Oil change

toast1

1 minute ago, transam said:

"Recommend" is not what I was asking. You said the 2.4/2.8 uses synthetic, I just wanted clarification, NOT what you dealer says.

My ol' Vigo had semi and sometimes syn during it's time with me...What they put in it when new in 2007 I cannot remember, may have been mineral...

To save me looking it up, why don't you just go into Toyo and ask. Then you will be a clued up as me. I said FULL SYN: not just Syn. Or you could phone Toyo head office BKK. Their No: is 023861000 you might believe them. But I doubt it.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

To save me looking it up, why don't you just go into Toyo and ask. Then you will be a clued up as me. I said FULL SYN: not just Syn. Or you could phone Toyo head office BKK. Their No: is 023861000 you might believe them. But I doubt it.

You said Toyota now use synthetic in 2.8, which means NOT semi-synthetic which the 3.0lt uses as stock...

If you are now saying your dealer said use syn and NOT Toyota thats all I want to know......

3 minutes ago, transam said:

You said Toyota now use synthetic in 2.8, which means NOT semi-synthetic which the 3.0lt uses as stock...

If you are now saying your dealer said use syn and NOT Toyota thats all I want to know......

Wish you would make up your mind. You just said you didn't want to know what dealer said. You needed clarification.

5 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Thank you for putting it in I couldn't be bothered. That's not in my new book it only goes up to page 632. Might be that the Revo has some different bit's in it.

It has the same running gear.....Engine/lubrication...

Just now, fredob43 said:

Wish you would make up your mind. You just said you didn't want to know what dealer said. You needed clarification.

Blimey chum, talk about dodge my question....Show me how YOU know the 2.4/2.8 uses synthetic oil and NOT semi-syn as the 3.0lt did......

If you are now saying your dealer recommends, but Toyota does not stipulate the use of synthetic, just say so.....

Folk are reading this and maybe worried about not using synthetic...

18 minutes ago, transam said:

Blimey chum, talk about dodge my question....Show me how YOU know the 2.4/2.8 uses synthetic oil and NOT semi-syn as the 3.0lt did......

If you are now saying your dealer recommends, but Toyota does not stipulate the use of synthetic, just say so.....

Folk are reading this and maybe worried about not using synthetic...

I'm not going to reply to any of your post in future. As you change thing's just to suit yourself.

If anyone want to know about what to use or put in your Toyo car please phone Toyo. They speak English and will be very helpful. I put their No: in an above post. Tip never believe anything that the so called know it all's put in TVF.

Point in question a few weeks ago there was a post about changing auto gearbox oil I said that it should be changed at 40th km some of the Know it all's said it would be fine for many th more. What did it turn out to be well you've guessed it 40th now what a surprise.  

2 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I'm not going to reply to any of your post in future. As you change thing's just to suit yourself.

If anyone want to know about what to use or put in your Toyo car please phone Toyo. They speak English and will be very helpful. I put their No: in an above post. Tip never believe anything that the so called know it all's put in TVF.  

Gawd, yet you said 2.4/2.8 uses synthetic oil but will not show the me/the readers where that is written in black and white..

You are right, you cannot backup what you wrote, to be ignored.

I reckon, though could be wrong, that your dealer convinced you to use the more expensive stuff....

I thought every modern engine today has a recommendation of fully synthetic. Especially turbo engines. So I'm wrong on that then. Anyway when we get the Fortuner serviced for the first time at the Toyota dealer, they will put the right stuff in. I'll enquire about it to satisfy my curiosity though. I'm a petrol-head from way back but not in Thailand and not diesels !

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Gawd, yet you said 2.4/2.8 uses synthetic oil but will not show the me/the readers where that is written in black and white..

You are right, you cannot backup what you wrote, to be ignored.

I reckon, though could be wrong, that your dealer convinced you to use the more expensive stuff....

I have added a bit on the this post suggest you read as you were one of the peeps that said and Auto gear box oil would last for yonks. Even quoting an old Volvo you once had several decades ago.

14 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I have added a bit on the this post suggest you read as you were one of the peeps that said and Auto gear box oil would last for yonks. Even quoting an old Volvo you once had several decades ago.

