Changes in Bangkok

Neeranam

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

One of the first big shopping centres, the World Trade Centre, opened in 1990, though MBK beat it by 5 years:

image.png.afc3a0e429844ec4bef432d618526686.png

Now it's Central World:

image.png.e04143b1969b375e394d3946d8e05010.png

Looking up Soi Nana, towards Sukhumvit Road and the Nana Hotel, 1974:

image.png.93c3c80b91cce5f61b0a5cf401217af4.png

More nice comparisons here:

https://whatsonsukhumvit.com/how-sukhumvit-has-changed-over-the-years/

Thanks for the photos - Central Plaza Ladprao opened on Christmas 1982 as the first real mall in Thailand so people had to travel a bit from central area.  Diamaru across from WTC/Central World was another early shopping center although the original Diamaru was where they build WTC.  Gaysorn area next to President Hotel was a good eating/bar venue in the old days.

Just now, lopburi3 said:

Thanks for the photos - Central Plaza Ladprao opened on Christmas 1982 as the first real mall in Thailand so people had to travel a bit from central area.  Diamaru across from WTC/Central World was another early shopping center although the original Diamaru was where they build WTC.  Gaysorn area next to President Hotel was a good eating/bar venue in the old days.

I remember another Thai Daimaru in Prakhanong in the early 90s, along with the Asian, Welco and Edison department stores.  All long gone now.  Another big Japanese department store back then was the Yaohan in what is now Fortune Town.  I also remember going along to the grand opening of Seacon Square in 94.  I must have been a shopping mall junky.

Nice thread to make a chap feel old!  I could write an essay on this topic, so here goes... 

One thing which always hits me about BKK when meeting pals, or the few remaining 'old hands'  from the 'golden years' are talking about some of the things we 'outlived', as in to say, we were there before they were built and remain after they have become rubble (WTC, Clinton Paza, the area between soi 5-7, Soi 0/Buckskin Joes, Soi 10 to name but a few). Now that does make you feel the years. Thankfully Thaksin's 'vision' for turning Bangkok into a huge shopping centre hasn't yet fully materialised and one hopes that developers will allow Bangkok to retain some of her old magic. It is nice to see vendors returning to the streets even if they do clog up the pavements so. It is also sad to see so many of the 'classic RnR era hotels (Federal, Manhattan,  Swan, Golden Palace etc.) getting demolished or 'revamped'. Only the Miami and snobby Atlanta surviving. I used to love those old hotels where in the watches of the night, one could almost still hear the whoops of the GIs and their girls, as one had a late night beer by the pool. 

It also did my soul good to wander around some of the alleys and sois of Banglamphu on a recent trip, though I must admit KSrd has indeed changed with only Nat 2 and Chart seeming to survive the changes. 

The major changes for me have been the MRT systems (BTS, MRT, Expressways) which in the 'before' time, never existed so a 'simple' trip into BKK from the 'burbs, would mean a full days excursion, but gave me plenty of excuses to meet the boys of a Saturday, though the wife would play merry hell with me if I forgot or couldn't find what she wanted...

I think the bar in Nana everyone is on about is definitely the legendary Woodstock.

Even Nana itself has changed, not always for the better, seeming to favour the nasty chrome and Europop style of bar over the 'old school' places like Three Roses, Sexy Night, Hogs Breath, (the old) DC10...

Personally I think PAT PONG is going to be gone in 10 years if not sooner.

People are not interested in the market there and the stalls and the ping pong shoes are over done.

People have been saying that for many a year but still she rides....They've been saying the same about Nana too, for that matter but she too lives on.....

Here's to the greatest city in the world, one I've been privileged and proud to call 'home' for the best part of the last 30 odd years, long may she live and long may she fight off the greedy developers, mad politicians, crazy weather and hordes of 'quality tourists' who don't seem to spend a satang...

3 minutes ago, IvorLott said:

RnR era hotels (Federal, Manhattan,  Swan, Golden Palace etc.)

Actually believe most on actual R&R stayed on New Petchburi Road (by design) where the action was nonstop for them - The above hotels were more frequented by those from the upcountry airbases.  Golden Palace was a personal choice.  Nana and Grace were also popular in that area.

I agree with Blue Scouse. My 1st time to Bangkok in June of 1971. Landed in Don Maung airport. Took a taxi to Bangkok. It was around 10 miles and just about all fields. My 1st time back was 2008 I said what the heck. I would have believed how built up the area got.

On 10/13/2019 at 1:08 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Someone mentioned the 'corner bar on the 3rd floor in nana' - Woodstock. 

Washington Sq. Bourbon St. has moved, although the Tues night Mex buffet remains.

Khao Sarn Rd used to be a great place to hang out (in my 20's) and meet Uni girls (Austins, Suzies, the Club).

