrub of the left hand in the plastic bowl, dump the water and you're done. Thais are careful not to contaminate the water in the tub and to not use their right hand. This may not seem terribly sanitary to westerners but most health professionals know that SCRUBBING of the hands is more important than using soap. The upside is that Thais must have the cleanest bums in the world; most that I know are disgusted by the western use of toilet paper.

the lack of hooks in toilets over here is one of the mysteries of thailand for me,along with bus air conditioning on full blast with blankets supplied.what does it take to stick a nail in the door frame.its sometimes an art to manage to stuff or hang your clothing sometimes.maybe underpants on the head & trouser legs tied around the neck is the awnser.

im not really a fan of the spray method either.it just seems that a slightly wrong angle can blast debris anywhere.i have been in the odd thai toilet where there has been chillies on the floor from previous poos.lovely just before a meal.

on a scientific note a hairy bum & clinker could also be a problem for some. :o

my solution for the no hook problem is to wrap my belongings (small size) into my shirt, rolling the shirt up to my chin, holding it all in place with the chin. This may sound strange and awkward, but this method is secure, and it is much safer than trying to dangle things off the door latch.

Carry a wire hanger in your bag and use it as a hook.....simple....cheap....effective....or even fashion a piece of it into a hook to reduce the incredible weight of carrying around the entire hanger.

Chownah

Plan ahead....but only if you want to....it does take some of the excitement out of life though.

chownah