Extend year visa where and how long before

Can anybody help me with some questions? My O-A visa was expired 27 dec 2018. On 14dec 2018 I came into Thailand and was granted to stay until 13 december 2019. In april In April I left with a multiple re-entry permit and now I am still in the Netherlands.

Because of the new law about hospital Insurance after 31 oktober I would like to get a new retirement visa or extension of the O-A visa before 1 november. First question: What is the maximum time you can apply before? second: can I apply everywhere in thailand example Hua Hin if I stay there some weeks in a hotel? One other option is to go back to a home near Surin, but then I have the TM 30 story. Do I apply for an extension based on the O_A visa or a new retirement visa.

You can apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement up to 30 days early or 45 days at some offices.

You will be extending your last entry you got from your OA visa.

You have to apply for the extension at the designated immigration office for where you are living.

What will you using for financial proof when you apply.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement up to 30 days early or 45 days at some offices.

You will be extending your last entry you got from your OA visa.

You have to apply for the extension at the designated immigration office for where you are living.

What will you using for financial proof when you apply.

Thank you for your help. In the bank at Surin and also at Huahin I have more then 1 year a deposit over 800.000 THB. My extension of stay was the last time until 13 december 2019. If I can apply 45 days before, it means after 28 oktober and I probably should not need the hospital Insurance from the new law.

If I arrive at Huahin and live there in an appartment, this could be considered as my living place, even if I am there just about 1 week (with monthly rent contract and registered by the TM 35 by owner)?

15 minutes ago, Sjoerd said:

Thank you for your help. In the bank at Surin and also at Huahin I have more then 1 year a deposit over 800.000 THB. My extension of stay was the last time until 13 december 2019. If I can apply 45 days before, it means after 28 oktober and I probably should not need the hospital Insurance from the new law.

If I arrive at Huahin and live there in an appartment, this could be considered as my living place, even if I am there just about 1 week (with monthly rent contract and registered by the TM 35 by owner)?

There is no requirement to have insurance for a extension of stay based upon retirement application. That is only needed to apply for a OA long stay visa at an embassy. 

If you can show proof of residence in Hua Hin you can apply for it there.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no requirement to have insurance for a extension of stay based upon retirement application. That is only needed to apply for a OA long stay visa at an embassy. 

If you can show proof of residence in Hua Hin you can apply for it there.

Thank you again Ubonjoe. On this forum I read last week Insurance is needed at every 1 year extension; hopefully this is wrong. I still wonder what I can do  renew the O-A visa or change it to a non im O visa which could be extended to 1 year after 90 days (as I read in this forum). I am not experienced , was 23 years at Huahin about 7 months by year on non imm O multiple with borderruns. Just 2 years ago made an O-A visa in Holland.

14 minutes ago, Sjoerd said:

On this forum I read last week Insurance is needed at every 1 year extension; hopefully this is wrong.

It is wrong. Just speculation by a few members that have not read the entire police order that was issued about it.

• Like 1

So as I understood now: I can apply for an 1 year extension of stay, from my last entry I got from the O-A Visa, based upon retirement. I not need medical insurance. I can apply 30 days before (some offices 60 days).

What type of extension do I get then. Can I safter still apply for an extension driving license, buy a car etc? I thought this was only possible with an non imm O or O-A visa.

12 minutes ago, Sjoerd said:

What type of extension do I get then.

You will apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement. You will need to have a 800k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 toatling 800k baht.

12 minutes ago, Sjoerd said:

Can I safter still apply for an extension driving license, buy a car etc? I thought this was only possible with an non imm O or O-A visa.

You can get all of the above with an extension.

53 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement. You will need to have a 800k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 toatling 800k baht.

You can get all of the above with an extension.

Sorry to ask so lot and your advice is very helpfull...Then the extension is based on the original O-A visa , which gives the possibility of Thai driving license etc??

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:
3 hours ago, Sjoerd said:

On this forum I read last week Insurance is needed at every 1 year extension; hopefully this is wrong.

It is wrong. Just speculation by a few members that have not read the entire police order that was issued about it.

You are rarely wrong, but the police order (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ynNUtZj4uGrdcKAt-4r8DjxNR_7XwbOI) amending purpose 2.22 for extension of stay does seem to state in Criterion (6) that those extending an entry using a Non O-A visa will need to show health insurance. It seems pretty illogical to make a distinction between extension of an entry based on a Non O and one based on a Non O-A, but (unless premature senility is impairing my understanding) that seems to be what the amended order is mandating.

33 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You are rarely wrong, but the police order (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ynNUtZj4uGrdcKAt-4r8DjxNR_7XwbOI) amending purpose 2.22 for extension of stay does seem to state in Criterion (6) that those extending an entry using a Non O-A visa will need to show health insurance. It seems pretty illogical to make a distinction between extension of an entry based on a Non O and one based on a Non O-A, but (unless premature senility is impairing my understanding) that seems to be what the amended order is mandating.

Where does it state that.

You really need to read the complete immigration announcement to comprehend it.

