Thai Toilet Etiquette

13. But if you are the smart guy I think you may be, you have brought sheets of tissue with you in your right pocket, so after finishing your stuff, splash water ON THE TISSUE, and wipe your a.. (sorry, I meant your... you know what I mean). Do this 2 or three times and finish of with tissue, without any water. You'll be clean as a newborn baby.

But what do you then do with the soiled tissue? Flush it down the hole?

Personally I favour the hand cleaning method although the lack of soap to properly wash up afterwards is sometimes a problem.

[/quote

Use ONLY the left hand to do the cleaning and wiping. Thats why farang should NEVER hand anything to Thais with their left hand since it is considered dirty.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always have problems with the squatters, i just take my pants off completely and have one hand on the back mall to keep me falling in. Its bad when you start cramping up too.

I just mastered using the jet spray, i never wanted to use it because i thought it would splash all the crap everywhere, but to my surprise it didnt and I actually love it.

It also feels GREAT :o

I always have problems with the squatters, i just take my pants off completely and have one hand on the back mall to keep me falling in. Its bad when you start cramping up too.

I just mastered using the jet spray, i never wanted to use it because i thought it would splash all the crap everywhere, but to my surprise it didnt and I actually love it.

It also feels GREAT :o

The "Ass Blaster" splendid bit of kit. also heard the term "Bum Gun" wonderfull

BTW, do the Thai have similar problems with western toilets?

Well, I've heard of Thais squatting squat-toilet style on top of a western toilet seat! Now that's a pretty precarious position to be in. I could also imagine a toilet seat breaking easily with that much weight on it...

Many western toilets in China have a sign above them with a person squatting on the seat and then a circle with a slash through it. I couldn't imagine someone doing this, until I saw shoe prints on the seat.

Traditionally the left hand is used for cleaning and it is one reason why you don't see Thais using their left hand very much in their dining habits.

That is also why in the middle east if you are caught stealing, they cut off your right hand. Makes it so that you cannot eat in public because no one would eat with you when you are using your left hand to eat out of the bowl.

... also i have this image of the phone falling out of the front pocket and into the loo... so rather than losing a BHT 20K gadget, I rather take off the pants :o

I have done this. A little clean up and open it up to dry and it worked like a charm for a few more years.

You say you don't like Thai toilets? Ha-ha-ha! Go to China and see what toilets they have there, that will be an unforgettable experience.

As I always say, any complaint that people have about Thailand is 10 times worse in China.

One I got passed the mental stage fright of squatting I thought they were great and I love the water shower head - much cleaner than toilet paper and after 6 months in Thailand i wanted to fit on at home - don't think you can in the UK. I am just back from Egypt though and they have them too - so loving them all over again loL!! cotton undies is the key !

As for China - I didn't find the toilets bacd and they always had a western version that no one ever used - maybe it would have been different out in the sticks!

My first adventure "squatting" was in Paris, 1957, no big deal now.

I now have toilet roll and wet wipes as "must take", where eva I travel.

Noway, am I gunna spray me butt in a public convenience....... ewwwwww.

A couple of toilet seat covers are handy too.

Usually purloined from hotels.

THE MAIN THING IN THAILAND IS WEAR SHORTS.

Males and females are able tp piss standing up, hold baqck the brown stuff till ya get home.

Any femmes who think otherwise, just need practice, quite simple. Do it in the shower.

I guess body size could cause a problem.

With some Thai food, and hygiene, holding back, that can be a challenge........LOL

Mind over matter works for me, empty everything before departing.

Hey when i was there last month, i was in a mini bis (van) and this american girl pooped her pants, it stunk so freaking bad, i think she had the runs.

The worst part was that she was a blonde stunner. But i wouldnt touch that now. lucky we got out in about 10 mins, she came so close to making it.

Had to feel sorry for her though, she didnt want to lose face by saying she has to go to the toilet, then she paid and stunk us all out

Hey when i was there last month, i was in a mini bis (van) and this american girl pooped her pants, it stunk so freaking bad, i think she had the runs.

The worst part was that she was a blonde stunner. But i wouldnt touch that now. lucky we got out in about 10 mins, she came so close to making it.

Had to feel sorry for her though, she didnt want to lose face by saying she has to go to the toilet, then she paid and stunk us all out

How did you know she was American? Did she use blank passport pages to tidy up and you saw passport?