BANGKOK
Neeranam

Changes in Bangkok

10 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

One of the first big shopping centres, the World Trade Centre, opened in 1990, though MBK beat it by 5 years:

image.png.afc3a0e429844ec4bef432d618526686.png

Now it's Central World:

image.png.e04143b1969b375e394d3946d8e05010.png

Looking up Soi Nana, towards Sukhumvit Road and the Nana Hotel, 1974:

image.png.93c3c80b91cce5f61b0a5cf401217af4.png

More nice comparisons here:

https://whatsonsukhumvit.com/how-sukhumvit-has-changed-over-the-years/

Thanks for the photos - Central Plaza Ladprao opened on Christmas 1982 as the first real mall in Thailand so people had to travel a bit from central area.  Diamaru across from WTC/Central World was another early shopping center although the original Diamaru was where they build WTC.  Gaysorn area next to President Hotel was a good eating/bar venue in the old days.

• Like 1

Just now, lopburi3 said:

Thanks for the photos - Central Plaza Ladprao opened on Christmas 1982 as the first real mall in Thailand so people had to travel a bit from central area.  Diamaru across from WTC/Central World was another early shopping center although the original Diamaru was where they build WTC.  Gaysorn area next to President Hotel was a good eating/bar venue in the old days.

I remember another Thai Daimaru in Prakhanong in the early 90s, along with the Asian, Welco and Edison department stores.  All long gone now.  Another big Japanese department store back then was the Yaohan in what is now Fortune Town.  I also remember going along to the grand opening of Seacon Square in 94.  I must have been a shopping mall junky.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IvorLott said:

RnR era hotels (Federal, Manhattan,  Swan, Golden Palace etc.)

Actually believe most on actual R&R stayed on New Petchburi Road (by design) where the action was nonstop for them - The above hotels were more frequented by those from the upcountry airbases.  Golden Palace was a personal choice.  Nana and Grace were also popular in that area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Blue Scouse. My 1st time to Bangkok in June of 1971. Landed in Don Maung airport. Took a taxi to Bangkok. It was around 10 miles and just about all fields. My 1st time back was 2008 I said what the heck. I would have believed how built up the area got.

On 10/13/2019 at 5:13 AM, bergen said:

I miss Washington Square……. 😀

I went to the new restaurant bourbon street on Ekamai, very good 

On 10/13/2019 at 1:08 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Someone mentioned the 'corner bar on the 3rd floor in nana' - Woodstock. 

Washington Sq. Bourbon St. has moved, although the Tues night Mex buffet remains.

Khao Sarn Rd used to be a great place to hang out (in my 20's) and meet Uni girls (Austins, Suzies, the Club).

Along Sukhumvit: Q'Bar, Ministry of Sound, Bed Supper Club.

I've probably changed as much as the City, I don't bother with clubs anymore. The growth in quality restaurants has been phenomenal.

So many more shopping malls, arguably too many.

The Skyline, more taller buildings, a lot more huge Apartment Complexes.. the Price of accommodation has also skyrocketed in Bangkok. 

The beer gardens in front Central World (formerly known as WTC) for about 3 months of the year. 

Skytrain, obviously. 

Any further out than Thonglor used to be considered 'out of town', Bang Na seemed like a different province. Now On Nut is considered relatively central and Udom Suk is seeing some significant development.

Wow, forgot about Suzies

On 10/14/2019 at 7:10 PM, holy cow cm said:

The beer bars were on the left side just before the tracks, but the oldie would have been on the opposite side of the road just before crossing the tracks sort of in a cut off Sukhumvit road and was the late late drinking open air made of nothing place. No walls just chairs etc and a roof.  Thai locals and girls would go to drink after all had closed just to continue on. That was the first train tracks watering hole for after Nana hours.

Soi 0?

• Like 1

This is a depressing topic because it reminds me of how old I'm getting.  I won't even think about the changes in places like New York City

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I went to the new restaurant bourbon street on Ekamai, very good 

Agreed, one of my favs….

On 10/12/2019 at 6:34 AM, Nyezhov said:

There was a corner bar up on the third floor of nanaplaza that was an expat hangout

Woodstock?

• Like 1

I miss Bangkok Beat on soi7/1. Also the old Koa San Rd. The way it used to be. Lower Sukhumvit has not changed too much but soi 22 where i first lived is unrecoganizable, totally changed