Transporting motorcycle?

SilentSal

Hello everyone,

I'm planning on buying a 600cc motorcycle in Nakhon Ratchasima and moving it to Pattaya.

Does anybody know any cost effective ways to do this? How did you guys do this?

I've heard using the post office or the train but i'm quite skeptical. Should i just rent a pick-up truck and take it like that? (although i don't want to have to go back to Nakhon Ratchasima to return the truck..)

Thanks.

A motorcycle has 2 wheels and an engine. So, why not drive it? I's only 340 kilometers!

A 600 cc bike should have no problem with that. If you think you, or the bike are not up to this, why buy it in the first place?

There is rumour and gossip that the PO do not handle bikes of 250cc or over anymore.

I cannot vouch for the authenticity of this, but i've done lightweight bikes in the past via the PO.

But i also suggest as another poster said,  just ride the thing there....

31 minutes ago, Bullie said:

A motorcycle has 2 wheels and an engine. So, why not drive it? I's only 340 kilometers!

A 600 cc bike should have no problem with that. If you think you, or the bike are not up to this, why buy it in the first place?

The reason i didn't think of driving it myself is because i thought motorbikes/big bikes aren't allowed on highways? i would have to use a GPS and i'm kind of new to living here so i don't know about all of the rules yet.

This is interesting, at some point in the future I would like to take my Motorcycle up to Chiang Mai (from Bangkok) for a bit of a road trip (long weekend sort of thing) up there... but I really don't want to be bothered with having to ride up there. 

The train used to be an option, but they now have a limitation of <150cc. 

Perhaps post is the option...

26 minutes ago, SilentSal said:

The reason i didn't think of driving it myself is because i thought motorbikes/big bikes aren't allowed on highways? i would have to use a GPS and i'm kind of new to living here so i don't know about all of the rules yet.

Big bikes are alowed on highways,i have ridden my old 400cc all over the country,but any bike are not alowed on toll roads,enjoy the ride,,,

27 minutes ago, SilentSal said:

Hi fella, bikes are fine on Highways not Motorways.

Think a one-way truck hire from Korat is hard to do. If you are in Pattaya then hire from there.

If you ride from Korat there are some good roads for bikes most of the way, just do not go via Bangkok.

Jeez.

Call me old fashioned but....

There's some guys on this thread as bad as those Harley guys in the States that trailer the bikes 30-50 miles shy of Sturgis, and then ride in all cool and macho....

Embarrassing.

RIDE IT !

48 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is interesting, at some point in the future I would like to take my Motorcycle up to Chiang Mai (from Bangkok) for a bit of a road trip (long weekend sort of thing) up there... but I really don't want to be bothered with having to ride up there. 

? ? ? ? ? ?

Best sell it then.

1 hour ago, SilentSal said:

Best way to learn about a country is to get out there and explore. So, you get lost a few times. GPS will help you out I'm sure. And you may have some great adventures on the way.

Call yourself a biker? Stop being a Nancy and get there. ????

Yes ride it off-course, 340km is not that much.

So you are new to riding here, be careful and don't go too fast when you pass small roads and U-turns. I only go real fast when there is no chance of somebody coming out from a side road(soi)& U-turning. I normally ride slightly faster than the general traffic but keep an eye on my mirrors all the time because of the odd really fast moving car/bike coming quickly up from behind.

Generally the traffic gives me space out on the highways and I enjoy the experience. 

4 hours ago, SilentSal said:

As already written, only excluded from tollways (motorway 9 and 7 would be the ones to Pattaya).

But really NKR to Pattaya on normal highways is not rocket science.

You use highway #304, scenic "mountaineous" (hilly) route through Khao Yai and then on to #331 (direction Sattahip) and then misc routes like #3240 leading you to the eastside of Pattaya or go further south to get over to Jomtien.

Study the (online) map and you can go even without GPS.

Big bikes are alowed on highways,i have ridden my old 400cc all over the country,but any bike are not alowed on toll roads,enjoy the ride,,,

Yes and no. Bikes are 100% not allowed on tollways. The fine is really high. On highways however, it’s your luck. Sometimes you get stopped and sometimes not. In case of the former, the fine is usually between Thb200-400.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

Yes and no. Bikes are 100% not allowed on tollways. The fine is really high. On highways however, it’s your luck. Sometimes you get stopped and sometimes not. In case of the former, the fine is usually between Thb200-400.

Thb200-400 is really high?

no.

The train used to be an option, but they now have a limitation of  
Perhaps post is the option...

I sometimes use a ‘transporter’ for this, the ride from bkk to CM is mega boring.

I sometimes use him going home after 7-10 days in CM / CR etc.

He’s got an awesome set up, electric winch, covered box van and can take 2 bikes, let me know if you need his contact details.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

18 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Jeez.

Call me old fashioned but....

There's some guys on this thread as bad as those Harley guys in the States that trailer the bikes 30-50 miles shy of Sturgis, and then ride in all cool and macho....

Embarrassing.

RIDE IT !

? ? ? ? ? ?

Best sell it then.

It's a 310cc bike - not really particularly comfortable at 120kmh and certainly not enough grunt to accelerate out of trouble easily at 100kmh. 

BKK to CM is what? a 7 hour drive? Isn't it easier to just fly up there and enjoy the mountains for 2-3 days, then send the bike back?  

A long and boring journey just doesn't seem like my idea of fun unless its on something larger (which I don't yet have) but if limited to just a weekend I'd much rather spend the time riding in the hills rather than taking two days up just to get there and back. 

A slow and chilled road trip is a different matter.

Well we are all different.

I must admit, I don't have the same passion for long distance touring on bikes as when I was younger, where I was all over EU and also did a 3 month trip in Australia. 

Now I am more a comfort animal but love my day rides on my bike.

17 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

On highways however, it’s your luck.

Surprise news. Never heard of.

Would you categorize #304 and #331 as highways in this context?

Which overland routes would remain? None.

Even on #12 (east - west) there is not the slightest indication.

They even have signs for separate two wheeler paths for (small) motorbikes and bicycles.

Surprise news. Never heard of.
Would you categorize #304 and #331 as highways in this context?
Which overland routes would remain? None.
Even on #12 (east - west) there is not the slightest indication.
They even have signs for separate two wheeler paths for (small) motorbikes and bicycles.

Like I said, it depends on your luck. A few years ago, bikes were being stopped on certain sections of the Bang Na Trat underneath the elevated highway but I rode it quite a few times without being stopped.

I was stopped once on Hwy 1 BKK-Saraburi. Thb 400 fine but was told that fine good to continue on Hwy at least until as far as the next changwat where it is of course a different police control.

Police also pulled me over on Hwy 32 BKK-Ayuthaya but I slowed down to pull over and then sped off because they were already busy with other vehicles they had pulled over and I did not want to add to their workload.

I think the chances of getting pulled over is higher closer to BKK than say up in CM etc

What's the definition of a highway? I've ridden all over the North from CM including many dual carriageways (although I usually try to avoid them) without any problem.

I wouldn’t consider any of the roads up north as highways as such. Highways would be the major arteries around Bkk area such as hwy1, 7, Bang Na Trat etc. Basically any major dual carriageway with a frontage road can be considered a highway and the police might well exploit this to earn some extra baht.

On 10/12/2019 at 9:26 PM, Gweiloman said:

Motorbikes are generally allowed on highways.

There are a few highways where motorbikes are not allowed, but afaik these only exist in the Bangkok area and they have signs clearly indicating that motorbikes are not allowed. (and these always have a frontage road going parallel, motorbikes are just not allowed on the inner lanes which are seperated from the frontage road)

Archived