Visa for 7.5 month per year in Thailand

I class myself as someone who is relatively well informed about the visa situation for long stays in Thailand. However with changes first to the ceasing of income letters from the British Embassy and now compulsory Thai insurance for Non OA visa's I am having a drastic rethink on what my next step should be when my current retirement extension finishes in May 2020.

For the last 6 years I have been on extensions of stay based on retirement. For various reasons mainly because I only stay 7.5 months I do not want to transfer 65k per month from the UK into my Thai bank account. I had planned to let my extension of stay expire and instead apply for an OA visa when I go back to the UK next May. If used right I could have got 2 years out of this visa. This new Thai insurance requirment scuppers that. I always take out insurance from a reputable UK company for my 7 month stay, I certainly will not be changing to a Thai one.

I would like to hear any suggestions on a way forward, one that would not give me any problems when I enter for my 7.5 month stay at Suvarnabhumi airport. I don't want to take the risk of a Multi Entry Tourist visa. I am thinking maybe getting a single Non O based on marriage from London for the first 90 days and then extending by 60 days. I would then have to travel to Laos to get another Non O for the remainder of my stay. Can anyone suggest anything else? 

If it all is too much trouble, I will just revert to my extension of stay but use an agent for 13,000 baht in Pattaya something I never wanted to do but now have limited options.

I was just about to switch from extensions based on retirement (last 7 years) to non O-A. I changed mind with the possibility of the insurance requirement. 

I think its a no brainer for you. Yes you could use the married side of things or lock away 800k in FD account retirement) and just extend annually. Obviously you need to plan around date that you will be in los. 

I did my extension this past Tuesday at CW. For once it was pretty good. Arrived 11.40 back home phra ram 9 by 3.15pm. Its not that bad.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I was just about to switch from extensions based on retirement (last 7 years) to non O-A. I changed mind with the possibility of the insurance requirement. 

I think its a no brainer for you. Yes you could use the married side of things or lock away 800k in FD account retirement) and just extend annually. Obviously you need to plan around date that you will be in los. 

I did my extension this past Tuesday at CW. For once it was pretty good. Arrived 11.40 back home phra ram 9 by 3.15pm. Its not that bad.

Thanks for your comment. I should have mentioned I don't want to tie up 400k in a FD or even my Thai bank account. Until the UK pound recovers and when I get my state UK pension in 2.5 years I am not in the situation to be able to do that. I do have some UK company shares but I don't want to cash these in just to deposit the 400k. Good idea but one I have rejected, thanks.

1 hour ago, jimn said:

I class myself as someone who is relatively well informed about the visa situation for long stays in Thailand. However with changes first to the ceasing of income letters from the British Embassy and now compulsory Thai insurance for Non OA visa's I am having a drastic rethink on what my next step should be when my current retirement extension finishes in May 2020.

For the last 6 years I have been on extensions of stay based on retirement. For various reasons mainly because I only stay 7.5 months I do not want to transfer 65k per month from the UK into my Thai bank account. I had planned to let my extension of stay expire and instead apply for an OA visa when I go back to the UK next May. If used right I could have got 2 years out of this visa. This new Thai insurance requirment scuppers that. I always take out insurance from a reputable UK company for my 7 month stay, I certainly will not be changing to a Thai one.

I would like to hear any suggestions on a way forward, one that would not give me any problems when I enter for my 7.5 month stay at Suvarnabhumi airport. I don't want to take the risk of a Multi Entry Tourist visa. I am thinking maybe getting a single Non O based on marriage from London for the first 90 days and then extending by 60 days. I would then have to travel to Laos to get another Non O for the remainder of my stay. Can anyone suggest anything else? 

If it all is too much trouble, I will just revert to my extension of stay but use an agent for 13,000 baht in Pattaya something I never wanted to do but now have limited options.

Are you asking for ethical approval from the forum members for using an agent? I have no issue and I think it is an excellent option. It benefits you and it benefits lots of people in Thailand starting from agent, their staff, IOs. It is a win-win situation. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Are you asking for ethical approval from the forum members for using an agent? I have no issue and I think it is an excellent option. It benefits you and it benefits lots of people in Thailand starting from agent, their staff, IOs. It is a win-win situation. 

No not ethical approval and yes it might turn out to be the best option. I just resent doing it really, because it is so easy to do yourself. The OA was going to be so easy. I take out insurance anyway but just not expensive Thai insurance. From memory I think you use OA visas so its going to affect you too.

No not ethical approval and yes it might turn out to be the best option. I just resent doing it really, because it is so easy to do yourself. The OA was going to be so easy. I take out insurance anyway but just not expensive Thai insurance. From memory I think you use OA visas so its going to affect you too.
Yes I use O-A also I have an insurance which I intend to continue till I am eligible for Medicare in 6-year. Not sure if they will accept my insurance. I've decided to use an agent and abandon the idea of an O-A. Thai people don't have any idea of how health insurance should be structured to provide meaningful coverage. They don't have concepts of out of pocket expenses, deductible, co-insurance etc. As they understand agent better, I will use an agent rather than meeting with their inadequate fake insurance.

Sent from my Hi9plus using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onera1961 said:

Yes I use O-A also I have an insurance which I intend to continue till I am eligible for Medicare in 6-year. Not sure if they will accept my insurance. I've decided to use an agent and abandon the idea of an O-A. Thai people don't have any idea of how health insurance should be structured to provide meaningful coverage. They don't have concepts of out of pocket expenses, deductible, co-insurance etc. As they understand agent better, I will use an agent rather than meeting with their inadequate fake insurance.

