Thai Toilet Etiquette

Jet Gorgon

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The following was posted by ExpatsClub on Fri 2003-08-08, 11:44:42

If you only hang around in Bangkok, you can always find great Farang toilets in the hotels, some fairly good ones at Central and other Department stores. But if you intend to go upcountry, or visit gas stations, small restaurants, etc. around in town for your potty visit, you're in trouble, because they all use the "holes"

So here is the first instruction manual for potty training male adult farangs in Thailand:

1. Open the door to the toilet. Walk in.

2. Close the door to the toilet...if possible

3. Survey the water situation...is there any water at all

4. Look for the nail to hang your trousers on

5. No nail...you're in trouble...be innovative

6. Take of your trousers & shoes, underwear, be careful, there may be "waste water" on the floor, don't let your trousers / feet touch the floor.

7. Hang your trousers on the nail. Check the "hanging" situation. If not proper hanged...they may fall down during your intimate relationship with the hole. So check

8. If no nail, hang your trouser around your neck. Be careful of loose coins, wallets, etc., they may fall out.

9. Take of your socks, put your socks in your trouser's right pocket. Stuff your underwear there too.

10. Put on your shoes again, you don't want your bare feet on the floor.

10A. Do your stuff.

11. After finishing your stuff...take your tissue paper from the left pocket in your trousers... WHAT... I can't hear you!... Oh. YOU didn't bring any tissue paper. Oh my Gawd..

12. No tissue - scoop water in the small bowl, try to splash on your backside (you know where) at the same time while using a hand to rub away any "leftovers" - try not to think about it, pretend it is actually Jennifer Lopez doing it for you (if you're gay, Elton John will do).

13. But if you are the smart guy I think you may be, you have brought sheets of tissue with you in your right pocket, so after finishing your stuff, splash water ON THE TISSUE, and wipe your a.. (sorry, I meant your... you know what I mean). Do this 2 or three times and finish of with tissue, without any water. You'll be clean as a newborn baby.

14. Stand up from your sitting position...that's already a marvelous feat, especially after a "bad day" - sitting with your knees bended for an extended period of time is not so easy for us farang. And it is even more difficult to stand up after.

15. Put on your underwear and trousers. Don't let the trousers touch the floor. Maybe roll them up to the knee before you put them on, it makes it easier to put them on without getting wet (after all, you have already spilled so much water on the floor during your rinsing process, that NOW the floor is wet for sure.

16. Open the door

17. Put on your socks when you're outside

18. Start whistling - you made it - you have passed the test, are now a Thailand "old hand"

19. Go pick up your Certificate of Achievement from the Ministry of Thai Culture. Talk to Khun Uraiwan.. she doesn't know me, but she will when you go there and tell about my FREE Expats Potty Training Manual.

There are so many hilarious posts on this topic : "Thai Toilet Etiquette", but THIS ONE comes out the best.

No matter how many times I keep reading it, it always crack me up. :o:D:D

BIG thanks to 'ExpatsClub' for brighten my days. :D:D

Tinkelbell ( your all time big fan)

You might want to add washing your hands well somewhere after the splashing, rinsing and getting rid of leftovers. I find if I don't, when I pick up food and eat it, it tastes like sh*t. Maybe that's why I don't like Thai food so much?

If you only hang around in Bangkok, you can always find great Farang toilets in the hotels, some fairly good ones at Central and other Department stores. But if you intend to go upcountry, or visit gas stations, small restaurants, etc. around in town for your potty visit, you're in trouble, because they all use the "holes"

So here is the first instruction manual for potty training male adult farangs in Thailand:

6. Take of your trousers & shoes, underwear, be careful, there may be "waste water" on the floor, don't let your trousers / feet touch the floor.

7. Hang your trousers on the nail. Check the "hanging" situation. If not proper hanged...they may fall down during your intimate relationship with the hole. So check

8. If no nail, hang your trouser around your neck. Be careful of loose coins, wallets, etc., they may fall out.

9. Take of your socks, put your socks in your trouser's right pocket. Stuff your underwear there too.

10A. Do your stuff.

11. After finishing your stuff...take your tissue paper from the left pocket in your trousers... WHAT... I can't hear you!... Oh. YOU didn't bring any tissue paper. Oh my Gawd..

12. No tissue - scoop water in the small bowl, try to splash on your backside (you know where) at the same time while using a hand to rub away any "leftovers" - try not to think about it, pretend it is actually Jennifer Lopez doing it for you (if you're gay, Elton John will do).

