Oil change

toast1

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, transam said:

Just a heads up for you...

Had an email back from Toyota, it says the Revo and Fortuner is designed to use semi-synthetic or synthetic oil...Seems your book or dealer is wrong.

Owners of the above can now relax, just don't use straight mineral oil.. ????

Thanks for that. But why would you use semi Syn: and not full Syn: as the price is about the same in Toyo garage give or take a few bht.

Just popped into the Toyo garage, well yesterday, and they had a service sheet showing the 2.4. 2.8lt recommending Full Syn: They said I can put anything in it if I wanted to save monies.

So if it's OK with you I'll pay the few Pence extra and use Full Syn: I'll also continue to do the 10th service at 5th as I have always done.

I don't pay out 1.6+mil: BHT and then try and save a couple of pounds/$.   

1 minute ago, Vacuum said:

How do you check it?

I don't check anything myself. Never get my hands dirty now. But when I did my 30th service I got the chaps in my Toyo garage to take the thing apart and let me see what the filter was like inside. I have already posted a snap of the condition of mine. But if you haven't seen it here it is again. And yes I did change it.

IMGP0001 (2).JPG

On 10/14/2019 at 9:20 AM, JAS21 said:

Come on guys, four ‘kin pages on how long to make a can of oil last.

Holiday is over, and some of you have to go back to work. So let’s call it a day shall we.

Come on next topic... Doesn’t matter if it’s stupid, been done many times before... how about how long should my battery last, or how dark should my tint be, or which are the best cheapest tires for my Vios/Swift/Toyo or whatever you have....

or a real pearl which hasn’t been done for at least six months....

You forgot the tyre pressure issues....

47 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Thanks for that. But why would you use semi Syn: and not full Syn: as the price is about the same in Toyo garage give or take a few bht.

Just popped into the Toyo garage, well yesterday, and they had a service sheet showing the 2.4. 2.8lt recommending Full Syn: They said I can put anything in it if I wanted to save monies.

So if it's OK with you I'll pay the few Pence extra and use Full Syn: I'll also continue to do the 10th service at 5th as I have always done.

I don't pay out 1.6+mil: BHT and then try and save a couple of pounds/$.   

What you do is of no concern to me.

You quoted that 2.4/2.8 use synthetic oil, I thought you were wrong. Toyota told me that you were wrong.

End of story....Forget it.

3 hours ago, transam said:

What you do is of no concern to me.

You quoted that 2.4/2.8 use synthetic oil, I thought you were wrong. Toyota told me that you were wrong.

End of story....Forget it.

Didn't Toyo say use either Semi or Full syn: The service sheet in the Toyo garage and my book suggest full syn: so I will use full syn:

Next time I go into the garage I'll find out the difference in price but I bet it's only a few Pence.    

5 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Didn't Toyo say use either Semi or Full syn: The service sheet in the Toyo garage and my book suggest full syn: so I will use full syn:

Next time I go into the garage I'll find out the difference in price but I bet it's only a few Pence.    

You posted false info, end of story.

Toyota do NOT say you must use Synthetic as you originally said.

Post the book page that "suggests" using full synthetic, just for me...

I am waiting for another reply from Toyota, will let all know when I get it...

1 minute ago, johng said:

In another thread it was suggested I use fully synthetic in my motorcycle...the price for 1 liter of Shell Advance "mineral" oil 107 baht.
1 liter of Shell Ultra fully synthetic 410 baht

Garages have been offering synthetic from a drum and hose to bring the price down. If you buy it in a can it is still expensive...

4 hours ago, Fruit Trader said:

30th service, vehicle must be quite old. What model is it?

fredob43:

"But when I did my 30th service I got the chaps in my Toyo garage to take the thing apart and let me see what the filter was like inside.

It's a 2.1/2 year old Tuna Spivo. With now 30,100km on the clock. I do do a few long runs. But I thought it was about average.?"

30th service in 30,000 km? Every time you fill up the tank you do a service?

????

1 hour ago, transam said:

Garages have been offering synthetic from a drum and hose to bring the price down. If you buy it in a can it is still expensive...

