A nice story for the Thai-bashers

Lacessit

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, neeray said:

That is peameal bacon.

Some enlightenment for you here from Wiki.

Peameal bacon is a wet-cured, unsmoked back bacon made from trimmed lean boneless pork loin rolled in cornmeal and is found mainly in Southern Ontario. Toronto pork packer William Davies, who came to Canada from England in 1854, is credited with its development. Wikipedia

Naw that aint pealmeal. Why isnt it round or shaped correctly? Looks all hacked like the meat in the Donner Pass.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Never had eggs that way in my life. I'll have to give them a try sometime.

Ah Antarctica. Best year of my life bar none. Back in the day before Scott Base became more like an hotel than an outpost beyond the edge of civilisation, back when it was a man's world and women were absent, back when we ate man's food and killed seals to feed the dogs, back when it felt like living every day and not just going through the motions, back when being careless could kill one, and if we got injured there was no way to get back to civilization during the winter, or one could lose a nose or an ear just because one looked into the wind, back when water was hard to come by, and we had to throw lumps of thousand year old ice into a melter- no showers every day for us!

I could go on all day about Antarctica, but I'll spare you.

It was great though.

Sorry for being off topic.

No problem, good-natured posts always welcome.

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Same reason why Aussie beer is served icy cold in an icy cold glass.

It's hot in Australia. Perhaps you've never been there to experience the feeling of having dust rinsed from your throat. Warm beer just doesn't cut it.

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It's hot in Australia. Perhaps you've never been there to experience the feeling of having dust rinsed from your throat. Warm beer just doesn't cut it.

Accumulative 4 years working and living in Australia. Drove the Strzelecki trail when I was just a young strop so yes, I know all about bull dust and beer. The last gig was a mere two months ago in the Pilbara.

Boag's is good but that's not from the sunburnt bit of the country.

6 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Whose the closest to Antartica then? Oh, yes, I know, Oz gave us Outback Steakhouse, the go to Restaurant for 17 year olds to take their gfs to before they start fumbling with the pretty pink panties. Here baby Im tking you to a fancy place its real Australian cuisine.

Naw dude, real Australian cuisine is a creepy crawly stick roasted over a eucalyptus wood, with a sublime can of stolen beans. Leastaways US yanks gave the world tomatoes,  Hoppin John, corn, pizza, Mac and Cheese and the ulitmate world food.....

The Burger. You would all be whinging more about food if there werent any burgers to save you. Its like a post "O yes, I dont eat western food any more since I came to Thailand, I prefer some stir fried frog and waterbugs with my Chang". Yeah dude, then they catch you stuffing Big Macs in your craw. Next time lose the socks, sandals and singlet, OK?, you are easy to spot.

Speaking of real American food, my bro Eddie over on Soi Pridi 2 (Be Kine Kool Restaurant) has REAL American style baby ribs (fall off the bone) as well as Mac and Cheese..real cheese. You phood Philistines ought to try it.

This thread is about breakfast. Not the day long orgy of eating for which your countrymen have achieved universal fame.

Pray tell, what have Americans contributed to the breakfast table? I'm partial to sausages for breakfast, and there are some noble examples of the species. Cumberland sausage, boerewors, bratwurst and chorizo.

What do you offer? You stole huevos rancheros from the Mexicans. Link sausages and hot dogs is all.  The illicit mating of pulverized cardboard and gristle. No wonder you need to slather them with Pappy Harlan's Tennessee hickory-smoked tomato sauce. A true sausage needs no embellishment.

FYI, the purpose of Vegemite at the breakfast table is to send a wake-up call to the taste buds.

Now look what you made me do. You've harassed me into a bout of Yank-bashing, when I wanted to keep my thread focused on the positive.

21 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Accumulative 4 years working and living in Australia. Drove the Strzelecki trail when I was just a young strop so yes, I know all about bull dust and beer. The last gig was a mere two months ago in the Pilbara.

Boag's is good but that's not from the sunburnt bit of the country.