13. But if you are the smart guy I think you may be, you have brought sheets of tissue with you in your right pocket, so after finishing your stuff, splash water ON THE TISSUE, and wipe your a.. (sorry, I meant your... you know what I mean). Do this 2 or three times and finish of with tissue, without any water. You'll be clean as a newborn baby.

14. Stand up from your sitting position...that's already a marvelous feat, especially after a "bad day" - sitting with your knees bended for an extended period of time is not so easy for us farang. And it is even more difficult to stand up after.

15. Put on your underwear and trousers. Don't let the trousers touch the floor. Maybe roll them up to the knee before you put them on, it makes it easier to put them on without getting wet (after all, you have already spilled so much water on the floor during your rinsing process, that NOW the floor is wet for sure.

16. Open the door

18. Start whistling - you made it - you have passed the test, are now a Thailand "old hand"

19. Go pick up your Certificate of Achievement from the Ministry of Thai Culture. Talk to Khun Uraiwan.. she doesn't know me, but she will when you go there and tell about my FREE Expats Potty Training Manual.

There are so many hilarious posts on this topic : "Thai Toilet Etiquette", but THIS ONE comes out the best.

I had a funny experiance at the phuket zoo went to use the good old thai toilet and as I was squatting down with bad knees I grabbed hold of the hose on the wall and yes you guessed it I pulled it of the wall water every where .

I hightailed it out of there and managed to hold on until back at the hotel .

We are building in Loei and I have told my wife we can have anything but I want a farang toilet

10A. Do your stuff.

16. Open the door

I had a funny experiance at the phuket zoo went to use the good old thai toilet and as I was squatting down with bad knees I grabbed hold of the hose on the wall and yes you guessed it I pulled it of the wall water every where .

I hightailed it out of there and managed to hold on until back at the hotel .

We are building in Loei and I have told my wife we can have anything but I want a farang toilet

When my wife first came to Australia she didnt like using the paper she was looking for the hose on the wall she learnt pretty quick though but no black and gold paper for her nothing but the best SORBENT

A few months training in a combat field unit in any military will cure your need for seeking darkness as an ally.

Funny

My recollection of armed forces (UK) training relates to defecating in plastic bags and carrying with you.

Didn't they issue entrenching tools?

Amazing how sound and smell carries,

Does farting in a plastic bag make that much difference?

(have you tried when you are in the same position for days on end?)

Regards

:o

Wouldn't all those plastic bags get heavy?

i agree, why not hang two pieces of rope from the ceiling for them to hang on to !

Hmm .. gives me an idea. A bit of creative thinking should yield a sturdy but strong metal "U' bracket that could slip over the top of the door .. couple of holes punched ..

.. through which one or 2 cords are passed. One a loop to secure clothing, another as an assist for stabilizing my perch as well as getting my fat 68 year old body back to a standing position ..

.. nicely rolled up and tucked under the drivers seat of my car.

the toilet thing is just something we have to accept

we don't have to accept squat toilets if we don't like them. i for example have never used one and i'd rather sh*t in the open than using one.

Isn't shi**ing in the open actually using a huge squat toilet?

Lived in Asia many years, and am used to squat toilets.

However, what still is a mystery is how Thai people can do their duty, use the water spray to clean up (with no toilet paper or towels) and then exit the facilities without water running down their legs or a wet spot on their trousers.

What's the secret?

I cannot, for the life of me, Understand how this even became a topic.

Stupid Farang.

might seem like a mute point but in the west we are used to facing the door, you may find it easier to face the wall. Thais have the ability to squat right down where we westerners don't, not sure if toilet habits from a young age allows thais to do this or it is just a body flex thing that they have in general.

Did you not notice , they squat just about everywhere , many do not even have a chair in the house unless it is about 10 cm off the floor , that is probably why so many have 'Bent leg' syndrome when they get older , well , older for them , many of them learned from squatting in the trees because so few had a toilet of any description .

10A. Do your stuff.

16. Open the door

BIG thanks to 'ExpatsClub' for brighten my days. :D:P

I should have noted that as a Thai who takes annual trip back home to BKK, I could not live with 'wet-one'. Before leaving US, I would stock up at least 3 boxes of baby wiper ( 3 x 300 sheets) :D , that's how I survive the BKK heat :burp: and keep my (outings) trips to the toilet less miserable :( .

Reading these threads on this topic helps open my eyes about other people's adventure :D .

Many thanks to all of you for bringing out my smiling face :P .