Read the pages here. Immigration order for OA insurance.pdf

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Maybe this is also wrong?PHUKET: The Immigration Bureau has announced that the mandatory health insurance requirement for foreigners applying for a one-year extension to stay based on a Non-Immigrant O-A visa will come into effect on Oct 31.

immigration
By The Phuket News

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/immigration-to-enforce-mandatory-health-insurance-for-one-year-o-a-stays-from-oct-31-73194.php#gO46Lf3P8D6VvmC4.99

Is there a solution to get an other 1 year visa, as an extention based on an O_A needs a health Insurance??  I also still have a 8 years old Thai sun registered in my name (his mother died) and I am 59 years old.

5 hours ago, Sjoerd said:

Thank you again Ubonjoe. On this forum I read last week Insurance is needed at every 1 year extension; hopefully this is wrong. I still wonder what I can do  renew the O-A visa or change it to a non im O visa which could be extended to 1 year after 90 days (as I read in this forum). I am not experienced , was 23 years at Huahin about 7 months by year on non imm O multiple with borderruns. Just 2 years ago made an O-A visa in Holland.

Maybe you do not understand ubonjoe advice.

Forget about your non O-A.

You can now apply for extensions for permission of stay. Can be based on retirement or other such as marriage etc.

You are not extending your visa. Just read up on requirements for extensions. Sounds like based on retirement your fit. Forget about your O-A. Its done and dusted.

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Maybe you do not understand ubonjoe advice.

Forget about your non O-A.

You can now apply for extensions for permission of stay. Can be based on retirement or other such as marriage etc.

You are not extending your visa. Just read up on requirements for extensions. Sounds like based on retirement your fit. Forget about your O-A. Its done and dusted.

Thank you for the advice Dr Jack. I understand the O-A visa cannot be extended (expired 27dec 2018, but the period permitted to stay,until 13 dec 2019 (which was extended last year based on the O-A visa).

As Ubonjoe confessed the driving license etc could be renewed because the extension is based on the O-A visa. As I read here all based on the O-A visa could be a problem as example the Phuket news above tell, but UdonJoe tells this only concerns visa issued after 31 october 2019. This all is why I asked if I can get easy a Non -O visa in Thailand if need.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:
8 hours ago, BritTim said:

I am looking at the amended criteria for an extension 2.22 (in case of retirement). There are two items in the amended order that I consider significant:

Reason of Necessity

<...>

(2) An alien who has been granted Non Immigrant Visa Class O-A according to the Criterion 6 will; be permitted to stay for a period of insurance coverage.

Criteria for consideration

<...>

(6) Only for an alien who has been granted Non-Immigrant Visa Class O-A, must buy a Thai health insurance online, which covers ...

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

I am looking at the amended criteria for an extension 2.22 (in case of retirement). There are two items in the amended order that I consider significant:

Read page 11 of the file I posted a link for and you will see that it only mentions entries to the country.

Just because the requirement for the insurance was put in a police order for extension of stay doesn't mean it will be needed for one.

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Read page 11 of the file I posted a link for and you will see that it only mentions entries to the country.

Just because the requirement for the insurance was put in a police order for extension of stay doesn't mean it will be needed for one.

I have read page 11 (which only talks about conditions for entry to Thailand) and the rest of the file you cite. Nowhere can I see any suggestion that the revised criteria for purpose 2.22 for an extension of stay will not be enforced. That is especially the case as that revision was published the same day as the memo in page 11. It might be arguable if the conditions for entry to the country in the memo on page 11 had been sent at a later date (though I would still be sceptical) but I simply find it implausible that a memo on conditions for entry into Thailand overrides a revised police order issued the same day, simply because it does not mention extensions of stay.

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Nowhere can I see any suggestion that the revised criteria for purpose 2.22 for an extension of stay will not be enforced.

You can sure if was for extension they would of been stated that in the order.

There is also this in the revision to police order 138/2557.

image.png.83438c5cc29421b0bec2f4af9b7704a4.png

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:
19 hours ago, BritTim said:

Nowhere can I see any suggestion that the revised criteria for purpose 2.22 for an extension of stay will not be enforced.

You can sure if was for extension they would of been stated that in the order.

There is also this in the revision to police order 138/2557.

image.png.83438c5cc29421b0bec2f4af9b7704a4.png

Can you kindly comment on the meaning in Criterion (6) copied below:

(6) Only for an alien, who has been granted Non-immigrant Visa Class O-A, must buy a Thai health insurance online, which covers the length of stay in the Kingdom with [....]

Considering a person who enters as non-O-A and later stays on extensions. Does has been granted mean only the valid period the OA (first year, etc), and excludes the period covered by extensions? If that's the case then it all becomes quite clear. 

5 hours ago, rabas said:

Can you kindly comment on the meaning in Criterion (6) copied below:

(6) Only for an alien, who has been granted Non-immigrant Visa Class O-A, must buy a Thai health insurance online, which covers the length of stay in the Kingdom with [....]

Considering a person who enters as non-O-A and later stays on extensions. Does has been granted mean only the valid period the OA (first year, etc), and excludes the period covered by extensions? If that's the case then it all becomes quite clear. 

It is only  needed for getting a one year entry from a OA visa.

• Thanks 1