BANGKOK
Neeranam

Changes in Bangkok

How has Bangkok changed since you came here? I went to Bkk two weeks ago and was astonished with the BTS extensions. I left to go to Isarn when  it only went to Bang Na, Saphan Taksin. There are so many new Shopping Malls!

I remember sitting in the beer garden in MBK every week, watching them build Siam Discovery. Now there is Paragon! 

I cam in 1992 and one thing that has totally changed is Khao San Road. back then there were very few thais that went, apart from interested uni students. There were no Thai bars/night clubs.

Flooding is not as serious. I remember being nearly waist deep on the main roads.

Many more Islam people tourists and Chinese.

Pat Pong is now not very good, vendors were rather rude to me at the market.

Im sure there are many other arras with big changes that I havent seen.

What about you, changes for better or worse, if there is such a thing.

As for Khon Kaen, totally changed from a 'baan nok' town to a major city.

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

flooding is not as serious. I remember being nearly waist deep on the main roads.

They are improving infrastructure fast and our whole soi lower suk was ripped up and a new concrete rd installed with MASSIVE drain pipes and this happing all the way up sukhumvit..Barely a puddle during monsoon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Almost nothing has changed in the past 27 years. Same same but diffullent. True, 1,000 baht gets you a bit less than it used to.

• Sad 1

There was a corner bar up on the third floor of nanaplaza that was an expat hangout

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

There was a corner bar up on the third floor of nanaplaza that was an expat hangout

Cascade's  I think or Mango bar. 

Edited by steven100

10 hours ago, steven100 said:

Nope. Far right corver as you faced it. No girls there. They had food. Nice little place. I met Stickman there.

12 hours ago, steven100 said:

the Big Mango useta have tasty burgers and a good view and cheap Beer Lao on occasion...run by a couple of falangs...

3 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Nope. Far right corver as you faced it. No girls there. They had food. Nice little place. I met Stickman there.

Woodstock?

4 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

Woodstock?

yeah that was it I reckon...when was that there....87?

Just now, Nyezhov said:

yeah that was it I reckon...when was that there....87?

I think it opened in the early 80s.  It was certainly there in 87 when I first came to Bangkok.

• Like 1

I seem to remember there were three tall buildings back then, Indra Hotel, Dusit Hotel and the Chok Chai Building out on Sukhumvit.  No expressway, no skytrain, no cellphones, basically a never-ending list of things big and small.  Life is much easier and more convenient these days.  It can be a bit hard to get your bearings if you have been away for a few years, though.

• Like 1