Thai Toilet Etiquette

Jet Gorgon

In Europe there is also besides the "Normal Western Toilet". The I believe French " Bidet". It's the same principle as the bum gun system. Only just put your ass up the bowl, and press the tap, fountain will clean your ass until GOLD. :)

iace_1970_bidet.jpg

Edited by Datsun240Z

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Yes, I moved into a new apartment in Dubai and it had a Bidet installed in the bathroom. Feeling fairly confident that it hadnt been used by one of the builders, I originally used to wash my feet inside it, especially if I had been outside somewhere with thongs on. After a while I recognised its real beauty and turned it into a mini fish tank.

It also had gold taps and if you asked me was a real pain in the arse (pardon the pun) because it was located closest to the doorway & I was constantly tripping on the sucker. Never did stick my butt cheaks over it tho!

one of the staff had diarrhea and did not wash his hands well enough. He was working in the kitchen. Soon a lot of people got really sick, and it was a big issue. Strange that this kind of thing does not seem to happen so much here in Thailand.

Maybe it doesn't happen so much because they use the bum squirter in Thailand..no need to wipe with your hand at all just squirt in general direction for a good few seconds !!!

in my opinion much cleaner. :)

In Europe there is also besides the "Normal Western Toilet". The I believe French " Bidet". It's the same principle as the bum gun system. Only just put your ass up the bowl, and press the tap, fountain will clean your ass until GOLD. :)

iace_1970_bidet.jpg

when the fridge broke we filled it with cold water and put the chesse butter etc in to stop it from going off in the heat!

My first train trip in Thailand was also a bit of an experience. A squatter in a train that's rocking along, with a sign on the wall "Please don't make dirty in station" (as the toilet emptied directly onto the train tracks) :D

Haha, yeah the train toilets are amazing :D ! It's full of bacteria, I never touched anything, even the door I opened with my feet. :)

iace_1970_bidet.jpg

when the fridge broke we filled it with cold water and put the chesse butter etc in to stop it from going off in the heat!

And I thought I was strange :D !

:):D:D

Considering that this thread has gone on for 8 pages it seems to be a popular complaint. I poop in the woods all the time on wilderness trips and have no problems, but still hate those squat toilets. I never trust the flushing system and I hate leaving anything behind for others to find. Westerners and Asians ARE different. Asians grow up learning to squat and can do so for hours. Most farang's knees give out after a few minutes. As one person mentioned, a hairy butt is a problem without paper or a sprayer. And, even our internal "plumbing" seems to work differently, but that is probably due to what we eat. Having physical problems is also an issue when trying to balance in a low squat position.

If I'm traveling anywhere I always carry toilet paper with me. I carry some in my camera bag. I always have some in my truck and I certainly bring some if traveling by Thai bus. At least it gets rid of the worst of the mess should a problem arise. I can always take a shower later.

First time I encountered a squatter was in the public (staff ?) washroom of a hotel. I was trying to get back to my room (7th floor) :D in a hurry. Asked the desk clerk if there was a nearby toilet and she pointed down the hall from the elevators.

Had the pants ready to drop before I even got the cubicle door open, only to be greeted by this little porcelain thing on the floor. <deleted> I says to myself, did the toilet sink into the floor ?

No time to contemplate any further. I saw the marks for the feet, but I just couldn't balance, especially with my denims around my ankles. Desperate times call for desperate measures. The raised edges looked pretty clean, a step forward and "plunk", sat right on the bloody thing. Fortunately they did have paper in the dispenser.

My first train trip in Thailand was also a bit of an experience. A squatter in a train that's rocking along, with a sign on the wall "Please don't make dirty in station" (as the toilet emptied directly onto the train tracks) :D

I learned the hard way to always carry TP or tissues with me, especially when travelling outside the city. My latest "soon-to-be-ex" (Petchabun bred and raised) also carries a supply with her.

In the M.E. people also do the squat/left hand routine. It is (in many places) considered impolite to offer anything to another person using your left hand (for obvious reasons).

I don't know, but I can't see how dribbling some water on my fingers and rubbing them together is going to clean them that well. The "bum gun" ? Well, the ones I have would work much better at putting out fires. I can barely use them when cleaning the hong nam, for fear of damaging the fixtures !

Squatting on Sitters. We've been having a lot of problems with that here lately. The company that has the contract to supply and service the portable toilets, as well as cleaning the ablution (fixed) washrooms, put up signs similar to what have been posted elsewhere in this thread (no squatting on the sitters basically). In addition to the broken seats, some people tend to squat a little too far to the rear, and refuse to clean up their mistake afterwards. :D

I would like to point out though, that if squatters are so great, why are they becoming a disappearing breed, and sitters becoming more common everywhere ? :D

Surely it should be the other way around ? :)

:D

My first train trip in Thailand was also a bit of an experience. A squatter in a train that's rocking along, with a sign on the wall "Please don't make dirty in station" (as the toilet emptied directly onto the train tracks)

Oh yes....reminds me of quite a few years back and my visa runs to Penang. Are there still any of those old trains still running?

