Jump to content
BANGKOK
toast1

Oil change

Recommended Posts

I change oil every year, but this year I haven't driven much, just a few thousand miles around town.
Is it still necessary to change my oil?

Can I put it off till 18mo or is this putting my engine in danger?

 

How often do people change their petrol filter?



Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Use the "dipstick"  to check the colour of the oil  if its still golden then  I would keep using it  till it starts turning dark, if its black already then change the oil.

 

Petrol filter..never changed one on a car...but if its blocked up then change it..if not leave it alone 😋

Edited by johng

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could probably put it off until 18 months without causing damage, after all these days with condition based servicing cars can easily go that long or more between changes. But for the small cost I'd get it changed personally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:54 PM, transam said:

You get condensation (water) inside the engine, one of the reasons they advise to change at a km reading or 6 months...

 

Depending on the ride, but for grocery-getters I use this guide..

 

But basic mineral oil at 5000km..

Semi-synthetic at 10,000km..

Synthetic 10 to 15,000km..

 

Fuel filter, look in the handbook, you may have a dash warning light for that...

PS. The dark colour of an oil doesn't necessarily mean it's finished..

So you can go 10/15th on full syn oil. Funny that as Toyo suggest 5 to 10th for a diesel depending on where/how you use your car. High speed or heavy traffic. The main thing is the filter. That will never last over 10th. As some one pointed out it only cost a few bob so get it done.

 

Petrol filter it's recommended that you check at 30th if it needs changing do it. If not just keep an eye on it.

All the above is for Toyota Diesel cars. Other makes and models might differ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

So you can go 10/15th on full syn oil. Funny that as Toyo suggest 5 to 10th for a diesel depending on where/how you use your car. High speed or heavy traffic. The main thing is the filter. That will never last over 10th. As some one pointed out it only cost a few bob so get it done.

 

Petrol filter it's recommended that you check at 30th if it needs changing do it. If not just keep an eye on it.

All the above is for Toyota Diesel cars. Other makes and models might differ.

I never ever changed a Petrol filter and my car is 24 years old, yes I do just a normal

service every 10 months but I need to change my battery after a few years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, fredob43 said:

So you can go 10/15th on full syn oil. Funny that as Toyo suggest 5 to 10th for a diesel depending on where/how you use your car. High speed or heavy traffic. The main thing is the filter. That will never last over 10th. As some one pointed out it only cost a few bob so get it done.

 

Petrol filter it's recommended that you check at 30th if it needs changing do it. If not just keep an eye on it.

All the above is for Toyota Diesel cars. Other makes and models might differ.

Ford Everett is 15,000 km or nine months between services.

I feel that there are too many pub mechanics on this forum.

Edited by JAS21
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Ford Everett is 15,000 km or nine months between services.

I feel that there are too many pub mechanics on this forum.

15th sounds quite a lot between services for a Diesel. Normally it's 6th Miles or 10th KM.

 

Whatever Toyota suggest between 5 and 10th KM depending on how used. Lots of Short runs, high speed runs, or heavy traffic. And that's using Full Syn oil. 

It was the same on the old 3lt Tuna and that use semi Syn oil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, fredob43 said:

So you can go 10/15th on full syn oil. Funny that as Toyo suggest 5 to 10th for a diesel depending on where/how you use your car. High speed or heavy traffic. The main thing is the filter. That will never last over 10th. As some one pointed out it only cost a few bob so get it done.

 

Petrol filter it's recommended that you check at 30th if it needs changing do it. If not just keep an eye on it.

All the above is for Toyota Diesel cars. Other makes and models might differ.

You really should do some homework before posting and read the post you are replying to carefully...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, transam said:

You really should do some homework before posting and read the post you are replying to carefully...

I did for your information read the post. And I replied accordingly. If you read my post I said the above was for Toyo diesel engines. The OP didn't say what car he had. I just put in what you should do if you had a Toyo Diesel engine.

 

Re home work I do look in the book, and if it says what you should do I do it. I happen to think that Toyo know a bit more on the cars they make, than some peeps on TVF. 

Edited by fredob43

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I did for your information read the post. And I replied accordingly. If you read my post I said the above was for Toyo diesel engines. The OP didn't say what car he had. I just put in what you should do if you had a Toyo Diesel engine.

 

Re home work I do look in the book, and if it says what you should do I do it. I happen to think that Toyo know a bit more on the cars they make, that some peeps on TVF. 

Well this is not from me, but it is in miles, you can do the x 1.6 thing.....

 

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tips-advice/stop-changing-your-oil.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...