A nice story for the Thai-bashers

Lacessit

Yep, I've lost count of the amount of times Thais have helped me when had a puncture or run out of benzine on the bike..pushing me all the way to a gas station...early hours, raining, middle of nowhere..at home that would never happen, more than likely, would mug me and nick the bike..its acts of of true kindness like that I think that originally attracted most of us to Thailand.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

99% of my daily encounters with both foreigners and Thai's in Thailand are positive. 

Same here.

Last bad experience was about 3 months ago, as I was putting my items on the checkout at Tesco Lotus, an older Thai lady just walked straight up to the counter, elbowed me out of the way and shoved a wad of bills at the cashier. I was gobsmacked - I get people queue jumping me all the time but this was super rude.

Prior to that was about a year ago at Mr DIY when the guy gave me the "no hab" BS which really annoys me now, especially when I ask for what I want in Thai. 

So that's a pretty good run really.

51 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Not just spiteful ageist nonsense but innacurate nonesense. As I would expect from generation pantywaist. I have had the fortune to have been travelling around Thailand for about 3 decades and have been the recipient of kind gestures frequently. Alas a new type of low class visitor has spoilt things here. Half educated Generation Yob, from the UK and elsewhere, self centred and disrespectful they just need a half of bad lager, a pair of flip flops,  crusty sheets and screen showing sport to satisfy their curiosity and think they are living the dream.

Nope sorry in my time here I have seen that the OAPS moan more then anyone especially those from the UK. I always thought the Dutch were the number 1 moaner but those in the UK can beat the Dutch. 

Young guys seem to have a far more positive attitude then the old bitter guys I have seen. 

36 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I think I've finally worked out the American fetish for iced water with all meals. It's to paralyze the taste buds.

leastways we don't kill our sex partners for chops after shaving them for sweaters. Crikey!

56 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

Those brown things are potato wedges.  As for the rest, it is eggs Benedict with smoked salmon, bacon on rye toast and covered with Hollandaise sauce.  Here is the same dish on a different day.  This farang actually likes this dish and it is my go to breakfast at this restaurant.

1444387091_breakfast-3.jpg.5086b0d173a3bee465ee7ed7585bb3d4.jpg

The bacon looks correctly done. Is it real hickory bacon (meaning American) then, or the insipid Thai version?

54 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You'll have to excuse him. i understand the cuisine in Antarctica doesn't run to eggs Benedict.

Whose the closest to Antartica then? Oh, yes, I know, Oz gave us Outback Steakhouse, the go to Restaurant for 17 year olds to take their gfs to before they start fumbling with the pretty pink panties. Here baby Im tking you to a fancy place its real Australian cuisine.

Naw dude, real Australian cuisine is a creepy crawly stick roasted over a eucalyptus wood, with a sublime can of stolen beans. Leastaways US yanks gave the world tomatoes,  Hoppin John, corn, pizza, Mac and Cheese and the ulitmate world food.....

The Burger. You would all be whinging more about food if there werent any burgers to save you. Its like a post "O yes, I dont eat western food any more since I came to Thailand, I prefer some stir fried frog and waterbugs with my Chang". Yeah dude, then they catch you stuffing Big Macs in your craw. Next time lose the socks, sandals and singlet, OK?, you are easy to spot.

Speaking of real American food, my bro Eddie over on Soi Pridi 2 (Be Kine Kool Restaurant) has REAL American style baby ribs (fall off the bone) as well as Mac and Cheese..real cheese. You phood Philistines ought to try it.

9 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

All I can say is that it tasted good.

Yeah, Thai people dont usually know how to do bacon. I tried to teach the auntie in the place that I go near Hua Lamphong how to cook a right rasher, instead I end up with the limp pieces of thin pork belly like you find in the bottom of the Baked Goong and Glass Noodles. So I gave up and just order the chicken sausage with my omelet.

I think Thai people are some of the friendliest people on this planet.  The only negative experiences I have ever had was with Thai Immigration and a couple of past Thai girlfriends, who were probably a little too focused on separating me from money they thought should be theirs.

13 hours ago, villagefarang said:

Breakfast in Chiangrai can be beautiful and people can be amazing.  Glad you had a positive experience while here.????