BTW, do the Thai have similar problems with western toilets?

Well, I've heard of Thais squatting squat-toilet style on top of a western toilet seat! Now that's a pretty precarious position to be in. I could also imagine a toilet seat breaking easily with that much weight on it...

Yes, working in a large office in Singapore I was amazed to see feet marks on the seat!!

Regarding how to use a squat toilet, I'm afraid that on occasions my feet go through the motions

Lived in Asia many years, and am used to squat toilets.

However, what still is a mystery is how Thai people can do their duty, use the water spray to clean up (with no toilet paper or towels) and then exit the facilities without water running down their legs or a wet spot on their trousers.

What's the secret?

I cannot, for the life of me, Understand how this even became a topic.

Stupid Farang.

Because thanks to modern science most of us didn't grow up crapping on the floor through a tiny hole and rubbing our fingers in the dirty smelly crap that can make you violently ill because of the viruses that it can contain.

I hope that answers your "Stupid Farang" question.

Also a sense of humor often helps.

Cheers.

BTW, do the Thai have similar problems with western toilets?

Well, I've heard of Thais squatting squat-toilet style on top of a western toilet seat! Now that's a pretty precarious position to be in. I could also imagine a toilet seat breaking easily with that much weight on it...

Yes, working in a large office in Singapore I was amazed to see feet marks on the seat!!

Regarding how to use a squat toilet, I'm afraid that on occasions my feet go through the motions

We had to put signs up offshore banning people from standing on the western toilet as one poor soul was squating on a western toilet and it collasped under him cutting his ar*e....

What sort of subject is this?

Who the hel_l cares or want`s to know how people clean their asses after having a crap.

This thread must be an all time low on ThaiVisa.

While we are on the subject, I use my daughter`s little fluffy bunny rabbit. It`s brown so no ones noticed yet.

Edited by sassienie

I saw this topic and just had to read it from begining to end.Great topic.So many people have no idea how to use a squat toilet.I have meet people that have said to me "how can you like to sit on it more then a regular toilet"?WHAT????They had really sat on it.NASTY.I do prefer a squat.It is easier and cleaner.Her is a photo of one that is welllllllll interesting.

post-14263-1223152219_thumb.jpg

I saw this topic and just had to read it from begining to end.Great topic.So many people have no idea how to use a squat toilet.I have meet people that have said to me "how can you like to sit on it more then a regular toilet"?WHAT????They had really sat on it.NASTY.I do prefer a squat.It is easier and cleaner.Her is a photo of one that is welllllllll interesting.

At least it has a roof... our next door neighbours doesn't.. and we live on higher land :o

totster :D

Not directly a reply to the OP, but a funny story about "Western" toilets in the Netherlands 50 years ago.

In that days, most of the houses had their toilet (which was simple hole in the ground) out of the house.

A cattle farmer in a little Dutch town was going to Amsterdam to sell a few of his best cows.

When he returned home that day, he called his whole family together to tell the story about the big city.

"After I sold my cows, I had to go to the toilet. So I want to a local coffee shop and went to the toilet."

"It was unbelievable. The toilet was a Ceramic bowl where I could sit on and do the shitting."

"After I had finish shitting, I pulled a handle and wish ....., everything was washed away and the bowl was filled with just enough fresh water to wash my hands and my face.

:o

• 2 months later...
Since then I have mastered the technique, and have become a big fan of the sprayer. If I ever move back the US I am definitely installing one in the bathroom.

I still have a home in the US and have installed one in all the toilets. As we have many guests there--and it is human nature to experiment--there have been many converts to the bum gun. As a result, I return to the US with a suitcase full of bum guns from MBK to give as gifts and they are very appreciated. (Some say the kitchen sink spray hoses available in the west will work as well, but they don't have the proper nozzle to get the job done correctly.) I am the bum gun Santa!

At the request of my wife, I installed the dish sprayer variety at our home in the U.S. Not being much of a handyman, I went to the local Home Depot and consulted with a store assocciate about what I wanted to do. His first reaction was "Are you serious?"

Yes I was and he was very helpful in getting the fittings I would need and telling me how to do it. There was no discussion of how it would be used, which was good as I am still not sure, except I know Farangs like them as bum guns. Anyhow, I did the installation and the wife was happy with it. She did not complain about nozzle size or water stream pressure.I have never asked her exactly how she uses it. So as far I can tell, a dish sprayer should do just fine for the ladies.