Along Sukhumvit: Q'Bar, Ministry of Sound, Bed Supper Club.

I've probably changed as much as the City, I don't bother with clubs anymore. The growth in quality restaurants has been phenomenal.

So many more shopping malls, arguably too many.

The Skyline, more taller buildings, a lot more huge Apartment Complexes.. the Price of accommodation has also skyrocketed in Bangkok. 

The beer gardens in front Central World (formerly known as WTC) for about 3 months of the year. 

Skytrain, obviously. 

Any further out than Thonglor used to be considered 'out of town', Bang Na seemed like a different province. Now On Nut is considered relatively central and Udom Suk is seeing some significant development.

Wow, forgot about Suzies

On 10/14/2019 at 7:10 PM, holy cow cm said:

The beer bars were on the left side just before the tracks, but the oldie would have been on the opposite side of the road just before crossing the tracks sort of in a cut off Sukhumvit road and was the late late drinking open air made of nothing place. No walls just chairs etc and a roof.  Thai locals and girls would go to drink after all had closed just to continue on. That was the first train tracks watering hole for after Nana hours.

Soi 0?

Bangkok has changed a lot over the years as have most other large mega-cities.  The move from the backpacker area of Soi Ngam Dupli, and Soi Sribamphen, which forms a T-intersection with Soi Ngam Dupli to Khao San Road.  Buying the Bangkok Post for 8 baht.  No internet, no expressways, no MRT or BTS.  No malls yet but Siam Square was the place to go.  There were taxis but no meters.  The list just goes on and on.  

I'm a relative newbie compared to most of you guys, first visit being in 2001. I'd love to have seen the place back in the 70s, 80s and 90s. But for what it's worth I miss:

Gullivers on Khao San Road

Nana Hotel disco for after hours (followed by Climax, Ambassador Hotel suk soi 11, now also closed)

Muzik Cafe, Patpong - like a cave inside, great live band, filled up from midnight. Still there but virtually empty every night. 

The old beer gardens (I think only 1 remains now, on Soi 7?)

4 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Bangkok has changed a lot over the years as have most other large mega-cities.  The move from the backpacker area of Soi Ngam Dupli, and Soi Sribamphen, which forms a T-intersection with Soi Ngam Dupli to Khao San Road.  Buying the Bangkok Post for 8 baht.  No internet, no expressways, no MRT or BTS.  No malls yet but Siam Square was the place to go.  There were taxis but no meters.  The list just goes on and on.  

Actually the taxis had meters but drivers normally used them to hang their hats - you always had to bargain a price before travel.  Siam Square was indeed the organized area with the 3 most modern movie theaters of the time and home of the original Neil's Tavern (from 1969) for some great steaks.

Anyone else ever go to the Nasa disco, or rather "spaceadrome" out on Ramkamhaeng road back in the late 80s/early 90s?  It was world famous back in the day, with the NYT even writing a piece on it: 

"The National Aeronautics and Space Administration may have its troubles at home, but over here on the other side of the world, NASA is the hottest name in town. NASA is a discotheque. No, a "spaceadrome"--a $3.85 million hangar-size contraption resting on moon-landing legs on the outskirts of Bangkok. It takes a lot to attract the attention of Bangkok's residents, who live in a world of pleasure palaces that leave no sense untempted. But NASA has in two months managed to become the place that everybody has to visit--5,000 or more people on weekends. Everybody includes diplomats, film stars, business leaders, politicians and a few titled people. The very, very V.I.P. merit a booth of black glass so they can see and not be seen".

When I was living in Singapore from 87 - 90 I used to come to Thailand fairly regularly for work, and it was the in place to go for a night out.  People back in Singapore who had never even been to Bangkok would ask about it.  The two things I remember most are, at midnight a big spaceship would descend from the ceiling, and it was the first ever place I went to with a guy handing out hot towels, and providing shoulder massages, in the toilets. 

This was taken in 2005, when it had been closed down for a number of years.  

image.png.242161feb65e78d3a4c784ac8fe7bfd7.png

It was torn down shortly after, but the name lives on in the Nasa Vegas complex across the road from where it used to be.

image.png.a2db35190e0d2cda77d319ecb068b155.png

When I moved here full time in 1990, the next place to go was Narcissus, off Soi 23, which was open till 6am, and a lot closer to stagger home from. Now it's called Narz, I believe, but I haven't been there for at least 20 years.

10 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually the taxis had meters but drivers normally used them to hang their hats - you always had to bargain a price before travel. 

No meters back in the late 70's early 80's.  According to the Bangkok Post, taxi meters were first used in 1992.  I thought it was 1990 but it was a welcome relief once they were up and operating and more commonplace.......provided you could get them to use them!

Archived