Pattaya: Company ordered me to drive faulty tourist bus, claims driver after smash

rooster59

Pattaya: Company ordered me to drive faulty tourist bus, claims driver after smash

75E92075-1FF6-418E-ADB6-FF13582B6BB0-1280x720.jpeg

Caption: A thoroughly faulty tour bus

A tour bus driver has told police that he warned his company three days ago that his vehicle was not roadworthy.

He said it should not be used to transport tourists until it was repaired. 

He claimed that nevertheless the company ordered him to take the Chinese tourists back to Bangkok. 

Thirteen of the 17 passengers on board were taken to hospital in Pattaya after the vehicle veered off the road on Route 7 KM marker 120 and hit a barrier and lamppost. 

Driver Kiatchai, 38, said he had been driving the tourists around in Pattaya for three days and had warned the company, something that fell on deaf ears, he claimed. 

He said there was a problem with the bearings in the steering column that caused him to lose control. 

Thaivisa notes that the company is based in Phrapradaeng. 

Their website in English and Thai has a section on safety itemising the existence of six fire extinguishers, four hammers, seatbelts for all, stickers warning of hazards, GPS and automatic door sensors. 

There is no mention of maintenance in the safety section. 

Police are investigating.

Source: 77 Kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-12

whoever is 'knowingly' behind the wheel 

- is still ultimately professionally responsible...   

try getting out of a Fine if you get picked up driving a rental, that is unroadworthy!  

A sort of 'Possession is 9/10ths of the Law' thing etc etc  

even if you don't own it... you'll still have Own it

7 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Their website in English and Thai has a section on safety itemising the existence of six fire extinguishers, four hammers, seatbelts for all, stickers warning of hazards, GPS and automatic door sensors. 

Functional steering wheel bearings are not mentioned.

????????????

The company has a much larger bill to pay now instead of just replacing the bearings for the steering including the hospital bills for the 17 Chinese tourists . Unfortunately these bus companies sometimes put profit over and above safety of its drivers/passengers and other road users .

12 minutes ago, tifino said:

whoever is 'knowingly' behind the wheel 

- is still ultimately professionally responsible...   

try getting out of a Fine if you get picked up driving a rental, that is unroadworthy!  

A sort of 'Possession is 9/10ths of the Law' thing etc etc  

even if you don't own it... you'll still have Own it

Sure, all he had to do was refuse to get behind the wheel and get fired.

Since when would any professional driver purposely get behind the wheel and drive knowing of a dangerous fault. I would drive the bus directly to the testing station or have spoken to a traffic cop about the problem and have him "stop me" for a safety check. so the company would have no blame for the driver! But the driver losing control and crashing doesn't ring true to his claim. Knowing the steering problem he still drove at speed. So he is a dangerous driver willing to take risks.

26 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Thirteen of the 17 passengers on board were taken to hospital in Pattaya after the vehicle veered off the road on Route 7 KM marker 120 and hit a barrier and lamppost. 

The sooner lampposts, barriers and power poles are banned from the road, the safer we will all be.

22 minutes ago, keith101 said:

Unfortunately these bus companies sometimes put profit over and above safety of its drivers/passengers and other road users

what you mean "sometimes"

In the UK you might get a bus accident like this once or twice a year - here it is every week/day

27 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Sure, all he had to do was refuse to get behind the wheel and get fired.

I guess i get some sarcasm here, in fact i find quite refreshing that a driver comes out and blame the company, knowing very well that he will be fired, and possibly worse.

I wonder how many times it happens that a poor driver complains about a bus being not roadworthy, yet he has to choose between being fired or driving the death trap while trusting his amulets.

40 minutes ago, stevenl said:

If you react to a post because you are of a different opinion, please don't hesitate and give your opinion. These memes are just rubbish.

but I was in agreement!

- the driver was trying for a Catch22 excuse wasn't he?

1 hour ago, phetpeter said:

Since when would any professional driver purposely get behind the wheel and drive knowing of a dangerous fault.

You have little understanding of Thailand and its wai's! 

"professional driver" ????

5 hours ago, phetpeter said:

Since when would any professional driver purposely get behind the wheel and drive knowing of a dangerous fault. I would drive the bus directly to the testing station or have spoken to a traffic cop about the problem and have him "stop me" for a safety check. so the company would have no blame for the driver! But the driver losing control and crashing doesn't ring true to his claim. Knowing the steering problem he still drove at speed. So he is a dangerous driver willing to take risks.

You live in what country?? This is Thailand and the driver's family depends on his income. Repairs are done when the vehicle is not capable of moving on the road. Never a though about prevention.

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

So, back to the drawing board on the GPS stopping accidents and start sticking the stickers on the drivers

The companies need to be monitor just as much as the driver, once they are in step so will the drivers. It really starts at the top!

The DLT need to start doing their job they make the rules which yes are in place already but for whatever reason do not enforce their own rules.

Operating companies need to carry enough insurance until there are heavy penalties and punitive damages large enough to make them take notice  they will never change. Enforce the current rules companies need to maintain their fleet and keep records for inspection by official, vets drivers prior to hire each vehicle must have a maintenance log book daily prior to vehicles being in service daily this is to protect the driver. In this case, without one it is he said she said!

22 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"four hammers" !

An absolute prerequisite on any bus. Don't leave home without it (the hammers).

Nice to see that the bus operators have their priorities straight.

Archived