What on earth are you talking about now.....Crazy stuff...????

4 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

I thought every modern engine today has a recommendation of fully synthetic. Especially turbo engines. So I'm wrong on that then. Anyway when we get the Fortuner serviced for the first time at the Toyota dealer, they will put the right stuff in. I'll enquire about it to satisfy my curiosity though. I'm a petrol-head from way back but not in Thailand and not diesels !

You are not wrong. You will get Full Syn oil on your next service. Provided you go to a Toyo garage. If you look at the container it will say Toyota Full Syn: oil. Tip ask if they will let you stand by your car when it's serviced if they have nothing to hide they will let you. My one dose anyway. Just keep out of their way.

Not all grease the prop that should be done at 10th intervals if you stand next to it you can point out you would like it done.

2 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

You seem to forget very simple things. If I have time I will look up the post and ALL can see how wrong you were yet again.

I forget nothing, you were way off topic, trying to dodge my question..

I reckon you cannot answer it because your dealer puts the best in which you pay for, but Toyota designed it to run on semi...now be honest...

Spend your time looking to back up the info you first posted.... If you were wrong just say so...

13 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Petrol filter it's recommended that you check at 30th if it needs changing do it. If not just keep an eye on it.

All the above is for Toyota Diesel cars

PETROL filter on a DIESEL car?    LOL

4 minutes ago, transam said:

In the words of a certain Captain....

"Well spotted Wilson, I wondered who would spot that first"....????

Well it seems that you didn't spot it as you never replied to the OP question on fuel filter. Even if you did you would have said wait till the light come up and then go thousands of Km further and you'll be fine.

Just like my friend a few weeks ago, he never had his light come up before his car came to a stop in the middle of know where. He managed to get to a garage and change the filter. Thank Buddha he wasn't traveling at night. 

All I can say is the fuel filter check is in the new Toyo book. Go look it up.

By the way the post I was referring to on Gearbox oil change is on page 14 heading Chevy Captiva problems. Seems both the Toyo and the Chevy more than likely others, both have to have an auto gearbox oil change at 40th km.

36 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Well it seems that you didn't spot it as you never replied to the OP question on fuel filter. Even if you did you would have said wait till the light come up and then go thousands of Km further and you'll be fine.

Just like my friend a few weeks ago, he never had his light come up before his car came to a stop in the middle of know where. He managed to get to a garage and change the filter. Thank Buddha he wasn't traveling at night. 

All I can say is the fuel filter check is in the new Toyo book. Go look it up.

By the way the post I was referring to on Gearbox oil change is on page 14 heading Chevy Captiva problems. Seems both the Toyo and the Chevy more than likely others, both have to have an auto gearbox oil change at 40th km.

You are digging a deeper hole....Yawn.....

Just tell us if the 2.4/2.8 Definitely must use synthetic oil....

My gardener has a 2018 Toyota Prerunner E (lucky gardener).  I have the same.  I took mine in for 20k service and paid about 2300 Baht.  He took his in for 20k service and paid about 1400 Baht.  The difference was the grade of oil.  Yes, the default appears to be full sythetic, but that doesn't mean you can't opt for regular and still keep the warranty in effect.

My 2018 Revo book says nothing about full sythetic.

Come on guys, four ‘kin pages on how long to make a can of oil last.

Holiday is over, and some of you have to go back to work. So let’s call it a day shall we.

Come on next topic... Doesn’t matter if it’s stupid, been done many times before... how about how long should my battery last, or how dark should my tint be, or which are the best cheapest tires for my Vios/Swift/Toyo or whatever you have....

or a real pearl which hasn’t been done for at least six months....

On 10/12/2019 at 1:54 PM, transam said:

You get condensation (water) inside the engine, one of the reasons they advise to change at a km reading or 6 months...

Depending on the ride, but for grocery-getters I use this guide..

But basic mineral oil at 5000km..

Semi-synthetic at 10,000km..

Synthetic 10 to 15,000km..

Fuel filter, look in the handbook, you may have a dash warning light for that...

PS. The dark colour of an oil doesn't necessarily mean it's finished..

Most dashboard warning lights are only there to waste your money.