I always wondered about those small towns the train went through before it hit Malaysia. Had houses within a foot or two of the railroad. Must have been quite a smelly place to live.

:D

By the way....in the house I had refunished for my Thai family....everyone wanted the sitters versus the squatters. Guess they've been westernised over the years. "Bum Guns" are still there though...that has never been abandoned. And the plastic basket of toliet paper to be burned later, emptied daily.

Debbiev; Contrary to other suggestions here, I find that the pouring method is far more sanitary and effective than the splashing method. If cleaning the rear; with the plastic bowl in the right hand pour a stream of water aimed at the top of the cleavage while cleaning the business area with the left hand. Two to four bowlsful usually does the trick nicely. Just a little practice aiming and pouring and I think you'll be very pleased with the results. As for the front...? I don't know. I would think that the same method should work.

iace_1970_bidet.jpg

NERD ALERT

That must be a very old picture or not from the UK.

Current UK Water Bylaws prohibit Bidets to spray upwards. they now have a type of tap spraying forward&downwards a bit. Its due to the usual UK H&S crap rules(pun intended) about dirty&clean water cross contamination.

Funny thread BTW

Dave (Happy ex-plumber)

Secret: Clean it good with the water ans use a Handichief/tissue to damp dry and they are good go, Me I make sure I have Tissue in pocket or Newspaper(BP) Handy, just in case there is no water or toilet paper available. :D:):D TIT

Squats are an issue for me...... this is rather disgusting but it works for me..

i clean the squat top off with paper and then sit on it like a normal bog! it works for dropping logs as they drop into the hole! it takes a bit of bombardier practice but usually 9 out of 10 hit the target

Careful peeing in this position as back splash is a dead cert..standing cures this...

I love the bum gun though..really miss it when its not in a bog..i don't use the splash bucket and wipe method with hand only in emergencies with no paper.

The bum gun Ialways use but it annoys me if the pressure is low and only a trickly i enjoy a good solid blast to cleanse me bits.

Hey no problem,

Visa runs wear shorts

Buss travel wear shorts

Pha Yen from the hostes or get them before you go.

All over Thailand they have squatties and not far away they have the 10Bhat towel machine

They also provide instuctions for both types:

post-17667-1245545349_thumb.jpg

post-17667-1245545744_thumb.jpg

post-17667-1245545229_thumb.jpg

Squats are an issue for me...... this is rather disgusting but it works for me..

i clean the squat top off with paper and then sit on it like a normal bog! it works for dropping logs as they drop into the hole! it takes a bit of bombardier practice but usually 9 out of 10 hit the target

Careful peeing in this position as back splash is a dead cert..standing cures this...

I love the bum gun though..really miss it when its not in a bog..i don't use the splash bucket and wipe method with hand only in emergencies with no paper.

The bum gun Ialways use but it annoys me if the pressure is low and only a trickly i enjoy a good solid blast to cleanse me bits.

YES, that is disgusting, putting ur naked arse cheeks where others are crapping and urinating. You must be "Mr Hugh Jass" to get your butt cheeks to each side of the shittter. Amazing stuff :D .

What makes me laugh about this so much, is its just such an easy simple task, thank christ some of you arnt trying to perform brain surgery. :)

in China...went to the "washroom" in Shanghai..you pay money to the lady..but no toilet paper or soap..no squat toilets there..same on the train from Xiamen to Shanghai..but we always have tp and soap with us i felt shitttty until i read your comments on these pages..thanks folks..better than toilet humour..

in China...went to the "washroom" in Shanghai..you pay money to the lady..but no toilet paper or soap..no squat toilets there..same on the train from Xiamen to Shanghai..but we always have tp and soap with us i felt shitttty until i read your comments on these pages..thanks folks..better than toilet humour..

Again in China ,the most obnoxious shitter I have ever encountered.

On the night ferry from Behai to Hainan ,the toilet is a trough about 12 inches wide and 6 inches deep and about 15 foot long. running along the deck, you just drop you daks and squat ,leaning back against the bulwarks, trouble was there are no partitions so its shoulder to shoulder men and women all together.

No facility to clean the nether region , the locals just dumped their load ,pulled up the daks and walked off,luckily I had a handkerchief in my pocket which was better than nothing.

When the tray is full to overflowing a deckhand takes the fire hose off the wall and sluices the lot over the sides.

The boat was so overloaded with passengers without cabins that they were sitting ,eating and sleeping only a few feet from the shitter and in full view. :)

True, Soundman. But public toilets are pretty dismal anywhere. And if ya gotta go...like on visa trip stops, well...

Into the bushes and clean up with a banana leaf, JG, it works for me. :D

If Im ever passin by your place please dont offer to make me a sarni :)