Toyo sell all their oil from sealed plastic containers (Cans). They come in 5lt, 2lt and 1 lt, I'll take snap of same next time I'm there.

Just because you pay more for your stuff that's up to you.

You might like to try Toyo for your next lot of oil. As you will save some monies.

23 minutes ago, Fab5BKK said:

fredob43:

"But when I did my 30th service I got the chaps in my Toyo garage to take the thing apart and let me see what the filter was like inside.

It's a 2.1/2 year old Tuna Spivo. With now 30,100km on the clock. I do do a few long runs. But I thought it was about average.?"

30th service in 30,000 km? Every time you fill up the tank you do a service?

????

Might be time for you to get a life.

51 minutes ago, Fab5BKK said:

Same to you!

30th service @ 30,000 km in 30 months... too funny

then you want to give advice on how to maintain a vehicle ????

You seem to have a problem with No:

Come on then how would you put in say 30,100km for example. Or you could try $30,100 if it's easier for you to work out. I'll give you a clue it's more than 1,000.

14 hours ago, transam said:

Owners of the above can now relax, just don't use straight mineral oil

If the oil meets the specification - as linked - it can be mineral, semi or syn

Just because Toyota - or any other manufacturer - says it is "designed" for one or the other does not make it so

https://www.api.org/products-and-services/engine-oil/eolcs-categories-and-classifications/oil-categories

12 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Toyo sell all their oil from sealed plastic containers (Cans). They come in 5lt, 2lt and 1 lt, I'll take snap of same next time I'm there.

Just because you pay more for your stuff that's up to you.

You might like to try Toyo for your next lot of oil. As you will save some monies.

Might be time for you to get a life.

B-quik were selling Mobil 1 synthetic for diesels, plus oil filter for I think 1200bht last year. They advertised they can do that because they buy stock in drums..

I now do not own a Toyota, but I have provided the correct answer from Toyota regarding your mistake to clear the issue up for Toyota owners here.....

10 hours ago, fredob43 said:

You seem to have a problem with No:

Come on then how would you put in say 30,100km for example. Or you could try $30,100 if it's easier for you to work out. I'll give you a clue it's more than 1,000.

If you wrote 30kkm service folk may have an idea what you are talking about, if you write 30th service it means the service after the 29th service....????

8 hours ago, canthai55 said:

If the oil meets the specification - as linked - it can be mineral, semi or syn

Just because Toyota - or any other manufacturer - says it is "designed" for one or the other does not make it so

https://www.api.org/products-and-services/engine-oil/eolcs-categories-and-classifications/oil-categories

Well yes, but you really would have to stick to changing it at 5000km .????

13 hours ago, fredob43 said:

I used to use it as there was a shop nearby. 5lt? in a red canister about 1800 baht. If I remember. Like much of Sukhumvit in Bangkok shop gone now, whole block replaced by some mall of some sort.

If You look at those Bulk Toyo , Honda , Duckhams ect containers closely the labei has printed in tiny print the names of the 2 Bangkok Blenders who make it for them . I must say Moonlover is right, why all ‘tis bickering when theres that Book in the Vehicle that makes life so easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, transam said:

If you wrote 30kkm service folk may have an idea what you are talking about, if you write 30th service it means the service after the 29th service....????

Sorry but if peeps cant work out 30th km service they have to be a bit thick.

2 hours ago, alan grice said:

PS, i get around a Lot and judge the Dealt Service by their Internet speed, Coffee n Biscuits, and can i see into the Workshop at what they are doing to my Vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Even though I can see what they are doing when servicing it. I always stand next to my lump as they do it. For a couple of reasons. My technical Thai is at best rough so I point out any extras that are not on the list that I want done or checked, and I can see for myself what is happening under the car. Also gives me a chance to check some of the Air filters as they clean them. If I think they are past their sell by date I change them. Thais might let them go as it saves monies.

3 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Sorry but if peeps cant work out 30th km service they have to be a bit thick.

So on your planet July 30th is July 30,000.

I actually picked up 30th service and replied from post #64 then later noticed I had replied to the racing chipped Tuna guy from Gallos II.

My mistake for not applying adequate compensation.

Archived