Especially when you need an extra tool to set the light back. 

I change my oil every 5,000 km's with filter and my engine thanks me for.

I've got 319,000 km on the clock, engine ticking like a Swiss clockwerk.

Service is very important, obviously not for the majority of Thai people. They only go when it's usually too late.

OP, change your oil and filter. There are cheap places where all mechanics buy their oil and filter. 

I buy my stuff there and go to a gas station where the guy also cleans my air filter and lets all oil drain. 

6 liter of good oil around 600 baht, filter 200 baht ( no problem when it's a copy when you change it often)  and around 200 baht for the gas station guy.

I never go to Mitsubishi and pay twice or more for something like an oil change. 

Thanks for the information. Most useful.

I have a 2003 Nissan 1.4 car, I usually get the oil changed every year with basic oil, going to a repair chain store (though I've seen news videos where they don't use the oil they promise or even don't change it at all). I guess I could just buy the oil and take it to my mechanic.

I drive in city traffic, stop and start, and have only done about 1000 miles this year, very low.

I don't know if heavy city traffic driving makes a difference, but wonder if I can just leave it 18 or 36 months, where I may have done 2-3000 miles.

Do you change your air filter every year?
In recent years, the filter has been quite clean, doesn't look like it needs replacing at all. I am tempted not to, as there is only a little black stuff in it. Can I do this every 2 years if its not that dirty?

Thanks

6 hours ago, toast1 said:

I drive in city traffic, stop and start, and have only done about 1000 miles this year, very low.

I don't know if heavy city traffic driving makes a difference, but wonder if I can just leave it 18 or 36 months, where I may have done 2-3000 miles.

Do you change your air filter every year?
In recent years, the filter has been quite clean, doesn't look like it needs replacing at all. I am tempted not to, as there is only a little black stuff in it. Can I do this every 2 years if its not that dirty?

You should still change the oil and filter at the specified time interval. With such low mileage it's even more important. As noted above you get condensation in the crankcase if the engine doesn't get chance to warm through, go for a long run occasionally to get things nice and warmed up and dried out.

For the air filter leave it alone, maybe get them to blow it out with compressed air when they do the oil-change. Unless it's really black, damaged or damp no need to replace.

OK 

Will do

I think in the old days the filter used to get really dirty, as cars used to belch out a lot of soot.

But with modern cars and trucks being so efficient and filtered, even though there are far more of them, the filter stays clean.

Thanks

On 10/14/2019 at 5:02 PM, Crossy said:

For the air filter leave it alone, maybe get them to blow it out with compressed air

Never blow out air filters. You run the risk of tearing the paper.

Many links agreeing with this ... here's one ...

http://www.austces.com.au/page/service/service-tips/air-filters-to-clean-or-replace/

Our recommendation is to never clean engine air filters with compressed air, and it is the same opinion of most engine, filter and machinery manufacturers. ... Air filters are not designed to withstand 100 psi. Using a blow gun at 100 psi very close to the filter paper will blow holes in the filter paper.

8 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Never blow out air filters. You run the risk of tearing the paper.

Many links agreeing with this ... here's one ...

http://www.austces.com.au/page/service/service-tips/air-filters-to-clean-or-replace/

Our recommendation is to never clean engine air filters with compressed air, and it is the same opinion of most engine, filter and machinery manufacturers. ... Air filters are not designed to withstand 100 psi. Using a blow gun at 100 psi very close to the filter paper will blow holes in the filter paper.

But you don't hold the 100psi gun up close to the filter. You hold well back from it so there is little pressure, all you are doing is back flushing it with similar pressure it is used too from the other side..

On 10/14/2019 at 8:26 AM, fredob43 said:

If you care to read the new book it states that you should now use just Full Syn oil in the 2.4/2.8lt and the recommended time between oil changes is still 5 to 10th KM. Is that good enough for your longevity. Oh and that went for the last 3lt lump. That had semi Syn recommended.

Just a heads up for you...

Had an email back from Toyota, it says the Revo and Fortuner is designed to use semi-synthetic or synthetic oil...Seems your book or dealer is wrong.

Owners of the above can now relax, just don't use straight mineral oil.. ????

Archived