I always crouch, even in the UK I hate sitting on someones dirty, sweaty seat...yukkk

ps.. Have you ever had a mosquito bite ya ass? Knacks doesnt it....

Worse when one bites your bell end and you have such an itch to scratch. Embarrassing, but it happened and the looks I got .........

At least it has a roof... our next door neighbours doesn't.. and we live on higher land :o

totster :D

Classic!

Does anyone have trouble with "splashing"? Maybe it's because I hold it until I have to go so badly, that it comes out in a hard stream that splashes back up all over my legs, feet and whatever. I'm a girl. Does that matter? Any tips? The only solution I have found so far is to go right before I'm about to take a shower--then I just wash everything down. Yikes!

Does anyone have trouble with "splashing"? Maybe it's because I hold it until I have to go so badly, that it comes out in a hard stream that splashes back up all over my legs, feet and whatever. I'm a girl. Does that matter? Any tips? The only solution I have found so far is to go right before I'm about to take a shower--then I just wash everything down. Yikes!

That about sounds right , and I read one poster was considering PAYING to instal one of these 'Jungle accessories ' in his home !!!!!!!!!!! About the most unhygenic device I have ever come across , it was better when they just walked into the trees and dug a hole , at least you could find a dry spot and lots of handy branches to hang your clothes . :o

• 5 months later...

I am surprised that most foreigners here seem to embrace the squatting and bum spraying as hygienic. Is it a psychological mechanism of denial, as it can be disturbing to realize the lack of hygiene? I might be wrong, but I cannot see how this can really be hygienic. I believe it is more important to have clean hands than a 100% clean bum. Especially if people have long nails and jewelry on their fingers, it is really unhygienic to use ones hand to wash the bum. Even by washing the hand carefully afterwards, it is kind of risky, I would say. And many places they do not have soap. From a western perspective, this is insane. 

Splashing water into ones bum does not in itself give a thorough cleaning, one has to use a hand as well. And to really get it clean, it may take some thoroughness, which will inevitably leave the hands in a suspicious condition. Better to do that job with toilet paper. A lot of the shit in ones bum needs to be met with a certain resistance to be cleaned off. Can’t see how water and a light touch with ones hand can do that job as good as toilet paper.

As far as the bum sprayer goes, I cannot see how the device in itself can be hygienic. A lot of shit might fall on it when using it – at least: how can you control whether that happens or not? It seems to me that both the water and the shit may easily go places where it should not. 

And if one has a western toilet and a bum sprayer – does one sit on the seat while using the sprayer? Then the sprayer and the hand have to go almost into the toilet bowl – this in itself does not seem very hygienic. Then one should at least flush down ones piece of work before using the sprayer. And the wire can easily get into the water in the toilet bowl, right? Or if one stands up a little, and uses the bum sprayer, this seems likely to increase the chance of the water and shit going places where it should not.

In India too they usually squat and use water buckets. Or they have bum sprayers. In the 70s a medical doctor (Was it Doctor Meredith or something?) conducted some research in the Indian city Pune. He found that almost all items, including vegetables etc – had shit on them. It certainly had a connection with the toilet etiquette. He tried to bring this problem to awareness, as he thought the lack of hygiene was the main reason for many health issues there. But it was very taboo to attack the toilet etiquette. They rather wanted to explain all the health issues by the “tropical climate”, than to face the truth. I have always been sick several times when I have been in India. I have not heard about anyone who has not had that problem. 

But Thailand seems to be different. Here I have not gotten really sick. I would say the streets, hotels etc are generally cleaner here in Thailand (the big cities) than in India. There is a better system to get rid of garbage etc. This might be one reason why Thailand does not seem to have these problems so much. But taking into consideration the toilet etiquette and that there is often a lack of soap, I am surprised things seem to be going so smooth. In a hospital in Sweden, one of the staff had diarrhea and did not wash his hands well enough. He was working in the kitchen. Soon a lot of people got really sick, and it was a big issue. Strange that this kind of thing does not seem to happen so much here in Thailand.

Certainly using toilet paper can also be kind of unhygienic if one is not wiping very consciously. But then at least ones hands are likely to be still quite clean, if washed with some soap. I believe that using toilet paper thoroughly – wiping many times both in the middle and on “both sides” of ones bum – is the best way. And to wash ones bum carefully with soap once a day, in the shower.

Would be interested to have the hygienic benefits of using water/hand or bum sprayer explained in detail – taking into account the things I mentioned above.

this may help post-81849-1245505020_thumb.jpg