Again the victim card. Along with few threads re compulsory insurance for new O-A. 

Been on cards for some time. Agree another stupid move by Thailand. No doubt another way to suck money from farang. Bit similar to requirement of funds in bank for extensions based on retirement.

Bottom line. Find better alternative or move on. 

Better option than cry about it

If you are married to a Thai, then the Non-immigrant "O" is another option, but you will need to leave every 90 days. 

These are issued by Thai consulates outside Thailand and good for one year. Approximately $200 USD. 

Take care. 

Why not obtain the Non Imm O ME Visa based on marriage to a Thai, at either HCMC or Savannakhet with no proof of funds required.

90 day entry + 60 day extension = 150 days.

1 x border run for another 90 days takes you to 8 months, with the option of another 60 day extension.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

90 day entry + 60 day extension = 150 days.

1 x border run for another 90 days takes you to 8 months, with the option of another 60 day extension.

Could you be more specific? Like based on the 1st day of entry being the 1st January as an example?

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, tcp7 said:

Could you be more specific? Like based on the 1st day of entry being the 1st January as an example?

OK, let's assume the Visa was issued on 20th Dec 2019, it will be valid until 19th December 2020.

Each entry is valid 90 days.

Each 90 day entry can be extended by a further 60 days at Immigration.

Assuming you enter Thailand on Jan 1st 2020.

First entry permission of stay is granted until March 30th. (90 days)

Extend for 60 days at Immigration (1,900 baht) until May 29th.

1st Border run and re-entry May 29th, permission of stay granted until August 26th. (90 days).

Extend for 60 days at Immigration (1,900 baht) until October 25th

2nd Border run and re-entry October 25th, permission of stay granted until January 22nd, (90 days), BUT because your Visa expiry date is December 19th, you should make a final border run just before this expiry date of the Visa.

3rd Border run and re-entry December 18th 2020, permission of stay granted until March 1th 2021.

Extend for 60 days at Immigration (1,900 baht) until May 9th 2021.

A total of almost 17 months stay with only 3 border runs, and 3 x 60 day extensions.

20 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Most Thai insurance policies require you to use specific hospitals or clinics that do not exist in small towns, only in large cities. 

18 hours ago, losgrad said:

If you are married to a Thai, then the Non-immigrant "O" is another option, but you will need to leave every 90 days. 

These are issued by Thai consulates outside Thailand and good for one year. Approximately $200 USD. 

Take care. 

He can avoid the need to leave the country by getting an extension of stay based on marriage. Will need to show 400K in the bank but unlike rrtirement extension no need to not tie it up, can spend it.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Again the victim card. Along with few threads re compulsory insurance for new O-A. 

Been on cards for some time. Agree another stupid move by Thailand. No doubt another way to suck money from farang. Bit similar to requirement of funds in bank for extensions based on retirement.

Bottom line. Find better alternative or move on. 

Better option than cry about it

Also bars aka brothels gets a bit old after a while. Not bad though from a person who doesn't live in Thailand, but strangely knows a lot about Thai bars.....mmmm….must read a lot (of BS) I guess.

jimn - I am in the same boat but live in Thailand 5 1/2 months of the year and 6 1/2 months in the US.  My Retirement Visa runs out in Jan 2020.  Been using the Retirement Visa the past 10 years.  I have no intention of putting 800,000 Baht or 400,000 Baht in an account in Thailand.  I also have health insurance that covers me anywhere I am.  Have never used it so far.  Always just paid my medical bills but prices sure have gone up.

One problem is that from what I read METV requires proof of current employment so retired person -- and self empliyed if no registered company - cannot get it.

I just looked into this as part of my contingency planning in case this requirement gets extended to extension under previously issued non-O visa.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

One problem is that from what I read METV requires proof of current employment so retired person -- and self empliyed if no registered company - cannot get it.

It really depends upon where you apply for it.

Many embassies and consulates have accepted proof you are retired.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I just looked into this as part of my contingency planning in case this requirement gets extended to extension under previously issued non-O visa.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well if it does roll down to retirement and marriage extensions in my opinion there will be a mass exodus from Thailand or a rush to using an agent. I am not going to deposit 800k or 400k in my account so continuning my retirement extension or moving to marriage extensions I am discounting. But back to my original question I am coming to the conclusion that I have 2 options. (1) The legal way. Non O (single) from UK (90 days) extend by 60 days at immigration (to visit Thai wife). After these 150 days trip to Savanakhet and get a Non O (multi) for the rest of my trip. This visa can then also be used for entry when I return after 4.5 months in the UK. I can then carry on the cylcle in much the same way. (2) The easier way, just use an agent. But you know what I really am reluctant too but feel I am maybe being pushed in this direction.

I'm not quite ready to retire yet.  In five years time I will probably retire.  Originally I thought that I would live in Thailand full time.  I worked in Bangkok for about 12 years back in the 90's and early 2000's.  However, now I'm a little less inclined to live there.  Really didn't like the air pollution last December and January when I was there.  Now I'm thinking about just living in Thailand over the winter months.  Something like early November through late March.  Perhaps a 90 day non-immigrant visa followed up by a 60 day extension would suit my needs.  It would also negate tying up 800K Thai baht in my Bangkok Bank account.  

• Like 1