Legend has it Emu Bitter, commonly sold in the Pilbara, had arsenic added as a preservative. I don't know if that is still going on.

I worked at Port Hedland from 1966 to 1972. Paid off the mortgage on a house in Melbourne within 18 months. Those were the days.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Dust? :cheesy:

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Pray tell, what have Americans contributed to the breakfast table? I'm partial to sausages for breakfast, and there are some noble examples of the species. Cumberland sausage, boerewors, bratwurst and chorizo.

What do you offer? You stole huevos rancheros from the Mexicans. Link sausages and hot dogs is all.  The illicit mating of pulverized cardboard and gristle. No wonder you need to slather them with Pappy Harlan's Tennessee hickory-smoked tomato sauce. A true sausage needs no embellishment.

FYI, the purpose of Vegemite at the breakfast table is to send a wake-up call to the taste buds.

Now look what you made me do. You've harassed me into a bout of Yank-bashing, when I wanted to keep my thread focused on the positive.

Guess you have never had Livermush. Its your vegemite. And Yank Bashing from an Aussie is like the itch from the solitary remora attached oh so firmly to the vent of the Great White.

25 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Guess you have never had Livermush. Its your vegemite. And Yank Bashing from an Aussie is like the itch from the solitary remora attached oh so firmly to the vent of the Great White.

Still have to scratch it, don't you?

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

This thread is about breakfast. Not the day long orgy of eating for which your countrymen have achieved universal fame.

I've never been able to understand why anyone would actually eat vegemite or marmite. both equally revolting:-)

This thread has inspired me. Today I bought some Hollandaise sauce and English muffins. Next morning will be the test.

It'll be a far cry from that Chiang Rai breakfast but so too will be the price.

2 hours ago, neeray said:

This thread has inspired me. Today I bought some Hollandaise sauce and English muffins. Next morning will be the test.

If you've never poached your own eggs before, you'll need an extra day's practice.

...and a dozen eggs.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

If you've never poached your own eggs before, you'll need an extra day's practice.

...and a dozen eggs.

Poaching eggs is easy. Buy one of those Sonata chocolate desserts and consume it. Clean the plastic container. You need a pan with a lid, the induction heaters are ideal.

Oil the inside of the container with canola or olive oil, pour off any excess oil. Crack two eggs into the container.

Put about 1-2 cm of water in the pan, place the container with eggs in the pan. Cover with the lid, bring to the boil. Simmer for 12 -15 minutes, depending on whether you like them runny or firm.

Invert the container over buttered toast, cut into quarters. Salt and pepper, perfect poached eggs.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've never been able to understand why anyone would actually eat vegemite or marmite. both equally revolting:-)

Vegemite is the same as coffee for me. It kickstarts my day. I suffer withdrawal symptoms when I am in most Asian hotels.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

...and a dozen eggs.

I can never get the whites to stay together now.

Strange though, as I used to make poached eggs for 15 staff back when I was younger,and did all right then. It was that or cook the eggs in oil, and even then I knew that was unhealthy.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't drink coffee in the AM either. I don't want to be going through withdrawal like those that are addicted.

Caffeine has the unusual property of being impossible to overdose on by ingestion. There was a scholarly paper written by Professor Ben Selinger of the ANU on the topic.

One coffee in the morning, one in the afternoon. Sometimes not in the afternoon. I wouldn't say I'm addicted.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I can never get the whites to stay together now.

Strange though, as I used to make poached eggs for 15 staff back when I was younger,and did all right then. It was that or cook the eggs in oil, and even then I knew that was unhealthy.

If you want to poach eggs without anything to contain them, the water needs to be salty to get the whites to coagulate quickly.

32 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Poaching eggs is easy. Buy one of those Sonata chocolate desserts and consume it. Clean the plastic container. You need a pan with a lid, the induction heaters are ideal.

Oil the inside of the container with canola or olive oil, pour off any excess oil. Crack two eggs into the container.

