A nice story for the Thai-bashers

Lacessit

10 hours ago, villagefarang said:

Breakfast in Chiangrai can be beautiful and people can be amazing.  Glad you had a positive experience while here.????

1041865856_BreakfastatChiwitThammaDa-1.jpg.c4893c0065f28f7345f24be21803e7f0.jpg

What're the brown things in the glass, and is that melted cheese flowing off the toast with the yellow stuff on it- what's the yellow stuff? I guess it's a Thai version of what they think a farang likes.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And for the farang haters to balance this out, I once  pulled into a  service station where a group of Thai cyclists were all  looking at one of their compatriots very low but not flat tyre, now when I was a kid  and being practical I ALWAyS carried a puncture  repair outfit and pump...those were the days when kids learnt practical skills  form their dad instead of painting their  nails and pretending to be a girl...i digress.

I go into the back of my car and pull out my electric pump and pump the tyre up for him....they all look amazed??? and the tyre holds up so maybe it  just wasnt inflated properly when they set out? Off I go, still baffled as why in a  whole  group none  of them carried a pump or repair  kit....

16 hours ago, robblok said:

what did you do.. you cant post positive stories on the message board. This board is dedicated to OAP's that love to moan and put down Thais. You cant do anything to endanger that.

Prepare to be crucified. 

Be fair, people rarely remember the good  things in life.

12 hours ago, Denim said:

At a pinch 7/11  will do you a toasted ham and cheese sandwich 

and a hot coffee.

Yes, but I preferred the places on the edges of every town that cater for the truck drivers. They open early and get a decent brekkie there.

Pai has some brilliant views to go with the restaurants on the Chiang Mai side of town. 

6 minutes ago, Chazar said:

And for the farang haters to balance this out, I once  pulled into a  service station where a group of Thai cyclists were all  looking at one of their compatriots very low but not flat tyre, now when I was a kid  and being practical I ALWAyS carried a puncture  repair outfit and pump...those were the days when kids learnt practical skills  form their dad instead of painting their  nails and pretending to be a girl...i digress.

I go into the back of my car and pull out my electric pump and pump the tyre up for him....they all look amazed??? and the tyre holds up so maybe it  just wasnt inflated properly when they set out? Off I go, still baffled as why in a  whole  group none  of them carried a pump or repair  kit....

I'm baffled why you had to pump up the tyre when every service station I used has a compressor to pump up tyres.

Neverthless, I too carry a battery powered compressor in my car.

17 hours ago, tifino said:

Yep!!! certainly different to ChiangMai  

Before I read anymore posts, I feel compelled to relate my (opposing) Chiang Mai breakfast experience.

I was solo at the time when I went for breakfast. When finished (great breakfast), I reached into my pocket for some baht and suddenly realized that when I changed my clothes that morning, I must have forgot to transfer the money over to the new clothes.

I told the waitress. She said, "that's okay, don't worry about it" (Hello CM).

Confounded that I had done this, I kept digging into my cargo shorts pockets. And sure as sugar, I found the pocket full of baht. The understanding waitress was well looked after.

Just now, neeray said:

I told the waitress. She said, "that's okay, don't worry about it" (Hello CM).

Confounded that I had done this, I kept digging into my cargo shorts pockets. And sure as sugar, I found the pocket full of baht. The understanding waitress was well looked after.

The understanding waitress was well looked after !!!!

Wow, hope it was only finance wise.:cheesy::cheesy:

23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That could do with the fact that bad things happen more often than good. The mere fact that this thread exists is testimony to that. A good event is rare enough to make a thread out of.

I seem to see a lot of whinging threads on TV. Some of which are justified, such as Thai driving skills.

Bad things get more publicity, because bad news sells. Good things aren't enough to feed the hunger for sensationalism.

When I see a thread where some poster with the IQ of a sea urchin is moaning because he had to wait for a few minutes, or got short-changed a few baht, it is a strain for me to stay within forum rules.

I just remembered a "good" experience I had in LOS.

New in town and green as grass, went to a bar near Patpong Rd. Bought a drink for myself, non English speaking lass comes and sits with me. waiter asks if I will buy her a drink. Assume it's same price as mine and say yes. Bill comes and not enough cash on me.

Expecting to get a hiding, but waiter says "no problem", and I just pay for my drink. Leave bar unscathed, and happy to be uninjured. Thank you waiter man from decades ago.

PS I went back and paid for her drink later, but I didn't have to.

Nice tale sir, this kind of thing happens to me now and then.

Am amusing story not in any way related to yours,

One day a very old man came down my soi on his pushbike, crying "Rap Meet", which I know means knife sharpening, so I halted him, went into my house and came out with a dozen kitchen knives.

He set down his little wooden platform, got his stone ready and began to sharpen.

He noticed that I was very close by and watching him intently and after a while, he asked me why the attention?

I explained that if I watch his every move, then I too, would be able to sharpen knives as he can.

He smiled and said, you can watch all day and night, but you won't be able to sharpen the blade like me.

He was absolutely right of course!

19 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I seem to see a lot of whinging threads on TV. Some of which are justified, such as Thai driving skills.

Bad things get more publicity, because bad news sells. Good things aren't enough to feed the hunger for sensationalism.

When I see a thread where some poster with the IQ of a sea urchin is moaning because he had to wait for a few minutes, or got short-changed a few baht, it is a strain for me to stay within forum rules.

I would even go as far to suggest that watching the news (nothing but negative stuff) makes people look for the bad!

