Changes in Bangkok

Neeranam

5 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

No meters back in the late 70's early 80's.  According to the Bangkok Post, taxi meters were first used in 1992.  I thought it was 1990 but it was a welcome relief once they were up and operating and more commonplace.......provided you could get them to use them!

Don't rely on BP.  They had the old flag type meters in the 60's but as said never used for anything but holding caps.  In 1992 they made use of meters mandatory and new cars with the candy colors.    

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Twigtom said:

Used to be able to drive into Nana square and park the car

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Totally forgot the downstairs at Nana was a parking lot. Was also the greatest fun for a water festival. Now couldn’t catch me there for one as just isn’t the same. Loy Kratong was absolutely dangerous as hell there with all the fireworks and bombs. Most I do at nana now is sit and have a beer on an outside Soi 4 bar and watch the girls, people and freaks walking in at when it is about opening. 

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Yeah, that rooftop was a laugh. On the corner wasnt it? Or just round the corner, near where a normal Western pub came.

Yeah, on the corner.  Pretty much everyone in the place completely off their faces watching the sun come up....

17 hours ago, Neeranam said:

How about the original Thermae bar, before about 1996 when you entered through the toilet lol. 

It has been mentioned already but it certainly was odd. Those were the days when Bangkok and Thermae was fun and alive different. Too many times crawled co9ming from there or Nana back to my hotel just before the sun started popping up just to go into the packed down stairs restaurant to have a few more beers. So funny and fun as everyone had a chick on one arm. That was the Crown Hotel Soi 6 back in the day.

Archived