Put about 1-2 cm of water in the pan, place the container with eggs in the pan. Cover with the lid, bring to the boil. Simmer for 12 -15 minutes, depending on whether you like them runny or firm.

Invert the container over buttered toast, cut into quarters. Salt and pepper, perfect poached eggs.

As opposed to in the Outback, where you just dump two eggs into an empty can of beans, lay it on the fire and spoon it out? Lets not talk about where you get the salty water. German style poached eggs I reckon.

29 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't drink coffee in the AM either. I don't want to be going through withdrawal like those that are addicted.

I much prefer a carefully brewed Hill Tribe coffee to prune juice for that get up and go feeling.

33 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Vegemite is the same as coffee for me. It kickstarts my day. I suffer withdrawal symptoms when I am in most Asian hotels.

What? Do you slam the stuff then? I hope you use a clean needle.

3 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

As opposed to in the Outback, where you just dump two eggs into an empty can of beans, lay it on the fire and spoon it out? Lets not talk about where you get the salty water. German style poached eggs I reckon.

I much prefer a carefully brewed Hill Tribe coffee to prune juice for that get up and go feeling.

What? Do you slam the stuff then? I hope you use a clean needle.

Sigh. You are now trying to turn my thread of nice feelings into Aussie-bashing.

I'll have you know tough shearers have wept tears of joy over my cuisine of garlic yabbies, rice and cabbage, and have pleaded for second and third helpings.

What about your cooking skills? Can you boil water yet without burning it?

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Can you boil water yet without burning it?

Yah dude Im a gourmet cook. Unfortunately, I look like a cross between Budai and Lord Ganesha, with the schnoz to match and have a prediliction for things like milkfat, schmaltz, lard, palm oil, coconut cream, sweet cream, bacon, butter, ghee, salt eggs and cheese. Accordingly, my very presence in the kitchen is a chlolesterol biohazard.

So like Ill make a sandwhich now and then with that disgusting German Wehrmacht healthbrot  sits up near the Wurstlager area in the Gourmet Market. Other than that, let someone else kill me with their food. Im not suicidal enough to cook it myself.

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Yah dude Im a gourmet cook. Unfortunately, due to the fact that I look like a cross between Budai and Lord Ganesha, with the schnoz to match, my prediliction for things like milkfat, schmaltz, lard, palm oil, coconut cream, sweet cream, bacon, butter, ghee, salt eggs and cheese render my very presence in the kitchen a chlolesterol biohazard.

So like Ill make a sandwhich now and then with that disgusting German Wehrmacht healthbrot  sits up near the Wurstlager area in the Gourmet Market. Other than that, let someone else kill me with their food. Im not suicidal enough to cook it myself.

My gall bladder is telling me to stop reading, or face the consequences.

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

My gall bladder is telling me to stop reading, or face the consequences.

Take a hunk of pumpernickl, spread it a half inch thick with schmalz and a few slices of onion. Perhaps a cup or two of Butter Tea with a Cannoli.  Im sure you have Yaks waaaay up north there.

Mangiare!

25 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Take a hunk of pumpernickl, spread it a half inch thick with schmalz and a few slices of onion. Perhaps a cup or two of Butter Tea with a Cannoli.  Im sure you have Yaks waaaay up north there.

Mangiare!

You don't understand. About a year ago, my son thought I was having a full-on heart attack. All of the symptoms. Carted me off to the emergency department of the nearest hospital, they hook me up to enough wires to make me a living switchboard. ECG says nada, zilch, zip. Except my chest feels like it's being squeezed between two 300 pound Americans in that game you call football.

Turns out I had gall bladder sludge, and the pain was caused by it trying to force bile through the sludge to deal with the Pringles I had ingested earlier. All those foods you were espousing are now verboten to me. I forgive you for your unconscious sadism.

Now, can we get back to breakfasts and random acts of kindness, please?

13 hours ago, neeray said:

Longing for the same. Hope you have been able to find the canadian bacon.

Archived