11 hours ago, villagefarang said:

Breakfast in Chiangrai can be beautiful and people can be amazing.  Glad you had a positive experience while here.????

1041865856_BreakfastatChiwitThammaDa-1.jpg.c4893c0065f28f7345f24be21803e7f0.jpg

Love how they give you just 4 slices of fried potato and a half cup of ketchup. 

Looks sufficient and tasty though!

17 hours ago, robblok said:

what did you do.. you cant post positive stories on the message board. This board is dedicated to OAP's that love to moan and put down Thais. You cant do anything to endanger that.

Prepare to be crucified. 

Not just spiteful ageist nonsense but innacurate nonesense. As I would expect from generation pantywaist. I have had the fortune to have been travelling around Thailand for about 3 decades and have been the recipient of kind gestures frequently. Alas a new type of low class visitor has spoilt things here. Half educated Generation Yob, from the UK and elsewhere, self centred and disrespectful they just need a half of bad lager, a pair of flip flops,  crusty sheets and screen showing sport to satisfy their curiosity and think they are living the dream.

18 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I am quite astonished when I offer 300 baht and the person refuses payment. I occasionally do random acts of kindness myself, but this was one out of the box.

Yet a great way to promote the hotel. 

Likely thinking you and GF may be back to spend some real baht by spending a weekend at their hotel sometime.

5 minutes ago, geronimo said:

I would even go as far to suggest that watching the news (nothing but negative stuff) makes people look for the bad!

As the saying goes, "if it bleeds, it leads".

1 minute ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Not just spiteful ageist nonsense but innacurate nonesense. As I would expect from generation pantywaist. I have had the fortune to have been travelling around Thailand for about 3 decades and have been the recipient of kind gestures frequently. Alas a new type of low class visitor has spoilt things here. Half educated Generation Yob, from the UK and elsewhere, self centred and disrespectful they just need a half of bad lager, a pair of flip flops,  crusty sheets and screen showing sport to satisfy their curiosity and think they are living the dream.

well said Sir!

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Nice. Is that Phu Chi Fa? ? As a starting point, Chiang Rai is much better situated for attractions such as Phu Chi Fa, Doi Tung, Mae Sai, Doi Mae Salong, Singha Park etc. Wat Sang Kaew Phothiyan is far bigger and more spectacular than the White Temple.

AFAIK the nightlife in Chiang Mai has not changed, just the bar girls are older. The bar scene in Chiang Rai has definitely contracted from ten years ago.

No, that is Phu Chi Dao which is next along that mountain range.  On a clear day one can see Phu Chi Fa off in the distance but it is hiding behind the clouds in this shot.  Phu Chi Duan and Doi Pha Mon are also nice hikes on the way to Doi Pha Tang.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What're the brown things in the glass, and is that melted cheese flowing off the toast with the yellow stuff on it- what's the yellow stuff? I guess it's a Thai version of what they think a farang likes.

Those brown things are potato wedges.  As for the rest, it is eggs Benedict with smoked salmon, bacon on rye toast and covered with Hollandaise sauce.  Here is the same dish on a different day.  This farang actually likes this dish and it is my go to breakfast at this restaurant.

1444387091_breakfast-3.jpg.5086b0d173a3bee465ee7ed7585bb3d4.jpg

2 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

Those brown things are potato wedges.  As for the rest, it is eggs Benedict with smoked salmon, bacon on rye toast and covered with Hollandaise sauce.  Here is the same dish on a different day.  This farang actually likes this dish and it is my go to breakfast at this restaurant.

Must admit, I wouldn't pass that by myself!

3 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

You'll have to excuse him. i understand the cuisine in Antarctica doesn't run to eggs Benedict.

10 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

From an American: that looks tasty, where is the main course.

From a German: What, No Muesli?

From a Brit: What, no beans.

From an Aussie: What, no Vegemite?

From a Venezuelan: Kids, sit down, breakfastlunchdinner is here.

OK Ill put down the bong and go to bed.

I think I've finally worked out the American fetish for iced water with all meals. It's to paralyze the taste buds.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm baffled why you had to pump up the tyre when every service station I used has a compressor to pump up tyres.

Neverthless, I too carry a battery powered compressor in my car.

I was right next to them  at the time close to 7-11 entrance, they were all bewildered as to "what to do", maybe they didnt know air was available, I didnt know it was at that particular station but then I carry an electric 12v  pump anyway as  well as  jumper  leads  tow  hook, spare  battery engine  body  panels  first aid  kit  rocket  launcher etcc etc

35 minutes ago, geronimo said:

He smiled and said, you can watch all day and night, but you won't be able to sharpen the blade like me

Yes, there is a lot of skill in doing it the old way and I was never much good at it.

Then one day I was strolling down Chinatown when I saw a man giving demos on how to use the little round knife sharpener he was selling for 100 baht.

I bought one and on arriving home ran all our knives through it. Result was absolutely razor sharp knives done in a few minutes.

I was so impressed with this gadget that I bought several more to give to family and friends.

1 minute ago, Denim said:

Yes, there is a lot of skill in doing it the old way and I was never much good at it.

Then one day I was strolling down Chinatown when I saw a man giving demos on how to use the little round knife sharpener he was selling for 100 baht.

I bought one and on arriving home ran all our knives through it. Result was absolutely razor sharp knives done in a few minutes.

I was so impressed with this gadget that I bought several more to give to family and friends.

aaah, automation is taking us over!

Archived