1041865856_BreakfastatChiwitThammaDa-1.jpg.c4893c0065f28f7345f24be21803e7f0.jpg

Chips and ketchup in shot glasses is kitch but a bloody aspidistra in a gravy boat?! Come on!

4 out of 10

1 hour ago, villagefarang said:

Those brown things are potato wedges.  As for the rest, it is eggs Benedict with smoked salmon, bacon on rye toast and covered with Hollandaise sauce.  Here is the same dish on a different day.  This farang actually likes this dish and it is my go to breakfast at this restaurant.

Thanks. I like more spud than that though, and I didn't see the bacon in the first photo.

Perhaps I'll try that sauce on eggs sometime.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm baffled why you had to pump up the tyre when every service station I used has a compressor to pump up tyres.

Neverthless, I too carry a battery powered compressor in my car.

If you checked out any other gas station apart from (most) PTT's, you would find that having a working compressor and an air line is almost standard. However, having a working tire filler valve on the end of the air line, even if it is long enough, is always completely optional.

2 hours ago, neeray said:

Before I read anymore posts, I feel compelled to relate my (opposing) Chiang Mai breakfast experience.

I was solo at the time when I went for breakfast. When finished (great breakfast), I reached into my pocket for some baht and suddenly realized that when I changed my clothes that morning, I must have forgot to transfer the money over to the new clothes.

I told the waitress. She said, "that's okay, don't worry about it" (Hello CM).

Confounded that I had done this, I kept digging into my cargo shorts pockets. And sure as sugar, I found the pocket full of baht. The understanding waitress was well looked after.

But did you ever go back?

1 hour ago, geronimo said:
1 hour ago, villagefarang said:

Must admit, I wouldn't pass that by myself!

Yeah, me too... if villagefarang is buying.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

You'll have to excuse him. i understand the cuisine in Antarctica doesn't run to eggs Benedict.

Never had eggs that way in my life. I'll have to give them a try sometime.

Ah Antarctica. Best year of my life bar none. Back in the day before Scott Base became more like an hotel than an outpost beyond the edge of civilisation, back when it was a man's world and women were absent, back when we ate man's food and killed seals to feed the dogs, back when it felt like living every day and not just going through the motions, back when being careless could kill one, and if we got injured there was no way to get back to civilization during the winter, or one could lose a nose or an ear just because one looked into the wind, back when water was hard to come by, and we had to throw lumps of thousand year old ice into a melter- no showers every day for us!

I could go on all day about Antarctica, but I'll spare you.

It was great though.

Sorry for being off topic.

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Yes, there is a lot of skill in doing it the old way and I was never much good at it.

Then one day I was strolling down Chinatown when I saw a man giving demos on how to use the little round knife sharpener he was selling for 100 baht.

I bought one and on arriving home ran all our knives through it. Result was absolutely razor sharp knives done in a few minutes.

I was so impressed with this gadget that I bought several more to give to family and friends.

Reminds me of the time I went to a roadshow in the UK. Guy was demonstrating glass cutters and I was so impressed I bought two.

They were rubbish though. I worked out later the guy had a diamond in his- damn, conned again.

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

Prior to that was about a year ago at Mr DIY when the guy gave me the "no hab" BS which really annoys me now, especially when I ask for what I want in Thai.

Knowing the layout in most Mr. D.I.Y.'s where everything they 'hab' is out there on the shelves and racks, maybe it wasn't BS when you couldn't find what you wanted and he said 'no hab'?

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

before they start fumbling with the pretty pink panties.

My, things have changed since I was a teenager. We used to fumble with the bra for a bit first.

Now it sounds like they go straight for the jugular (the pretty pink panties).

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

But did you ever go back?

Yes, have returned to the same place several times. Never did encounter "the understanding waitress" again.

After that one time, my gf arrived. When she's with me, I just let her handle the money (poor waitress though, no tip from the gf, unless I intercede).

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

nasty looking pieces of pink meat

That is peameal bacon.

Some enlightenment for you here from Wiki.

Peameal bacon is a wet-cured, unsmoked back bacon made from trimmed lean boneless pork loin rolled in cornmeal and is found mainly in Southern Ontario. Toronto pork packer William Davies, who came to Canada from England in 1854, is credited with its development. Wikipedia

Archived